cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Automatic Transmission Rebuilders

jarbra15
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about upgrading my 47RE transmission. I have nearly 150,000 miles on my stock tranny and it's starting to make noise in overdrive, so I'm thinking about replacing it with an upgraded one built for towing my 5th. wheel. I need your thoughts on the best transmission rebuilder. I've read some not so good reviews about ATS, so I an considering Suncoast or having a tranny shop rebuild with Goerend parts. Anyone who has any actual experience with either would help me decide. Thanks.
Brad & Carol
2001 Dodge 2500,Quad Cab, LB,5.9CTD,Auto,3.54
2004 Cedar Creek Silverback LRLFS
15K Lil Rocker hitch
Tekonsha-Prodigy Brake Controller
20 REPLIES 20

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
campingken wrote:
We have a 2003 Dodge 3500 diesel 4x4 with the 47 RE trans. We use it for towing and at 140,000 I decided to have it rebuilt before we had any major issues. Our local trans shop rebuilt it and upgraded the torque converter to a Billet. The out the door cost was just shy of $2500.

We now have 185,000 on the truck and the trans has been flawless. The truck is completely stock and does not have a HO motor.

What do you tow the horse trailer with? Do the horse still hear it coming a 1/4-1/2 mile away?

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
The rule of thumb for diesel people where I race is this:

Want a bullet proof Mopar tranny; get a Goerend.

Want a bullet proof Chevy tranny; get a Suncoast.

Don't race Fords. :B

(the last one I made up just to get Fish going. The other 2 are legit)
I will not requment a Suncoast to anyone. Their torque convertor left me stranded in no where montana with only 1400 miles on it. It shelled out and took out the front pump. I almost missed my Grand Daughter wedding because of it.That was the second one my rebuilder had fail on him. The Goerend he put in never give me a problem with 66K miles on it when I traded up in trucks.

If you had a Ford you wouldnt need a new trans. I have 250,000 mile on mine and all I do is change the fluid every year. But for rebuilt Ford transmission use Brians truck shop or John Wood
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
My BIL purchased a used 07 Dodge DRW truck from a man in Arizona and drove it back to Texas in desperation to find a dodge without the emissions stuff. It has a after market transmission that painted purple so not sure what aftermarket brand it is, but so far it's held up pretty good towing some serious loads that I'm sure would have burned up a factory one.

If it was purple, then it was more then likely an ATS Performance transmission.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

campingken
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2003 Dodge 3500 diesel 4x4 with the 47 RE trans. We use it for towing and at 140,000 I decided to have it rebuilt before we had any major issues. Our local trans shop rebuilt it and upgraded the torque converter to a Billet. The out the door cost was just shy of $2500.

We now have 185,000 on the truck and the trans has been flawless. The truck is completely stock and does not have a HO motor.
Ken & Kris + Heidi the dog
Sequim, Wa.
2003 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel
2017 Trails West Sierra Select 2 Horse slant load trailer

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
My BIL purchased a used 07 Dodge DRW truck from a man in Arizona and drove it back to Texas in desperation to find a dodge without the emissions stuff. It has a after market transmission that painted purple so not sure what aftermarket brand it is, but so far it's held up pretty good towing some serious loads that I'm sure would have burned up a factory one.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Turtle,
Thanks for the opportunity... LOL :B

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
jarbra15 wrote:
I'm thinking about upgrading my 47RE transmission. I have nearly 150,000 miles on my stock tranny and it's starting to make noise in overdrive, so I'm thinking about replacing it with an upgraded one built for towing my 5th. wheel. I need your thoughts on the best transmission rebuilder. I've read some not so good reviews about ATS, so I an considering Suncoast or having a tranny shop rebuild with Goerend parts. Anyone who has any actual experience with either would help me decide. Thanks.
15K Lil Rocker hitch

That Silverback is likely near the max 5er rating for the 3.54 gearing, have you considered going to a 4.10 gear to ease the strain on the 47RE?
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
path1 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Suncoast, goerend or Firepunk if you're interested in a bulletproof or upgraded trans.
If your making stock or near stock power though, save your money and find a decent shop to diagnose, service, adjust bands, or possibly rebuild, provided your ok with the OE mushbox performance of a 47/48re.
If I was rebuilding one today for stock power I'd still get a good aftermarket tq converter and an upgraded valve body just to improve the transmissions behaviour.

You don't NEED upgraded anything for what a stock 24v puts out and at only 150k on a 18 year old truck, how many more miles vs $ sunk into a trans do you expect out of it?

So how on our wet side would you recommend. Pickings seem small

I'm sorry, I don't have any experience getting a trans rebuilt around here.
However, Central Tansmission in Kent did a trans service on our old SRT recently. It was done properly and they were professional, fair price IMO and didn't try to jerk me around at all.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

I will not requment a Suncoast to anyone. Their torque convertor left me stranded in no where montana with only 1400 miles on it. It shelled out and took out the front pump. I almost missed my Grand Daughter wedding because of it.That was the second one my rebuilder had fail on him. The Goerend he put in never give me a problem with 66K miles on it when I traded up in trucks.

On your 2018 Ram?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
You could probably get with a good local rebuilder that will charge you half of what these Suncoast or other built transmission will cost. Then just go buy a Revmax TC and valve body for him to slap in on the rebuild and you will be good to go. Although, the valve body or even a build trans will be useless unless you tune it to increase line pressure. That is how they are able to handle so much and last a long time doing it.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

jarbra15
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I know I don't need a full blown built tranny for my stock truck but I would like to beef it up with an upgraded torque converter and valve body. I just don't want to drop 5K on it and have problems with it. That's why I'm asking questions. I have read a few bad reviews and don't want the same results.
Brad & Carol
2001 Dodge 2500,Quad Cab, LB,5.9CTD,Auto,3.54
2004 Cedar Creek Silverback LRLFS
15K Lil Rocker hitch

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Suncoast, goerend or Firepunk if you're interested in a bulletproof or upgraded trans.
If your making stock or near stock power though, save your money and find a decent shop to diagnose, service, adjust bands, or possibly rebuild, provided your ok with the OE mushbox performance of a 47/48re.
If I was rebuilding one today for stock power I'd still get a good aftermarket tq converter and an upgraded valve body just to improve the transmissions behaviour.

You don't NEED upgraded anything for what a stock 24v puts out and at only 150k on a 18 year old truck, how many more miles vs $ sunk into a trans do you expect out of it?

X2

No need to go with a Suncoast or any of the others transmissions built to handle more power unless the engine is putting out more power than stock. A good TC that has a lower than stock stall speed along with a good valve body(such as Revmax) that allows for more line pressure with trans tune will go a long way in transmission behavior and longevity on stock or even slightly over stock power levels.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I had my '04 Dodge rebuilt at 154K by a very good local small shop. Only one problem was that the Suncoast torque convertor shelled out 25 miles west of Glendive,Mt. on MT 200. UGH.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS