cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auxiliary fuel tank in front of the slide in camper

michaelaland
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks, was wondering how many of you have done this or seen it done and think its safe. I have a dodge ram 3500 dually with an 8 ft bed. I want to get a Lance camper 815 that is 8ft 3 inches and pull it back 9-12 inches so I can fit an auxiliary fuel tank in front of it. What do you guys think?
18 REPLIES 18

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
I have no idea about this subject because I've never done it but I do have an opinion. With the concern of being rear ended as with any truck camper arrangement the camper is going to be crushed if it's a high enough speed to ever worry about it actually being pushed forward, I would think these gas tanks that I see all over the place could handle such an impact as they were built specifically for the front of the pickup. I've seen them in every work truck configuration there is from landscaping to building contractors. I don't know the specs of these tanks but I imagine because of DOT rules they are hunkers of a tank. As far as the camper being shoved forward, that is going to be one hell of a rear end hit and the gas tank would be crushed and punctured as that is how they are designed on cars as well as being pushed forward into the cab. Would this kind of accident happen while moving? doubtful but standing still yes, but with the shear force of a rear end hit like that the truck would be pushed forward as well. With a rear accident of these proportions I would think anything would come into play including casualties from the hit itself. To be rear ended at a stoplight with a driver not paying attention at 65 MPH the aux tank is just going to be an added problem not the problem. I would not be concerned with this rig setup.

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
If you do this, would be a good bet. Find and get fuel spill insurance. If you were to get into a rearend. That hit the tank, then leaks out fuel. Your going to be glad to know that $$$$$$ is not coming out of your pocket for the cleanup.

Not sure how it works for normal pickups. But know if you have a extra tank. If it leaks your for sure going to pay for the cleanup.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
My previous rig was a 2003 Dodge Dually diesel truck with a Lance camper. I set the camper back far enough to install a 30 gallon Transfer Flo auxiliary tank with the automatic transfer pump installed.

I had a welding shop fab up a top and bottom angle iron rail to separate the tank and camper. Gave me a total of 70 gallon fuel capacity.

ryoung
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
I am not familiar with Lance campers, but it will need to be determined if the specific model in question is build (from the factor) such that is can be used on a short bed truck. i.e., the overhanging portion can be self supporting.

Yes, the Lance 815 is designed for both long and short bed trucks. The camper is wired to accept two pods at the rear corners. The pods are plugged into a standard 4 prong connector and provides the taillights when used in a short bed truck.

thanks for the picture, the only difference is you have the hangover in the back so that say someone slammed into you, the hangover would hit up against the truck bumper and the camper wouldnt not slide forward. In my case, the the Lance 815 has no hangover so it potentially could slide forward and squish my aux fuel tank up there? I guess that wouldnt be a big deal, perhaps the tank would work as a buffer?

Odds are the camper is going to crumble before the fuel tank does. If this is a big worry, it would be real easy to fabricate a heavy duty cage to protect the fuel tank. As long as the tank sits up about 2" so the camper floor would slide under the tank, there isn't anything else in the area to provide much force.

Nobody gives a second thought to the main fuel tank getting "squished." Why worry about this one?

Main fuel tank for any modern truck to my knowledge has the main fuel tank between the frame rails. Even chassis trucks with the tank in the rear are mounted between the frame rails and usually protected by the the rear bumper integrated into the bed or box attached to the truck.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If it gets "squished" so what? Diesel fuel, right? Doesn't work like gasoline. Doesn't cause a mushroom cloud of fire with a mere spark.

Nobody gives a second thought to the main fuel tank getting "squished." Why worry about this one?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
As far as "squishing" goes... getting hit with a camper as set up like mine is not really different from a typical overhanging camper in that avoidance is best- damage could happen.

but... the key think is to make a bulkhead at the front similar to what I show.
In my opinion, any component up there (gas tank, generator, etc) should not be the component that "acts" as this bulkhead. The bulkhead needs to be independent from the items places in it.

I think that is a fuel tank is going to be installed in the space, then a cutsom built bulkhead should be considered. this bulkhead will also keep the camper in place when strapping down the tie-downs. remember, the front tie-downs will want an angle to apply a force to keep the camper in place by that forward direction. In my opinion, the better product for this will be Tork-Lift by virtue of it s location (lower and more at and angle than say the Happi Jacs which will heave less of an angle.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
michaelaland wrote:
file:///C:/Users/micha/OneDrive/Desktop/camper%20pulled%20back.jpeg

how do you post a photo on here?

Photo posting is a lttle different from other site, but easy once you get used to it...

...go to SUB FORUM as well as THIS LINK.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I think the camper would squish before the fuel tank.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

michaelaland
Explorer
Explorer
file:///C:/Users/micha/OneDrive/Desktop/camper%20pulled%20back.jpeg

how do you post a photo on here?

michaelaland
Explorer
Explorer

michaelaland
Explorer
Explorer
d3500ram,
thanks for the picture, the only difference is you have the hangover in the back so that say someone slammed into you, the hangover would hit up against the truck bumper and the camper wouldnt not slide forward. In my case, the the Lance 815 has no hangover so it potentially could slide forward and squish my aux fuel tank up there? I guess that wouldnt be a big deal, perhaps the tank would work as a buffer?

michaelaland
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I was a little concerned about if I were to get hit from behind if it would knock the camper forward and squish the tank...nOarp, I looked into replacing the OEM tank and they want about $1500 just for the tank, was a little more than I could afford...supercharged, I was also thinking about fabricating up a tank or two to go around my wheel wells but I imagine that might be costly too? I can weld but not that good...

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
michaelaland wrote:
~... I have a dodge ram 3500 dually with an 8 ft bed. I want to get a Lance camper 815 that is 8ft 3 inches and pull it back 9-12 inches...~

I am not familiar with Lance campers, but it will need to be determined if the specific model in question is build (from the factor) such that is can be used on a short bed truck. i.e., the overhanging portion can be self supporting.

I have done what the OP is asking with respect to NorthStar campers. The Arrow can be used on either long or short beds. They made a model that was interchangeable (literally) on either length bed and detachable side saddles could be mounted at the back if is was on the short bed.

Mine had the permanent mounted side saddle and if this model can work on a short bed, it will certainly work on a long bed. The COG is the same on both applications because the distance from truck bumper to axle C.L. is the same on both.

...obviously, tie downs will need to be fabricate or altered as well as a custom built bulkhead space specific to OP's needs will be required.

I used my set-back camper space for a generator and other storage;

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that will work well. If you sit it back 18", you could use the lance pods designed for the 815. If you don't use the pods, you will want to make a bracket and mount brake/turn lights. At 10" back the lights will be blocked to at an angle. There is a 4-pin plug wire on each side which the pods plug into so an easy add on without any camper wiring required.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)