cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auxiliary tank - full or empty?

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
After a long trip, my auxiliary tank is currently empty. I have winterized my trailer and won't be towing until next Spring. I have no need for the added range the tank offers until then. Should I leave the auxiliary tank empty or fill it up for storage?
29 REPLIES 29

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
memtb wrote:
Having an empty or partially so....is kinda like not having some tp stocked. You just never know when it may be needed. But, more importantly, a full tank virtually eliminates moisture accumulation!

To each his/her own pertaining to a full tank stored for a lengthy time frame......follow the science! ๐Ÿ˜‰ memtb

Diesel, yes. It lasts longer. Gas, I never fill up seasonal vehicles or toys for storage. In fact the opposite. Of course mine arenโ€™t stored in the rain under a pine tree so any condensation is minimized.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
If it is full and there is a need to evacuate for some reason, you are already good!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
We get jacked for fuel out here. At least Durb is on the right side of the state!
Couple days ago, the Cenex (on of the cheaper places around here was $2.69 for on road diesel and $2.11 for farm fuel.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Filled up with gas this morning, and it was $1.499, and I forgot to notice what diesel was, maybe $1.69. Same price it was a month ago.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
Durb wrote:
Thanks all. I made the 7:00 AM empty station run to Costco this morning and filled the auxiliary tank. 12 cents more per gallon than when I filled two weeks ago.

We were $2.25 at the beginning of Nov. and are currently $2.65 and it hasn't stopped climbing yet. I imagine we will see $4-$5 diesel by Spring. I expected that to some degree, perhaps not this fast.

Filled the diesel SUV this morning at the same station, 15 cents higher than the last fill in the truck. $2.12 - $224 - $2.39. 13% increase in a little over 3 weeks.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Filled up the first part of November, and diesel was $1.64, now it's $1.64. Not climbing here.

Wow that's great. I can't remember when it was that low around here. It's running as high as $2.35 within 10 mi of home

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Filled up the first part of November, and diesel was $1.64, now it's $1.64. Not climbing here.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Filled today at $2.169 for diesel

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
Thanks all. I made the 7:00 AM empty station run to Costco this morning and filled the auxiliary tank. 12 cents more per gallon than when I filled two weeks ago.

We were $2.25 at the beginning of Nov. and are currently $2.65 and it hasn't stopped climbing yet. I imagine we will see $4-$5 diesel by Spring. I expected that to some degree, perhaps not this fast.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
hornet28 wrote:

What is the expected advantage of keeping the tank full?

You don't have the hassle of dealing with stations and it's customers. I haven't been in a station since 10/17 and still have over 30 gals in the tanks

So you are using the fuel in the tank, not just keeping it full.

Correct and the next time I'm near a station that has lower prices then right near me I'll fill up again. I never just put a few gals in, I always fill up. It'll take 50 to 60 gals when I do

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
Having an empty or partially so....is kinda like not having some tp stocked. You just never know when it may be needed. But, more importantly, a full tank virtually eliminates moisture accumulation!

To each his/her own pertaining to a full tank stored for a lengthy time frame......follow the science! ๐Ÿ˜‰ memtb
Gotcha.

Now I just gotta find a mask big enough for my aux tank.
:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

memtb
Explorer
Explorer

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Durb
Explorer
Explorer

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
hornet28 wrote:

What is the expected advantage of keeping the tank full?

You don't have the hassle of dealing with stations and it's customers. I haven't been in a station since 10/17 and still have over 30 gals in the tanks

So you are using the fuel in the tank, not just keeping it full.