cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning Cleaning???

Griz14
Explorer
Explorer
How often and what do you use to clean your awnings?

Thanks,

Griz14
28 REPLIES 28

anbebode
Explorer
Explorer
I use high quality cleaners to clean it, for example 303 Multi-Surface Cleaner. Then re-spray the protection so my awning is thoroughly protected, the awning stays cleaner for a long time and even dries much faster.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Griz14 wrote:
How often and what do you use to clean your awnings?

Thanks,

Griz14

To answer the first part of your question... never. Nope! I've never cleaned the awning, except for brushing off debris at a campground and maybe rinsing it off with plain old water when I wash the camper.

Our awning is tan / brown and blue on the top, so it doesn't look bad from a distance. And underneath? I rarely if ever actually look up at the awning when sitting under it.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I spray the awning down, spray it with Tilex and roll it up for 30 minutes, unroll and spray it off. Looks like new when its finished.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
I've tried the spray and roll up method with both Tilex and Simple Green, but was not impressed with the overall results so now I use this Rubbermaid extendable scrubber on both sides of the awning to do a better job. The handle extends from 24" to 40" making the overall job much quicker. The underside is easy and I can do the top by letting the awning out 1/2 way doing that half with a step stool and then the other half when the awning is fully deployed. The extendable pole and extra large scrub pad does a great job. I even like using this for general washing of the trailer over the normal pole wash brushes with bristles.

After rinsing I tie a micro fiber towel to a clean scrubber head and spray 303 on both sides of the awning and spread it around with the scrubber/micro towel for a little more protection before rolling it back up.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

LAJMINNIEPLUS
Explorer
Explorer
I have some yellow sap and bug stains from oak trees and still haven't found anything that will touch it. I have use just about all that has been mentioned in this string except the magic eraser. But, it sounds like that works only on mold, mildew and dirt.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I always clean mine once or twice a year. But just this weekend I scrubbed it with a hand brush to get rid of the dirt stain from being rolled up. I did the entire awning. 10 years old and it looks new again.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

cooperrobt
Explorer
Explorer
I use Tilex mold and mildew cleaner. Spray it on the underside of the awning and then wipe around with a soft wet mop. I then roll the awning up and let it sit for ten minutes, roll it out and rinse with clean water. This will remove around 90 percent of the dirt and mold. Repeat as necessary and allow to dry.

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
RVcrazy wrote:
Do you dampen or soak the magic eraser first? Do you wash the awning before using the magic eraser? Thanks!

Read the directions on the Magic Eraser container.
Have a bucket of fresh water and dunk and squeeze the eraser several times to get it activated. Then after doing sections of the awning, continue to rinse, dunk and squeeze the eraser when it builds up dirt. Whether you wash the awning first depends upon how dirty the awning is. If you have a lot of surface dirt (not just some mold/mildew) then washing it first is probably a good idea or else your eraser will get pretty dirty fairly quickly.

We do our awning a couple of times during the camping season and almost never wash the awning first...just use the eraser and rinse it often.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
KISS THEORY
Just go and pick up a bottle of Thetford Awning Cleaner! :B

They've done all the work for you on what will clean it and that the chems inside their product is safe for all awnings.

Don't over think cleaning the awning! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Do you dampen or soak the magic eraser first? Do you wash the awning before using the magic eraser? Thanks!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I use the roll it up method with bleach at 1/4 C per gallon. 13 years and the awning still looked good when I sold the TT
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Griz14 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your advice...I am a concerned like some have mentioned about using bleach...but I suppose with the right mixture it should be okay. For those who have been using bleach...how long have you used it and does it show any signs of damaging the awning material?

Griz14

You only use a very, very, mild bleach solution.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Griz14 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your advice...I am a concerned like some have mentioned about using bleach...but I suppose with the right mixture it should be okay. For those who have been using bleach...how long have you used it and does it show any signs of damaging the awning material? Griz14

I'll just mention again that there are several different 'types' of awning fabric. So what works and doesn't cause damage for one person the outcome may be different for another that has a different fabric.

I only found out that there are different types when a tornado took my awning off and I had a local RV Repair order me a replacement so I could hit the road.

The replacement one he brought out was a way different type of fabric than my original one. Which by the way my original one was a much better fabric. Because I couldn't wait for another one to be shipped I just took that one. Real sorry I did it is really cheaply made.

So just saying certain chems like bleach can affect different awning fabrics. IMHO, JMHO 'I' would never use bleach. You don't get that cleaned all off and you awning will start to fade over time and possible weaken the fabric.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
We clear ours once or twice a year.

Then we rest secure in the knowledge that after the next rain the water and dirt will seep into the sides and settle to the bottom of the rolls.

When we open it again those wicked dark streaks have returned, but it still gives as much shade as when it was clean. ๐Ÿ™‚
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.