Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Axle and Hub Question

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

We have a Grand Design Transcend travel trailer. Really like it. At 18 months old, it is essentially new as we have done one longer trip and some local camping. Maybe 2,000 miles of travel.

I decided to have the bearings repacked. It seemed like good preventative maintenance before we do any big trips. I took it to our local Camping World. They sent pictures indicating that there is some damage to the axle. Some heat marks. They recommend replacing the whole axle at a cost of $1,475. I am kind of in shock that the whole axle would need to be replaced - especially since we have hardly used it.

Your insight and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living
36 REPLIES 36

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
the e-man wrote:
Not sure how to add images here. I just put up a temporary page with the pictures at: Hub Axle Pictures

Absolutely normal, run from the crooks!

x2 on this. local truck shop or trailer shop is your best bet

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
In my worthless opinion, an absolutely correct hub service is done rarely. There are many YouTube videos done by folks that think they are doing a great job, but I wouldn't let them near my stuff. Here in PA, we are to get trailers inspected annually where they pull two hubs and mess up so bad that I redo the work immediately after getting home. I could write a book about Pennsylvania state inspections.
I see no new photos.

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All.

Thanks again for the assistance with my question regarding the hubs and axles on my camper. As promised, here is an update.

After declining the axle replacement, I was charged significantly over the quoted price for the repack to get my trailer out of the shop. They said the extra was for shop supplies like rags and protective gear along with four bearing seals.

I took the advice of the group and got a second opinion. Interestingly, they found that the repack had not been performed properly. The bearings had not been cleaned and there were two types of grease visible. And they found that the axles were in good shape - no replacement needed.

I had put up the first pictures on my travel web site. I updated that post with pictures of the repack after the first shop completed their work and the repack after the second shop. I tried to capture some lessons learned from this experience.

If you want to see the additional pictures, they are at Hub Axle Question

Thanks again.
2010 Ram 2500

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know the OP fixed their issue already, but there's a recall listed on the Grand Design website for axles. Might be worth looking to see if your trailer is one of those included.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mhsmith wrote:
the e-man wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Your spindle looks fine.
I would replace the bearings with Timkens and go camping..... But first tell CW to take a hike.

Appreciating everyoneโ€™s feedback.

Can you tell me what makes Timkens special?

Better quality, but sadly made in China also. They moved from Ohio to China mid 05-06

Not entirely true. There is a Timken bearing plant about 10 miles from here in Iron Station NC. We used them at Getrag at one time, and GKN later on.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
The TIMKEN Bearings I've bought over the last year are marked USA like the ones above.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
mhsmith wrote:

Better quality, but sadly made in China also. They moved from Ohio to China mid 05-06

I have USA Timken bearings, check Summit, Amazon and below.
https://www.southwestwheel.com/c-822-timken-bearings.aspx?pagenum=2

mhsmith
Explorer
Explorer
the e-man wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Your spindle looks fine.
I would replace the bearings with Timkens and go camping..... But first tell CW to take a hike.

Appreciating everyoneโ€™s feedback.

Can you tell me what makes Timkens special?

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
the e-man wrote:
mobeewan wrote:
Your profile only indicates "Virginia". If you are anywhere near Hampton take it to Hibbard's Iron Works on Aberdeen Rd. They are top notch. They specialize in trailers. I've done business with them for over 30 years.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Here is a quick update. I picked up the camper. Of course, extra fees were tacked on beyond the advertised price for the repack. We all have to learn a lesson the hard way sometimes, right.

I'll be getting a second opinion this week. As mobeewan recommended, I am taking it to Hibbard's. I'll let you know what they say.

As for repacking the bearings myself, it sounds like a great skill to learn. I learned how to do that on bicycles last year when I rebuilt a classic Schwinn. I guess I better step up my game and do it on the camper, too.

Honestly it is pretty similar to the bike. Seals are different, but itโ€™s just putting grease in the bearing, and the adjusting the bearing nut. Although itโ€™s heavier, dirtier, and you have to sit on the ground to do it.

Itโ€™s a shame people canโ€™t be honest, and just do the work needed.

Thanks again for the assistance.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Axle in the photo looks normal.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try a different shop. It looks fine to me in the photo. It's hard to tell from a photo though. Get a second opinion. They could very well be trying to rip you off.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
the e-man wrote:

As for repacking the bearings myself, it sounds like a great skill to learn. I learned how to do that on bicycles last year when I rebuilt a classic Schwinn. I guess I better step up my game and do it on the camper, too.

In my opinion, you have no other good choice but to do it yourself. Even if your next stop has a skilled and fair mechanic, what are you going to do when one of those cheap Chinese bearings ends your trip? With basic tools you can service a spindle roadside quickly. I learned the hard way about the junk bearings coming out of China, and replaced all with Timken.

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
Your profile only indicates "Virginia". If you are anywhere near Hampton take it to Hibbard's Iron Works on Aberdeen Rd. They are top notch. They specialize in trailers. I've done business with them for over 30 years.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Here is a quick update. I picked up the camper. Of course, extra fees were tacked on beyond the advertised price for the repack. We all have to learn a lesson the hard way sometimes, right.

I'll be getting a second opinion this week. As mobeewan recommended, I am taking it to Hibbard's. I'll let you know what they say.

Thanks again for the assistance.
2010 Ram 2500

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
That is NOT caused by heat, it is fretting corrosion .

How much money can be made promoting YouTube videos?