Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up to an inclined and narrow driveway

RonValor
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Greetings from a soon-to-be first-time trailer owner.
My wife and I finally decided to buy a Coachmen Clipper 16RBD trailer. We are excited.
I'm watching youtube videos on how to backup a trailer.
What I'm nervous about is that our driveway is very narrow (8ft-4in) and has a steep inclined approach/portion coming from the street.

The Clipper 16RDB has an overall width of 7ft-4in so I only have 6 inches clearance on both sides.

My question is it still possible to park my trailer and how relatively hard or not so hard will it be?

I do not have any trailer hauling experience let alone trailer backing experience.

Some articles says to practice with cones in an empty parking lot. I will do that for sure.

Thanks for any advise.

Ron

PS I'm attempting to attach some pictures but the Image button says "Enter the complete URL for the image." and I cannot browse to a folder location.
64 REPLIES 64

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
It sounds like a similar driveway to ours. We have a 25' TT that I back into an 8 1/2' driveway that's cut into a hill. My biggest issue is the hill and since it's cuy in there's no room to swing the trailer once in the driveway. It took some trial and error to find the best way to do it, but isn't too bad now.

Here's a video of how I do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syyw791aS_I

The good news is you likely won't find a site in a campground that hard to get into.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
practice makes perfect. once it clicks you will be fine. I used to struggle with my boat trailer since you can only see the markers I put on it in the mirrors. now I can stop the tire on a coin (side note this is a good trick to win beer bets) Its not hard just different.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Community Alumni
Not applicable
rbpru wrote:

* It is not a race.

OP - This is probably the best advice you can receive when you're new to trailering. Every once in a while we all get into complex situations. You're better off slowing down, staying calm, and thinking things through before proceeding. When you're moving faster that your hands, feet, and brain can react then you end up making some silly and expensive mistakes.

Renting the U-Haul was a smart move in more ways than one. Not only are getting practice, but you're practicing with a fairly difficult trailer to master. You would think the shorter a trailer the easier it would be to back, but the opposite is true. Those little trailers are quite sensitive and get out of alignment very easily. If you're doing well with it then your new 16' trailer will be a breeze.

When backing into such a tight space, make sure your spotter is attentive, very observant, and frequently relaying information. You don't have a lot of room to play with so the spotter has to be on top of their game.

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a cheaper used trailer that has damage on the driver side already .

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Seven feet four inches including the awning? Bet that adds 3 more inches.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron, you must be one of those "naturally gifted with hand eye coordination" people! My hat is off to you -- no way I could have handled that driveway in my first year of trailering, let alone my first time.

Note, also, that the U-Haul is single axle and short, both factors that make it even tougher. Well done!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job! Good work. That was very smart of you to get that u haul to practice with. I'm sure it gave you some confidence. Take your time with the camoer8 and don't let anything or anyone rush you. It's your hard earned money. That goes for at home, and backing in at the CG
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

j_p_f_
Explorer
Explorer
yea for you! looks like you did some trimming also.
not many could do that well on their first try backing a trailer.

RonValor
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there,
Thank you all for your valuable insights.
I don't have a trailer-hauling experience let alone trailer backing-up experience.
So today, I decided to rent a Uhaul trailer and do some practice.
The Uhaul trailer has an overall width (wheel well to wheel well) of 80 inches.
I attempted several tries but finally I managed to back it up:)
Then I move it out again then do the backup maneuver again.
My third time now so I thought I'd share my little practice accomplishment with you guys.
will practice again this afternoon and looking forward to do the real thing with our Clipper 16RBH hopefully within the next couple of weeks.
Again thanks to all.
- Ron

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
I Like to tell people I guarantee I can back my TT into position within the first 12 or 15 tries. 🙂

I have found that whether I get it parked on the first try or the 10th try;
* Nobody handed me a metal.
* The campground did not reduce my camping fee.
* The TT works just as well in either case.
* It is not a race.

Also you may find that the more skilled you become, the fussier you get as to how it sits in the site.

Too funny, too true! :B

I may like our trailer to be "perfectly" located on the site but 9 times out of 10 that's when my wife says "it's fine". :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good advice.

I Like to tell people I guarantee I can back my TT into position within the first 12 or 15 tries. 🙂

I have found that whether I get it parked on the first try or the 10th try;
* Nobody handed me a metal.
* The campground did not reduce my camping fee.
* The TT works just as well in either case.
* It is not a race.

Also you may find that the more skilled you become, the fussier you get as to how it sits in the site.

Enjoy your RV.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
I do not want to add to your confusion with all of this "advise" that is being given. All of it well meant but some of it very dubious.

First that driveway is doable with no problems as long as you clear the overhang.

You DO NOT NEED a Ladder or a front receiver or Walkie Talkies.

The only thing you really need is to learn to back up your trailer. (See my previous post)You can and you will.

The walkie talkie solution some use to my mind is dangerous and induces a time lag to your reactions. Every time I see a couple using them I shudder as the whole process usually goes haywire or at least takes much longer than necessary. By the time your spotter sees a problem, realizes they need to push the button, talks (rarely saying one word) and the driver receives the communication and listens and reacts this is just nonsense.

A proper clear hand signal will be seen immediately and can be reacted to much faster than answering a WT.

A front receiver hitch is just training wheels. And you have to learn to back up in difficult spots anyway...I agree with another poster it's a waste of money.

NO Ladder...back up to near the roof line GET OUT and decide for yourself if you will clear. Do not depend on the spotter it is your decision. Use your spotter as you back up. But decisions about whether your vehicle will fit are yours. Stay biased toward the hedge.

Make sure you instruct your spotter that they must be able to see you in your mirror..in this case the drivers side..at all times. Keep your attention mostly there checking your front occasionally, though with that mostly straight driveway you dont really have any obstructions to worry about.

Go out and rent or download The Long Long Trailer starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. It is a very funny movie and there is a scene in it where Desi has to back his trailer up a long driveway. The scene is a classic of what NOT to do.

Finally people just learning to back all make the same mistake: They over-correct. Use small corrections and let the trailer react. If you need to pull forward go at least 6 feet otherwise the effect is minimal (however in really tight spots with the right steering control much less can and does work)

Good Luck

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
The driveway from the street looks like a straight shot so I would say it's totally doable backing a trailer in.

First I'd get cheap two way radios and have your wife or the NON driver behind the trailer keeping a eye on things. I prefer if they are constantly talking even if it's just them saying straight back straight back. Silence makes me wonder if they are sidetracked.

Second, in this situation I would run a length of bright Duct Tape on the ground on the drivers side exactly where you believe the sidewalls of the trailers tires will be as it's being backed in. This will give you a hard reference and if your on your marks the other side must be good as long as your measurements are accurate.

Third, for this first attempt at backing in have a ladder set up around the corner of the house and have the person not driving triple check clearance as your backing.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like MikeinOregon's solution -- let's just move to a trailer-friendly house! That could be one of those Jeff Foxworthy imitations that we have here from time to time: "You might just be a serious trailer camper if . . . you move because your trailer fits better in the driveway of the new house." 😉

I have often had the urge to move for that exact reason, but I did not realize that anyone had had the courage to really do that. Well done, Mike!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
You realize once the camper is there the garage door becomes useless Oh the growing pains of home buying and camper buying go hand in hand.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt