cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bad shimmy after bump

VinnyP
Explorer
Explorer
Driving on highway doing 60/65, hit a bump and the wheel started to shimmy violently. Had to slow down to 40 or less before shimmy stopped. Happened 3 times on a 90 mile trip home. Very scary, had a hard time keeping truck under control. Going to call my local Ford dealer tomorrow, any insights tonight?
Vinny & Rita
The Bronx, NY
2013 F350 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC
2012 Cedar Creek 36B4
2009 Holiday Rambler Savoy LX
2015 Rockwood 2109S Mini-Lite
26 REPLIES 26

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
before you spend any money look at your tire pressures and also look for a leaking steering stabilizer. If everything is good and your tires are not worn out then have the whole front end checked - most like nothing major.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was caused by a bad tire.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
Ram had twisted frames that stopped the factory on the 3500 models a few years back
Chevman

Yes they did, happened at the Toledo Jeep plant also. Frames coming in on rail cars were twisted from the yard workers strapping the frames and not the shipping platform they were on.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Ram had twisted frames that stopped the factory on the 3500 models a few years back
Chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
As far a the death wobble I wounder if there might not be a frame alignment issue on trucks that are new? A frame can get bent during transportation (usually during rail shipment and more common then you may think) from over tightening of the chains.

Don

I don't think these new gen frames started by RAM in 2013, Ford in 2017 and GM ?? are going to bend very easy.

I agree.... having said that my 92 chevy truck had a bent frame from the transport. Lesson learned there is to never pick up a new truck at night and give it a thorough inspection
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
As far a the death wobble I wounder if there might not be a frame alignment issue on trucks that are new? A frame can get bent during transportation (usually during rail shipment and more common then you may think) from over tightening of the chains.

Don

I don't think these new gen frames started by RAM in 2013, Ford in 2017 and GM ?? are going to bend very easy.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer

Don

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I had a similar experience with a car several years ago. It bewildered me completely, but it was consistent after a certain speed. Repair shop found nothing wrong with tire balance or wheel alignmnets.

After several frustrating trips to the repair shop and several attempted fixed failures, they finally checked the actual tread of the tires. Turns out the actual tread (not cross wise, but long wise) had dips and high spots on them at different spots on the tires. When the tires got in sync with each other, just right, the uneven tread lines (long ways around the tire) would cause the car to shake violently.

They took each tire and make each tire true round and got the tread level and sheared off those high spots. After that, it rode just fine. They fixed the tires at no cost.

Were these OE tires or after market? If aftermarket why would you let them "shave the tires"? If it were me they would be replacing them with new tires!

Don

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 2011 F350 CC/LWB/LB/DRW/Lariat edition, Got it traded off for a 2017 Ram at 41,000 miles as it was ready for the 4th set of front tires, Woody Anderson ford in Huntsville, Al. could not repair the front end to stop the death wobble. This started at 3,000 miles and now the new owner is thinking what the hell!!!
Love the new Ram, 3500 with rear air bags same set up as the F350 except the sun catcher (moon roof). the CTD is a little mofe thursty on MPG but I'm ok with that.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Was it like this?

The little secret Ford does not want you to know.

And don't let anybody BS you by saying it's worn suspension parts "all" the time. They can be bad right out of the factory with just a handful of miles on them.

Are you claiming the components have a zero percent defect rate at new? Impressive, albeit unlikely.

Not at all.

What I'm saying is it does not have to be a wear issue. SA trucks can come right out of the factory with parts that are out of spec or tires that are out of spec or rims...or....or....or......it does not have to be a wear issue.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing in the 80's was designed to go 65 MPH. I stopped watching. I wasted 3 min listening to some guy yak anticipating some revelation.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

Mont_G_J
Explorer
Explorer
Defective Shock Absorber.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Was it like this?

The little secret Ford does not want you to know.

And don't let anybody BS you by saying it's worn suspension parts "all" the time. They can be bad right out of the factory with just a handful of miles on them.

Are you claiming the components have a zero percent defect rate at new? Impressive, albeit unlikely.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
May try rotating tires front to rear.

Broken steel belts which are not always apparent can cause problems.