cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

basic driving skills

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not strictly RV related, but wonder how many of us can relate.
Yesterday I took wife to Dr's office in a big medical complex yesterday. Dropped her at door, and parked in sun to wait. Noticed a couple of late 20s/early 30s messing around a late modal GM pickup. Kinda watched while I cleaned windows of mine. Finally figured out they where jacking up left front. Now do I video for Utube, or offer to help?
They pointed out a hook, complete with tarpstrap, stuck in tire. "Have you got the nuts loose?" "These steel things are chocks, put under other tire to keep it from rolling of jack." Watched them with factory lug wrench, (look at the length of that tool, center of stud to center of hand and torque on nuts. If it is 15 inches long, nuts 100ftlbs, that means 80 lbs with 1 hand. Not embarrassed to say I don't think I can do it) loaned them socket and long breaker bar. "Think you should get spare down while sure truck can't fall?" Soon one asked how to get fastener loose in center of spare. A quick look "That is the end of wench cable" Look at bumper opened a plastic door, found a key slot instead of hole I expected. "Bet your key will pull that out so can drive wench" (nice touch GM) Loaned them my flashlite to see what part of tire tool needed to lower tire (they still have that) A few minutes later wife called, I wished them luck.
Now they had been in the parking lot, on a nice day for over a hour, and still not done. While I was there, 1 asked other if he had ever changed a tire Been a long time, the other said never. Flats are not as common as years past, but still happen. I think it is a good idea for everybody, but especially those of us that my be in area we don't know anybody, to pick a nice day and while at home be sure you know how to change a tire on what you drive. In the cold, dark and rain, with traffic rolling by is not the best place to go too school
51 REPLIES 51

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ssthrd wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Those wheel lugs have got to be the dumbest thing Mercedes ever did. You get one of those suckers broke off either get out a wad of money or get ready for a time consuming job. + you need a replacement wheel. I may change cars before tires wear out but if not as much as I hate the thought I'll cut it off.

I have a couple of set of these to look after oddball bolts/nuts. No need to cut anything off.

I have the 1 I need to get my lugnut off, if none of the sockets fit. I also carry replacement nuts to be sure I can mount the spare.

BarabooBob wrote:
My F150 had those stupid lug nuts with a cheap cap over them. I got one piece lug nuts made by Dorman and replaced all 24 lug nuts. The Ford stealership wanted $7 a nut and they were the same junk that originally came on the truck.
To get some of the old lugs off, I had to hammer a socket onto the lug nut cap and remove the nut, I then had to put the socket into a vice and drive out the old nut with a punch. I am glad this took place in my driveway so that I could use my shop tools.

I did the same on my F150 years ago, but could not locate the 1 piece to match the wheels on my Dodge, so I replaced the ones I needed plus enough for 1 more wheel

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
My F150 had those stupid lug nuts with a cheap cap over them. I got one piece lug nuts made by Dorman and replaced all 24 lug nuts. The Ford stealership wanted $7 a nut and they were the same junk that originally came on the truck.
To get some of the old lugs off, I had to hammer a socket onto the lug nut cap and remove the nut, I then had to put the socket into a vice and drive out the old nut with a punch. I am glad this took place in my driveway so that I could use my shop tools.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Those wheel lugs have got to be the dumbest thing Mercedes ever did. You get one of those suckers broke off either get out a wad of money or get ready for a time consuming job. + you need a replacement wheel. I may change cars before tires wear out but if not as much as I hate the thought I'll cut it off.

I have a couple of set of these to look after oddball bolts/nuts. No need to cut anything off.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Getting a bit off course JR, but then you are the OP.

Anyway, as to start time, yes, but the problem being, no competent person wants the job.

Jerry

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
wanderingbob wrote:
When I am driving what I really do not like , every time that I run off the road and clip someones mailbox or car my wife screams and throws her hands up on the dash , that really makes me nervous !

Simple solution Bob...make her drive, while you relax/take a nap.

Problem solved!!

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wanderingbob wrote:
When I am driving what I really do not like , every time that I run off the road and clip someones mailbox or car my wife screams and throws her hands up on the dash , that really makes me nervous !

Post of the month!
Cheers Bob! Keeper rubber side down and you'll be fine!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^And while I agree with you, the numbers of people who are knowledgeable about obsolete and largely unused technology are dwindling, why wouldnโ€™t they be?
Just because you have 2 and I have 1 and some farmers and a bunch of old guys have points ignition and carburetor cars hanging around doesnโ€™t mean there are a lot of them in total.
There isnโ€™t.
Just like you donโ€™t see any vcr repair placesโ€ฆ

That said, I know a few career mechanics young and old and they claim the auto repair industry is a flat industry. Wages and benefits havenโ€™t kept up with the times. And just because a computer helps with the diagnosis doesnโ€™t mean that the same skill isnโ€™t required to replace the broken part. In fact more is required. In general vehicles are harder to work on.
More cramped more technology and more โ€œintegrated.โ€

Example. My new truck with collapsed lifters. Felt like a transmission issue to me but looked like an electronics issue based on some of the symptoms. And Iโ€™m relatively well read with auto mechanics.
Thatโ€™s exactly where the dealer went too. First checked trans, then systems/module issues , then through fuel and spark. To arrive at liftersโ€ฆ.
Old small block Chevy I could have diagnosed a valve train issue with pretty good Certainty without even pulling a valve cover. Then lifter or other Issue would have been obvious.

Yet โ€œmostโ€ mechanics around here at least, after tools costs are pretty low on the wage scale. Union construction laborer , no skills required, makes considerably more on average.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Great post. These are the thoughts of the privileged few who don't know how to repair anything mechanical, just pay someone that knows how. The flip side is those of us that are lost in the electronics that fill our vehicles today as we are lost in that area. Should have seen me the first time a approached a computer 20 years ago. but I have taught myself and if I get stumped there is a 9 year old handy. You tube is my friend. And I remember when we did everything with horses, no electric, no car, no phone. We did so much with so little that we could do almost anything with nothing. But I have survived 80 years so far.

Very true. 50-60 years ago, the average person had to know more about fixing cars because there was a lot more fixing that needed to be done. We have a car (Kia) with 125,000 miles on it that's only had wrenches applied to it for routine maintenance. That was unheard of 50 year ago.

Right, and think about how many skills have become obsolete because of this. To this day we STILL have people grousing how everyone not being able to work on a points ignition or set a carburetor will be the downfall of society... Cars haven't had points for 50 years, and haven't had carburetors for 30 years...

My first 4 class 8 trucks, if I worked all day without working on ignition system and fixing a couple of tires, it was a real good day.
Before then most every guy I knew could set points and timing, change plugs. Some had trouble with wires, keeping FO right. Carb, everybody could mess with. Fix? Not so many.
Now, we have no need for that, you are right. OTOH, we still use tires, and still have road hazards.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
rjstractor wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Great post. These are the thoughts of the privileged few who don't know how to repair anything mechanical, just pay someone that knows how. The flip side is those of us that are lost in the electronics that fill our vehicles today as we are lost in that area. Should have seen me the first time a approached a computer 20 years ago. but I have taught myself and if I get stumped there is a 9 year old handy. You tube is my friend. And I remember when we did everything with horses, no electric, no car, no phone. We did so much with so little that we could do almost anything with nothing. But I have survived 80 years so far.

Very true. 50-60 years ago, the average person had to know more about fixing cars because there was a lot more fixing that needed to be done. We have a car (Kia) with 125,000 miles on it that's only had wrenches applied to it for routine maintenance. That was unheard of 50 year ago.

Right, and think about how many skills have become obsolete because of this. To this day we STILL have people grousing how everyone not being able to work on a points ignition or set a carburetor will be the downfall of society... Cars haven't had points for 50 years, and haven't had carburetors for 30 years...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t know how much truth there is to this, but if folks will eat a Tide podโ€ฆโ€ฆ.

:):)

:R Letโ€™s Go Girls! ๐Ÿ˜›
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Lance 1121-Two Awnings, Slide topper, 3.6 kw Gen, Trimetric Batt. Monitor, 1500W Inverter, 40A Redarc DC-DC charger. 2016 F450 6.7 PSD.
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
bucky wrote:
MFL wrote:
Good PSA JR!

I do think, since everyone is carrying a phone now, many rely on their phone, rather than any maintenance skills. That being said, I am not one of those folks, and would change my own tire.

I buy new vehicles, but still check the spare myself right away, to ensure proper psi, and to understand/examine the supplied tools to change.

On my truck, like you mentioned, the lug wrench would require a superman! The lug torque is supposed to be at 160.

Jerry

What are you driving with that large of a torque rating on a lug nut?

Ford SuperDuty in sig.

After reading NRALIFR's post, I realized torque on mine is also 165, not 160 ft lbs. Ford builds tough trucks, that wheels do not fall off from!

Here is a pic of another manufacturer's truck, that wheel fell off, while just driving down the street.

Jerry

I haven't seen that happen in a long time. In addition I don't torque my lug nuts either and never discovered any loose during tire rotation.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
goducks10 wrote:

I see that every time I leave the house.

Doesn't say much for your neighbors and nearby residents!

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
ferndaleflyer wrote:

2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3