cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batteries - Diesel Trucks

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to solicit a few opinions on batteries. My 2015 Ram is on it's original set of batteries, so about three and a half years of use and a little under 50,000 miles. I haven't had any failures to start yet but I've noticed a couple of times after running the grid heater on cold mornings the last week or two I've had a click before I turn the key back off and then it has fired up on the second try. I assume running the heater immediately prior to starting has run the batteries down enough they are tight on having enough juice for cranking the engine,

Am I at the point I need to replace the batteries? I'm a little on the early end of what I generally consider the replacement cycle for batteries in the other vehicles I've owned. I wondered with two batteries if I'd actually get a little extra life, but on the other hand it is cranking a bigger engine and running the grid heater.

Opinions?
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB
56 REPLIES 56

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
glow plugs or likely the grid heaters are a huge current draw but at least with glow plugs for a very short period of time, seconds or so. I've measured the peak draw on my duramax compared to starting current, and glow plugs draw more than the starter.

So, a marginal battery can get hit by the glow plugs or grid heater.

Now that said, my 2004.5 duramax batteries lasted till mid 2014, and the replacements are still ok. Replaced them with OEM delco.

My 2015 batteries are doing fine, I expect them to go much longer.

Best thing to do is to do a load test on each battery by someone who has a real carbon pile load tester and knows how to use it.

BTW, My 97 sedan is on it's second battery, My 97 roadster is on it's second battery as well. Yes, over 10 years on each battery.

Now we don't get the brutal heat some areas do and heat degrades batteries more than cold. And we don't get brutal cold like the OP likely does in Idaho.

But still, 3 years on the batteries seems to be on the low side for today's batteries.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my experience with my '07 ---Batteries
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/

randygk
Explorer
Explorer
If memory serves me, you tow occasionally. My '14 has a whopping 23,000 on it and when changing the fuel filters last month the batteries died while purging. I was also starting to get a few random error warnings at start.
I think sitting is probably hard on the batteries.
I went with Interstate AGM.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Cold weather can kill a battery really fast. While yours might be OK if you were d9wn south, in ID with temps dropping your going to get stuck some morning. Go get a pair of NAPA batteries and be done with it.

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
Normally I replace both my batteries at 4 year point..Any good auto service center can test both those batteries on the vehicle and give you an overall health status .... that’s wha5 I’d do... the older style batteries with caps were nice because you could check specific gravity and know their charge state..

BobKrogstie
Explorer
Explorer
My 2009 CTD batteries lasted 6 years / 120,000 miles but were always in a mild climate (full-time sun seeker).
Bob and Natalie
2008 Grand Junction 37QSB
2009 Dodge 3500DRW Big Horn 4X2/CC/LB/CTD/4:10/Auto

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
Seems the 4th gen Ram batteries are all over the board as far as longevity. I read about early 4th gens still on originals and some 16's already replacing. Getting them load tested would be a good idea. I have a 17 Ram with 70k and just a couple weeks shy of 2 years old and my batteries at least so far are still doing well, as they should be. My old 01 Ram CTD the originals lasted well over 7 years but the older trucks had a lot less electronic stuff on them too.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
#1 check and clean battery terminals! They may look fine remove and clean with steel wool.
I replaced the Les Schwab batteries in my 2001 Ram in 2012 with MOPAR OEM batteries and still cranking strong.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
Opinions?

I have been told by several techs that the glow plug/grid heaters draw more amperage than cranking the engine. I believe that you might try servicing the battery terminals and using dielectric grease might help in the short term. The final answer would be, have the batteries tested and they will either pass or fail.

The couple of times that it clicked before starting is a warning.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
???? Why throw out good batteries? I've had batteries last 12+ years.

Why not have them load tested? A good load test with modern test equipment will tell you what you need to know.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I'm also watching for the first signs of a weak battery on my 2014. I'm never in real high heat areas which is hard on batteries. I may just replace them next summer.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
My batteries on my Ford lasted 5 1/2 years, that doesn't mean yours will tho.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper