cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batteries for new Northern Lite camper

a_flyfisher
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be getting a new 2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE camper shortly, and have been wondering what type of batteries to get for it.

I believe Northern Lite says the battery compartments are large enough for 2 group 27 batteries. Does anyone know whether the new Northern Lite battery compartments are large enough for 2 Trojan T-105 batteries, which I believe may be a bit larger than the group 27's?

Also, are there any other considerations on getting the 6V Trojan batteries, other than size and weight, and connecting them in parallel? (I don't know much about batteries, as you can probably tell.)

Normally, I take my 12V batteries out of my RV during the winter, when not in use,for 6 months or so, and hook them up to a Deltran battery tender. Can you use these same battery tenders on 6V batteries like that, or do you need a different battery tender, such as a 6V battery tender (or do something else with them)?
a_flyfisher
10 REPLIES 10

a_flyfisher
Explorer
Explorer
markchengr wrote:
Hi, My 2008 NL 10-2 CD SE came with two 24's. They were good for a couple of nights boondocking until we started using 2 cpap's. But, they are really difficult to service with the tight fit and without the sliding trays that some campers have. I tried a profill system but one of the plastic nipples broke and flooded a battery compartment with acid. After I added 200 watts of solar, I decided that I had enough of battery problems so I pulled the trigger on 2 Lifeline 6 volt AGM's. They are maintenance free and I was able to set them on their ends for a good fit and easy hookup. Expensive, but money well spent in my opinion. Now we can run our CPAP's and watch a movie 3 nights in a row without hookups, even longer if we're driving everyday. By the way Trojan 105's are too tall to fit, I looked into that pretty thoroughly. Maybe your dealer will credit you for the 24's if you want to go with something else. Good luck and I hope this helps. -Mark.

Thanks for your comments, Mark.

I'm not sure I want to invest in something like Lifelines right away, until I get a better feel about what type of drain I put on my batteries after using it this summer, or at least a part of the summer.

And, yes, the dealer will credit me with their cost of the 24's, which they have noted on my sales order.
a_flyfisher

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, My 2008 NL 10-2 CD SE came with two 24's. They were good for a couple of nights boondocking until we started using 2 cpap's. But, they are really difficult to service with the tight fit and without the sliding trays that some campers have. I tried a profill system but one of the plastic nipples broke and flooded a battery compartment with acid. After I added 200 watts of solar, I decided that I had enough of battery problems so I pulled the trigger on 2 Lifeline 6 volt AGM's. They are maintenance free and I was able to set them on their ends for a good fit and easy hookup. Expensive, but money well spent in my opinion. Now we can run our CPAP's and watch a movie 3 nights in a row without hookups, even longer if we're driving everyday. By the way Trojan 105's are too tall to fit, I looked into that pretty thoroughly. Maybe your dealer will credit you for the 24's if you want to go with something else. Good luck and I hope this helps. -Mark.

a_flyfisher
Explorer
Explorer
I will probably be mostly dry camping, but typically just for 2-3 days at a time, and expect this could be at times of the year when nighttime temperatures are below freezing. I do have a Honda eu2000i generator to supplement the batteries, however, plus the small 95 watt solar panel that comes standard with the Northern Lite camper.
a_flyfisher

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Fly, two 24s may be enough for you...it depends on how much juice you use and where you camp...dry/boondocking or RV parks. Personally I dry camp or boondock most of the time and I love TV local news and local radio. So I need my T-125s and solar system...or generator on cloudy days.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Flyfisher86
Explorer
Explorer
I have two group 27's in my 09 10-2 and they fit fine I measured and can actual squeeze a group 31 in the box biggest problem is the slant to the back of the box which limits the height if I remember correctly 9 3/4" was max height. Not near the camper so I can't measure plus not sure if the new campers use the same box.
2015 Ram 3500 CC Cab&chassis Eby Flatbed 6.7CTD 6Spd Auto
2009 Northern Lite 10-2CDSE 200w of solar and one spoiled camper dog Splash

a_flyfisher
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your replies. Sorry that I did not respond sooner, but I have been unable to access this forum for the past couple hours for some unexplained reason.

If Northern Lite's barely have room for 2 Group 27 batteries, then what batteries are you Northern Lite owners using then? (My dealer will include 2 group 24 batteries with my purchase, but I was hoping that I could upgrade them somehow.)
a_flyfisher

Wardster
Explorer
Explorer
a_flyfisher wrote:
I believe Northern Lite says the battery compartments are large enough for 2 group 27 batteries. Does anyone know whether the new Northern Lite battery compartments are large enough for 2 Trojan T-105 batteries, which I believe may be a bit larger than the group 27's?

The NL battery compartment barely holds the two Group 27 Lifeline batteries I installed, so I would venture to say that a larger battery will not fit.
2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
You wire two 6v batteries in SERIES to get 12v. Then you charge like a 12v battery. Negative on one battery-positive on other.
12volt
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The general rule for those that camp without hook ups is to install as many amps as you can and figure out how you want to recharge...solar or generator or both. If you plug in all the time one 12 volt should do it. Connecting two 6 volt batteries isn't hard...I did it! Also consider both the T-125...more amps than T-105 and same size...and T-145...taller and more amps than the other two.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
You will have to measure the compartment to find out. I have 2 group 27s in my 2007 10.2 RR. I measured for Duracell golf cart batteries from Sam's Club, they should fit fine. They are shorter, taller and slightly wider than the group 27s.

If you hook up the batteries in series, you can charge them like any 12v battery.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo