cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Batteries going dead

dstuart000
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2009 Jayco 25 RKS. I just replaced my batteries last year and I just had them tested and they are in great shape. My problem is that something is draining my batteries way too fast. My batteries were fully charged and in 1 day they will be drained with nothing obvious running. Is there a way to narrow down the problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks
Started with campershell and tent in 1980,
1 camper and 4 trailers later,
2009 Jayco 25 RKS,
2005 Dodge 2500 Cummins 5.9 Turbo Diesel
12 REPLIES 12

md2lgyk
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have an electric tongue jack? I wired mine directly to the battery without realizing it has two small lights on it that can't be turned off. So I installed a battery cutoff switch. But if your batteries go dead in just a day, I'd suspect either a short somewhere or the breakaway switch.
"The great object is, that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." - Patrick Henry

BigDaddyHfx
Explorer
Explorer
You could also try using a battery isolation switch to cut off power to everything in the trailer. If the batteries still go dead its them not a mystery drain.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
mbopp wrote:
Your electric brake break-away switch isn't activated, is it?

Yes, first thing is an amp draw reading.

I was thinking that too. One day must be one heck of a draw to drain what you call "batteries" Even if they are cheap ones. You have a dead short somewhere. Do as the others have said and try to isolate the problem.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
BTW for those that want to check dc amperage without removing any wires, they now have dc clamp on meters at good prices like These. After having used on of these, I'll never go back to the old way.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
I would first test the amp draw, then figure out where it's coming from

Good advice. Until you know what the drain actually IS you can't tell if it's a battery issue or something going to ground somewhere. Shut down different circuits and re-test the draw to see which circuit it's coming from.

Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Your electric brake break-away switch isn't activated, is it?

Yes, first thing is an amp draw reading.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A really sneaky draw is the high-humidty heater for the fridge. It draws a fair amount of current constantly if left on.

dstuart000
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions.
Started with campershell and tent in 1980,
1 camper and 4 trailers later,
2009 Jayco 25 RKS,
2005 Dodge 2500 Cummins 5.9 Turbo Diesel

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I would first test the amp draw, then figure out where it's coming from

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
As stated above, start isolating circuits one at a time.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Start pulling fuses. If your running the furnace at all that will kill a battery fast. Same for leaving the lights on.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
There are a few things that are known to pull battery power even when everything appears to be off.

LPG alarm,
Radio memory,
Refrigerator (on propane)
antenna power booster,
possibly smoke/co alarm,

If the trailer is at home and you have time you could probably try pulling all the fuses in the panel and replace them one at a time over a period of days.

Could there be a light left on in a storage bay that you are not aware of?

Do you have a multimeter that you could use to check amp draw off the battery?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup