cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

beadlocks for 19.5's

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone use beadlocks to air down 19.5 tires?
I have a 4500 dually, 4 wheel drive that I REALLY want to take down to some of our Texas beaches. I carry an AF1150, so it's pretty heavy.
Almost every beach says to air down, and I'd feel more comfortable doing so, but, know that you really can't with 19.5's.
I've seen several sites talk about beadlocks.
Any experience or tips would be appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
Global expedition vehicles uses a Hutchinson 19.5 beadlock with some of their campers.

av8rds
Explorer
Explorer
My tire guy is adamant about not doing it BUT I see Class A's with their 19.5's air'd down all the time on the beach......I have yet to try it myself but I'd really like to go F-450/550 so it may be in my future.
'06 X-cab Powerstroke Dually 4x4
'75 Ford Bronco Rockcrawler
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I left TX Crystal Beach 5 days ago
Haven't seen anybody airing down, so you do have lot of choices.
But frankly, I park my new dually on the street before.
Have seen too many things Ocean salt can do to machinery.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't know what pressure they come off, but they do come off. It's been documented on here a few times when people attempt to air down for beach driving. As Bedlam noted though, they really don't gain much surface area when you air them down so what would be the point.

Then, there is the rim type between 24.5 and 19.5. I can't say if they are the same or not.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
We usta run 55 psi off road in 24.5 tires on drilling rig mud vacuum trucks - tandem axles at about 46,000 lbs. They dint fall off rim. That only happens to 19.5s on rv dot net.

Bedlam
19.5" tire sidewalls were not designed to be aired down. You can safely go down to 70 PSI and I have even tried 50 PSI on my 245/70R19.5 PR16 tires, but the tires just won't squat and going lower will most likely roll the tire off the rim.

I'd like to see a dually sock that would stretch over both rear tires but have not seen something like this for sand.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

pcoplin
Explorer
Explorer
I would call Hutchinson, they can probably make you whatever you want.
2005 F350 CCLB Dually 6.0/5R110
2009 Adventurer 950B

tad94564
Explorer
Explorer
I also thought with the 19.5" steel ply side walls, airing down too far damages them so they will 'zipper' apart.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would expect that in Texas you would have a lot of good off-road tire shops to call?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I don't think it's possible with 19.5s due to the type of bead.

I've heard the same thing. I would recommend first calling a 19.5 tire Mfg and get this claim verified - I'd like to know for sure also.

Being an avid Jeeper, I had beadlock rims on all my Jeeps. I'll throw this out as something I had to do once on one of them - I had a cheap set of steel rims I welded a beadlock kit onto. Not being a great welder, they leaked. To solve that, I ran inner tubes. Moral of the story - possibly make your own beadlock rims out of 6 steels? Only a thought...
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I guess you'll know when your tires are digging for China and that big tow bill hit ya...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think it's possible with 19.5s due to the type of bead. American Force does make a lot of different 19.5s and 22.5s. Maybe you could just go for bigger tires or go with super singles.

Otherwise, it depends on the beach if it is going to matter or not. Some are quite hard.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member