cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bedding in overhead beds in T/C

jimbow2
Explorer
Explorer
As we age, making the over head bed gets more difficult...... My wife thinks only fitted sheets like at home; nice but getting to hard to make..... I'm purposing sleeping bag with or without liners...or some other combo..... What's the first hand experiences ...... ADVICE.
ages of 77 & 84... still going to try to keep getting up into the bed.... Thank You
jimbow
28 REPLIES 28

Ronald79
Explorer
Explorer
rutzbeck wrote:
I have a topper. I pull the end of the topper to me and then put the fitted sheet on. Then let it flop back. I throw the top sheet and blankets to the top and stuff in the amount I would like at the foot. The bed isn't neat but it is made. I have lots of blankets as I go from hot to cold to hot again.

rutzbeck , and you have not thought about buying quality sleepwear?
Progress has stepped forward in this matter. There are many different cool RV sleeping gear available https://mattressella.com/, from basic mattress pads and sleeping bags, to cool mattresses of any kind. Plus, a healthy sleep while traveling is very much worth it, in my opinion.

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Just turned 80. Had my TC for 16 years and solo travel 5->6 mo/yr. Have always used a sleeping bag. Can't imagine trying to make a bed. 🙂
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
jimbow2 wrote:
As we age, making the over head bed gets more difficult...... My wife thinks only fitted sheets like at home; nice but getting to hard to make..... I'm purposing sleeping bag with or without liners...or some other combo..... What's the first hand experiences ...... ADVICE.
ages of 77 & 84... still going to try to keep getting up into the bed.... Thank You

Can you hire a maid then deduct it as a medical expense? Rim Shot...

Motion is lotion, keep doing what you're doing till you can't. I hope I'll still be able to make the TC bed at 77 plus. It's a pain now climbing up there and making the bed, let alone getting in and out during the night. I bought my TC from a guy whose wife couldn't do it anymore. A hot tip I learned here on the forum years back is to make the bed at the front and work your way back to finish at the foot of the bed. That way you're not fighting yourself, climbing over the sheets as you make it.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're about 30-40 odd years separated based on the ages listed.

We still do a fitted sheet, top sheet and a blanket, with a king size sleeping bag unzipped as a comforter on top, but we have an East-West style bed and are a good deal younger, so crawling in and working from the corners on the window side and backing out till we reach the step would likely be a bit more challenging for you guys.

Since the mattress sits in basically a bowl, the flat sheets and blanket easily tuck under the polyurethane foam mattress easily enough and stay put because they're being somewhat clamped in place by the snug fit of the mattress in the cabover.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
I have a topper. I pull the end of the topper to me and then put the fitted sheet on. Then let it flop back. I throw the top sheet and blankets to the top and stuff in the amount I would like at the foot. The bed isn't neat but it is made. I have lots of blankets as I go from hot to cold to hot again.

Mr_Choogs
Explorer
Explorer
https://sierradesigns.com/frontcountry-bed-20-queen/

Sierra Designs Front Country Bed sleeping bag. Comes in full and queen sizes, with a fitted section that attaches it to the mattress. Bed is made in <5 seconds. We keep a lighter blanket for covering up with on warmer nights when the full 20* rating of the bag is too warm. Saves on fuel/furnace usage as well.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Or I can tell you what they told me when I asked:

Suck it up buttercup. (paraphrased)

Making the bed in my TC is a spelunking expedition. I have to crawl UNDER the mattress to get the sheets and blankets tucked under the far side. I wrangle the fitted sheet on while on the bed, then throw the flat sheet and blanket over the far side, then crawl under the mattress and pull it under.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bedlam
Fitted sheet on the mattress and a comforter/duvet on top. I start with the two corners at the head of the bed and do the foot of the bed last. I never thought it was much of an issue with a fitted sheet - Now if you asked me to make hospital corners with a flat sheet, I would probably laugh at you...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It's not even hard for me to make a TC bed, just a pain in the @ss.
We still used typical household setup sheets and blanket, but were it up to me, I'd slap a couple sleeping bags up there and call it a day.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
We use two lightweight sleeping bags zipped together. If it gets too hot, I keep a flat sheet handy for a top cover. Much easier to make a sleeping bag bed than layers of sheets and comforter. Those Beddy's zip together sheets look interesting, but really expensive.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV Superbag
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Large, washable, inexpensive sleeping bags are one idea.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
We use fitted sheets. We put them on front corners near the wall first. We also use Duvet covers and different thickness feather tickings depending on the season. My wife usually keeps an extra blanket in case she gets too cold while I'm usually too warm. 😉

I do agree that the small motorhomes are pretty nice if you are having problems getting up into the bed and making it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Time to buy a small motorhome with a queen walk-around and larger bathroom.