cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bedding in overhead beds in T/C

jimbow2
Explorer
Explorer
As we age, making the over head bed gets more difficult...... My wife thinks only fitted sheets like at home; nice but getting to hard to make..... I'm purposing sleeping bag with or without liners...or some other combo..... What's the first hand experiences ...... ADVICE.
ages of 77 & 84... still going to try to keep getting up into the bed.... Thank You
jimbow
28 REPLIES 28

rickjo
Explorer
Explorer
Cliff_Michele wrote:
Dont have a TC yet but what about cutting top sheets and blankets down the middle? When you go to bed you slide in your side and pull your covers over you. No need to wiggle to the top of the bed and then back down. TC on the way but that is our thought.

Don't know about the cutting. We have a king size memory foam mattress in our cabover. Fitted pad and sheet isn't too bad to put on. Then we each have our own top sheet, blanket(s) and spread sort of tucked in on one edge. Getting in and out in the middle is a breeze and with the memory foam, we can often accomplish that without waking the other up. Worked for 15 years so far.

Rick
2019 F-350 4WD Crew Cab DRW 6.2 l gas engine (6500 lbs cargo capacity!)
2007 LanceMax 1181 loaded, King memory foam mattress (driver's side locker omitted).
"Leave the trail a little better than you found it."

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
davidreyan15 wrote:
Or I can tell you what they told me when I asked:

Suck it up buttercup. (paraphrased)

Making the bed in my TC is a spelunking expedition. I have to crawl UNDER the mattress to get the sheets and blankets tucked under the far side.

I wrangle the fitted sheet on while on the bed, then throw the flat sheet and blanket over the far side, then crawl under the mattress and pull it under.

Unfortunately I have done the same for years....and I hate it. My mattress is 8" of fairly dense and definitely heavy foam. Trying to get under, raise the mattress and wrangle the fitted sheet in place is a major chore. There must be a better way.

davidreyan15
Explorer
Explorer
Or I can tell you what they told me when I asked:

Suck it up buttercup. (paraphrased)

Making the bed in my TC is a spelunking expedition. I have to crawl UNDER the mattress to get the sheets and blankets tucked under the far side.

I wrangle the fitted sheet on while on the bed, then throw the flat sheet and blanket over the far side, then crawl under the mattress and pull it under.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Lwiddis wrote:
Large, washable, inexpensive sleeping bags are one idea.

Ditto!
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sleeping bags and blankets.
It is what I use at home.
I often use a top sheet but not folded in, loose under the blanket.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
MY TC is a popup, so it's not too hard to pull the queen-sized mattress down to where I can stand on the floor, slip the fitted sheet over the top, then push it back up and finish putting the sheet over the bottom. Then - Ed and I have our own twin-sized sheets/blankets because we never agree on how much we need (plus he steals the blankets). The twin size makes washing bedding easier. If it's going to be truly cold, we always carry a couple of lightweight sleeping bags to use unzipped like comforters
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
After using almost all the previously mentioned configurations of bedding we are now trying out Beddy’s Bedding. Kinda like a sleeping bag but much more confortable and nice looking. Very easy to make the bed. I recommend upgrading to the higher quality sheets inside.

Beddys
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 3K VictronConnect Multiplus II, VictronConnect smart DC-DC charger, VictronConnect 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

WarrenS65
Explorer II
Explorer II
When it's just me, I use a sleeping bag. My wife insists on sheets. I say ok, but you put them on.
2022 F450
2023 Host Everest
2021 Yamaha YXZ1000R
1987 Honda TRX250R
2002 Honda 400EX
2023 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
2018 Look 24' enclosed trailer

Cliff_Michele
Explorer
Explorer
Dont have a TC yet but what about cutting top sheets and blankets down the middle? When you go to bed you slide in your side and pull your covers over you. No need to wiggle to the top of the bed and then back down. TC on the way but that is our thought.
"If you think you can when you can't, you just might!"

No RV yet but getting closer! We are too old for this tent stuff!

Cliff and Michele (Humans)
Toby and Bailey (Bichons)

jimbow2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You everyone that sent their comments; all were interesting & helpful.... Since my wife has had two injuries last six months we are reluctant to, but think it's the best plan to change to a trailer whether bumper pull or SMALL 5th wheel with walk around bed...... Truck camping has been wonderful........
jimbow

billsnp5
Explorer
Explorer
We bought some quick zip sheets, make it a whole lot easier.
Google it.
2021 Host Cascade
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4X4 Crew Cab Diesel
2013 Phoenix 721 Bass Boat

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
For me making the bed when I changed the sheets it was HARD! With a lung issue then bending over, stretching, etc.. But I love real sheets. I hate sleeping bags. So how I started doing it was to make part of the bed then take a break. Then come back and finish it. Sure may not be done in 3 minutes like at home but who cares. In the morning it was never a problem to remake it. Just pull the sheets back and done.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
markchengr wrote:
I'm 80. Still do fitted sheets. Making the overhead bed isn't fun but it's doable. We're starting to look at class C's or B+'s with walkaround beds. Getting a little tired of slithering in and out of the overhead but we'll miss the offroad possibilities.

We went to a motorhome, the wifes back just can't do the overhead bed any longer. I will get another TC after we finish moving.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 80. Still do fitted sheets. Making the overhead bed isn't fun but it's doable. We're starting to look at class C's or B+'s with walkaround beds. Getting a little tired of slithering in and out of the overhead but we'll miss the offroad possibilities.