cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best place to get travel trailer insurance

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Putting the trailer at a seasonal site for the first time. Never done the seasonal thing before. Campground mandates insurance which is fine with me. Any recommendations for the best place to get it?
Thanks
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends
19 REPLIES 19

Duane4238
Explorer
Explorer
I believe if you look closely at RV insurance policies, you'll see that the coverage is in effect when the unit is used in conjunction with your vehicle and you are present with both and mobile. If you keep your TT at a park or even at your own recreational property (as I do) you will need to search to find an agent that will cover the TT at a permanent site. Most don't want to cover permanent or stationary units because there is much more liability involved (according to them).
Duane

Kansas_Farm_Gir
Explorer
Explorer
We use USAA for everything. We have our trailer on our policy, it is covered whether it is sitting at home or if it's parked somewhere else. We have been happy with the coverage and the easy of submitting/collecting claims. I have been using USAA since 1981 and can't imagine ever using a different insurance company for any vehicle or home.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
Not saying they are best, but Progressive does offer it.

We've got Progressive too, had a claim once and it was a good experience. We've got Mercury auto insurance but they don't do RV's to the agent put us with Progressive. I believe there are cheaper options however.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Silverback98042
Explorer
Explorer
We have our trailer on our auto policy. We have my truck, two cars, plus my classic car all on the same policy. We also have our home insurance with the same company. Itโ€™s all covered by an umbrella policy.
2013 Ford Superduty F250 Powerstroke CC 4X4 Platinum
2013 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 280 RKS

KPetrick
Explorer
Explorer
JBarca makes some really good points. Also consider the items inside that are personal property. Your homeowners policy may not cover them as they could consider this a "secondary" home. Even if it is covered is it replacement cost or ACV? Would you end up with another deductible and be faced with turning in a claim on your homeowners insurance?

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
proxim2020 wrote:
Since we all have different situations and live in different parts of the country, you're going to get opinions that are all over the map. One will say that X Company is the greatest thing since sliced bread while another will says the company is overpriced.

Find an independent insurance agent and let them shop around for you. They work with several insurance companies and often can find offerings from companies that the general public doesn't even consider. Just tell them the level of coverage that you're looking for and they'll normally come back with several quotes to pick from.

This is a very good answer. I'll a few more things. You are getting a number of responses to just add the camper to your auto policy. A caution on this.

You may need, I suggest you get an actual RV policy. This situation is very different. The camper is not "stored" on your home property. It is not hitched to your truck. Ask your auto policy person if the coverage will still be active when the camper is unhooked from the truck and stored all year at a property you do not own. Ask them, if your camper has some problem and starts a fire etc, will that policy cover your liability to damage done to other people's property whether it be the campground or your neighbors camper next to you?

RV policies are written different, many times they cost more than an auto rider depreciation policy due to the coverage they offer.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Since we all have different situations and live in different parts of the country, you're going to get opinions that are all over the map. One will say that X Company is the greatest thing since sliced bread while another will says the company is overpriced.

Find an independent insurance agent and let them shop around for you. They work with several insurance companies and often can find offerings from companies that the general public doesn't even consider. Just tell them the level of coverage that you're looking for and they'll normally come back with several quotes to pick from.

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
Had Geico until they told me our policy was going up $200.00 a year. Never had any claims with them. So we switched to Liberty Mutual. Cheaper with more coverage.

LetsRV
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on Geico. Have had them for three years now. Very minor increase last year. Went up $15 total across two cars and Class C RV.
Due to depreciation the above opinions are now worth less than what you paid for them.

We are all good at something.....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
nineoaks2004 wrote:
We use GEICO. for everything... Best prices and good coverage. We used to have it with Natl Gen. (Good Sam) but saved almost $ 50.00 a month with the same coverage.

X2 on Geico having the best rates and coverage. I have my home, 2 cars, travel trailer, boat and umbrella policy-- all with Geico with significant discounts for multi policy and no claims!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
We went with Grange Mutual and have had excellent service through them. They replaced the floor in a hybrid we had with no questions or hassall. We also had a no deductible policy and was cheaper than Progressive, Geico, and our home and car insurance carrier. The home office is in Columbus, Ohio.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
check with the truck insurance company, they might do trailers and they might give a discount for two vehicles.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
We had good luck with Progressive but it was not a seasonal policy.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
We use GEICO. for everything... Best prices and good coverage. We used to have it with Natl Gen. (Good Sam) but saved almost $ 50.00 a month with the same coverage.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game