cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Place to Sell Tow Vehicle

4bearhug
Explorer
Explorer
Not trying to break any rules but just want get some informed opinions on the best place to list a tow vehicle for sale with the least amount of hassle. I've used Craigslist in the past with some success but also had a fair amount of scammers. I've also used Cars.com and Autotraders with mixed results. Autotraders has really jacked up their rates. Are there other sites that I should be considering? It's a diesel truck so I didn't know if that made any difference.
18 REPLIES 18

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Just don’t be one of those douches that doesn’t answer inquiries and for gods sake put your phone number in the ad!

Is that a typo? I totally agree with the first part, however I never put my phone number on a CL ad. I use their anonymous email system. If I get what I think is a valid contact THEN I will give them a phone number, not before. To each their own...

4bearhug
Explorer
Explorer
Well to offer some closure to this discussion I ended up listing it on Cars.com and Craigslist knowing full well that I would have bogus interest. Truck sold on the 3rd day it was listed without too much grief from scammers. I only had 5-6 serious contacts but they were all interested at different price points. All in all a fairly painless transaction at an insignificant cost. The best part was receiving $8k more than my best trade in offer.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You guys act like CL and FB are any different than classified adds of the past.
If you want to sell private party those are the 2 best places.
Just don’t be one of those douches that doesn’t answer inquiries and for gods sake put your phone number in the ad!

If you have half a brain you can tell scammers and people who aren’t serious about buying.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said FB marketplace
I have used Cl for years to buy and sell vehicles and farm machinery. Within the last couple years it seems to have gone down hill
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
4bearhug wrote:
I really don't see a high end diesel truck going too well on Facebook, but the clientele might be a higher quality than Craigslist. On the other hand word of .

Craigslist is what I consider the bottom barrel for Clientele, FB marketplace maybe a 1/4 step above.

Lots of shady folks in FB marketplace too.
Bob

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
4bearhug wrote:

Not sure I want to go the "facebook route" just yet. I really don't see a high end diesel truck going too well on Facebook, but the clientele might be a higher quality than Craigslist. On the other hand word of mouth might be the secret on facebook.

It's definitely the friend of a friend of a friend that gets your FB Marketplace circulated.

I still cruise Craigslist in my local area for boat stuff and it seems every other listing is a scammer. There are still plenty of legit items but's getting hard to sift through all the scams.

Here's the easy thing: Post the truck on FB Marketplace and give it 2 weeks. If you don't get any good hits delete the ad. If nothing else, it's completely free to test the waters and see what interest there is at the price you want.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I'd put it on Craigslist. Yes, you may get some scam email, but so what? You know the ones to ignore. There is no more scammers on CL that there is FB. You can also try CarGurus.com, or take it to CarMax and have them give you an offer on it.

An RV forum that has a for sale section would also be a good bet - I'd post it there just to see what if any interest it sparks.

In the end, put it on multiple sites - like going fishing. I fish with multiple rods so there is a better chance of catching something.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

4bearhug
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
Vvvv1010 wrote:
“Facebook Marketplace” is a great place to post your tow vehicle. You will need a login account to post your vehicle. Google first if you don’t have an account just to get a feel for it.

We've done a good bit of vehicle shuffling in the last year and I've sold two vehicles on FB Marketplace. Both of them had multiple hits quickly and both sold within 2 weeks. This spring I sold some Jeep accessories on FB and almost got into a bidding war with so many people wanting the items.

Take good pictures, thoroughly describe the features (and flaws), price it fairly, and get all your friends to share the post. A clean, well kept diesel truck will sell in a heartbeat on FB.

KJ

Not sure I want to go the "facebook route" just yet. I really don't see a high end diesel truck going too well on Facebook, but the clientele might be a higher quality than Craigslist. On the other hand word of mouth might be the secret on facebook.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Vvvv1010 wrote:
“Facebook Marketplace” is a great place to post your tow vehicle. You will need a login account to post your vehicle. Google first if you don’t have an account just to get a feel for it.

We've done a good bit of vehicle shuffling in the last year and I've sold two vehicles on FB Marketplace. Both of them had multiple hits quickly and both sold within 2 weeks. This spring I sold some Jeep accessories on FB and almost got into a bidding war with so many people wanting the items.

Take good pictures, thoroughly describe the features (and flaws), price it fairly, and get all your friends to share the post. A clean, well kept diesel truck will sell in a heartbeat on FB.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Vvvv1010
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Jayco Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2011 Ford F250 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Two 10'0 Kayaks

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
4bearhug wrote:
Sjm9911 wrote:
Of your buying a new one,sometimes its better to trade it in. Get the values , then figure on the tax savings, and the hassle selling it. Then see if its worth it for you.

Yes, that is always an option, but it appears that dealers pricing so low that it's not an option for me. I did an appraisal at all three of the popular online sites and the dealer offers were way below the trade in numbers I got. This is a low mileage diesel truck and I would hear "we can't give you more cause we will struggle to sell that here". I think the dealers just get enough people that just don't want the hassle of selling it so they just try to really fleece you on the trade in. May not be everyone, but not seeing any reasonable offers yet. YMMV

Its also a negotiation with them. They offered me 16,000 on my old truck. I told them 17k or im not buying the new one, after some back and forth they gave me the 17k. So , after tax savings of 6 percent was like getting 18,500 for the truck. I could have sold it for 19, to 20. But figured 18500 was the low end of the private seller thing, and its no hassle. They tax number gets taken off the taxes for the new truck. But if the numbers dont work, they dont work. Good luck with selling it.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
When selling anything through Craigslist, I always set up a location away from my home to show the item.

I started doing that but quickly became frustrated with the number of people who don't show up, no call, just wasting my time and gas. Now they come to me. We live in a pretty safe area and I sometimes have my .380 in my back pocket. Never invite them inside.

Good luck

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
When selling anything through Craigslist, I always set up a location away from my home to show the item. If selling something that may be a high theft item, I have the perspective buyer meet me at the Sheriff's Department. They allow transactions in the parking lot in front of their building. I have had a couple of people refuse to meet me there. That was a huge red flag about the buyer. I showed a family my 2017 TT in a WalMart parking lot. They talked it over and put a deposit of $50 on it right there. I delivered it to the guys business the next day at noon and got the rest of my cash.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Craigslist seems to be the necessary evil in my experience (other than the worse evil of trading in, that is). I find a descriptive well written ad it key to selling anything on Craigslist. I know as a shopper I'm pretty put off when all someone takes time to do is write two sentences. With RVs and trucks I've had great luck by writing accurate, descriptive ads that let people get to know the vehicle and your care/use of it.

Dealing with scammers? Well, that's kind of part of life anywhere these days. Google is your friend. Start entering phone numbers and email addresses of everyone you deal with. This can quickly let you know if their story adds up. I've also told people I expect to see a copy of their driver's license upon first contact and I'm happy to share mine. Of course, people don't have to share that if they don't want to it's a HUGE red flag if they refuse for some reason.