cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Truck Camper made

rinkmom899
Explorer
Explorer
Recently purchased a Host Mammoth truck camper and can't say enough good things about it. It is unbelievable how much room there is in it. We just spent 6 weeks in it on a cross country trip and never felt the least bit crowded. The floor plan is very functional and we were amazed at all the extra features it had that were not even in the advertisements for it. Lights in the awning, outside area lights great for hooking on at night or just sitting outside. The fireplace was perfect for heating as well as ambiance. We went through 80 degrees of weather change on our trip from 108 in Ca.to 28 in the mountains of Az. and were very comfortable. The slide out storage tray is an excellent addition and allowed us more than ample room for all our gear In addition to a great product, the after purchase customer service is outstanding. We had a slight mishap on our return trip and needed to replace our escape hatch. I called Host and my call was answered by one of the owners who shipped the part that day.
34 REPLIES 34

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
jmcgsd wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
I thought mine was the best. 🙂

No, mine is!

Oh no, no, no, no, no, mine is. My wife says so.

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
Is that camper really 44 years old? That's amazing! It looks great!

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
1971amerigo wrote:
I would hold my vote for best truck camper made after I see what it looks like when it is 44 years old.

I was thinking the same thing .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I thought mine was the best. 🙂

No, mine is!
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're right Nordsky. 5,500 lbs +\-
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
My single slide 11.5 footer scaled 4200 lb winterized and I have aluminium frame, what makes it ULTRALIGHT (I guess)

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
mike/kellie wrote:
4000 lbs is a myth.

:h

as in that number is way too low??????? LOL, but with the way the various brands of side entry camper weigh, I'd be expecting a wet Host to be over the 5,000 pound mark by a lot, maybe even closer to the 6,000 pounds that Eagle Caps 1160/1165 get towards.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
We still spend the majority of time outside. 4000 lbs is a myth.

Bedlam
I have a truck camper so I can tow a heavy trailer and have 4wd on my RV. We camp rain or shine and enjoy having a comfortable place to hunker down while watching the passing storms. This is my budget compact 4wd Super C that does not exist in other forms other than a custom build.

In that heavy trailer are multiple vehicles that will go places where campers cannot, extended boon docking supplies and other creature comforts we do want to carry in the camper. Some people go out to get away from it all or are minimalists - We are not.

Our TC is used for boon docking on public and private lands or tethered at a park, campground or resort. It is our second home when we visit a venue or city and when we are away from development. For us the TC is a hotel suite, city studio, woods cabin, beach bungalow and much more...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

finaddict
Explorer
Explorer
Ok no offense is meant here at all. And I know that everyone uses their campers for different purposes, but here's my thoughts; That camper weighs 4,000 lbs. No way its going into the spots I take my little 2000 lb. 8 1/2 foot Alpenlite. Which is the reason why campers were built in the first place, to go places that trailers and 5'ers can't get to.

Its beautiful and boy when its that nice inside, you would never venture outside. No offense, but I thought the idea was to be outside? no?

1971amerigo
Explorer
Explorer
I would hold my vote for best truck camper made after I see what it looks like when it is 44 years old.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good, but I missed the price tag?

tad94564
Explorer
Explorer
kerry4951 wrote:
Then they apparently improved several things. The one I looked at 3 years ago at the Hershey RV show had several issues that needed to be addressed.I know they reworked the sliding bathroom door since I was in the Mammoth at Hershey. That was one area that needed improvement. The pantry shelving was another area of concern for me.

Yea, the new bathroom door is now truly "hospital grade" material. It's expensive, but it works really nice now.

We love the electric fireplace. It's a great way to heat the camper if it's not below zero, and also helps the propane furnace run less. We stayed at Grand Canyon Railroad over christmas last year, and even though it dipped below zero at night, the only issue we had was some ice/frost at the bottom of the entry door.

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
The pantry shelves are adjustable and we just pack the pantry with heavy objects low. Pasta, spices, coffee etc are upper shelves. The new 1200 profiled here a couple weeks ago got my attention with the dinette in the rear slide but the shared pantry clothes closet in the bath lost it for me.