cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best way into Grand Lake Colorado

ctperk69
Explorer
Explorer
Going to Grand Lake for the 4th. Pulling 24 ft starcraft launch ultra light with 2013 Ford F150 v8. I've gone over on Trail ridge road last year. Just didn't know if there was a better way, coming from Iowa so I have considered going down through Wyoming.
3 REPLIES 3

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
The Wyoming route is a beautiful drive but 2 lane only.
I 80 to Laramie; 230 SW thru' Woods landing; at WY/CO border it becomes CO127 to 125 and south to Granby; 34 back to Grand Lake.
Enjoy!!
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

Winterwolf227
Explorer
Explorer
I lived outside Grand Lake for a number of years. i-70 to Empire and over Berthoud Pass (Hwy 40) is the best option. Why 34 from Loveland through Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National park is a scenic route that is amazing, it is not the best option for towing an RV.

I70 is a pull out of Denver up to altitude, but it is a 3-4 lane interstate Hwy and allows for slower traffic. Berthod Pass is gonna be a pull but it is better than the altitude change you will experience on Hwy 34. Feel free to IM me if you need more info. Grand Lake is a beautiful area, lots to do if your into the outdoors.
Kb,Lori,Abby and Doberman Rosie and Boxer Boaz
Portland, OR
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 Cummins, 48RE, Firestone RideRite Air Bags

2016 Creekside 23DBS
Past -
2014 Komfort Trailblazer 2610BH
2005 Starcraft Hybrid

Texmac1011
Explorer
Explorer
I've been a couple ways. Hwy 34 off I-25 in Loveland and Hwy 40 to Hwy 34 off I-70 West of Denver. Coming from Iowa, I would definitely go the I-70 route. 34 is a long winding road out of Loveland. Either way, have a great and safe trip. We really enjoy the Grand Lake area.