cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bicycles vertically on the Camper Ladder??

ggadwa
Explorer
Explorer
On our Eagle Cap 950 the Rear Ladder is mounted on the Shower side with no room left to install the typical Bicycle Rack. Has anyone come up with a method to mount Bicycles vertically on the rear ladder rails???
Sure could use some ideas????
Gary
HAM RADIO Operator since 1964 'W7FSI'
EAGLE CAP 2011 950 CUSTOM BUILT by the great folks at LaGrande Oregon
2012 FORD 350 XLT 6.7L Diesel 4x4 Super Cab with lots of stuff
13 REPLIES 13

Nemo667
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I think THIS is REALLY what you are asking about.

Click here.

Enjoy!
+1
2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23447685.cfmhttp://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23447685.cfm
Hereโ€™s some information on how to build your own ladder mounted bike rack
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XLโ€™s.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I tried the sideways model. I didnโ€™t like not being able to open the door. DutchmenSportโ€™s link has the details on hanging perpendicular to the ladder.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

ggadwa
Explorer
Explorer
My Front hitch is already in use. My ladder doe not attache to the roof.

GARY

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
moebedick wrote:
Please,before you hang bike(s) on your ladder, consider a front hitch and bike rack. I carried two bicycles on a class C ladder and developed a chronic roof leak. It drove me crazy! I dismounted the ladder, sealed everything imaginable and reinstalled the ladder. A few storms and bingo,the leak would be back, I have been a boater for fifty years and I am quite good at solving leaks. It's a necessity when you have a large,moored sailboat. Camper roofs are flimsy by comparison to boat hulls. They are not intended to bear the weight,sustain the vibration or withstand the sudden shocks incurred when carrying bikes. Additionally, carrying the bikes in the way you suggest only increases those forces.
I'm sure that some people will disagree and say that they've carried their bikes on there ladders over lunar landscapes with no ill affects. Good for them! I,however,know what it's like to suffer those ill affects! Best to avoid them. (Also,easier to load and unload on a horizontal rack).

You are assuming that all ladders attach to the roof. Some, like mine stop before the rear awning and are only attached to the side wall of the camper and are not going to cause a leaky roof.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I think THIS is REALLY what you are asking about.

Click here.

Enjoy!

moebedick
Explorer
Explorer
Please,before you hang bike(s) on your ladder, consider a front hitch and bike rack. I carried two bicycles on a class C ladder and developed a chronic roof leak. It drove me crazy! I dismounted the ladder, sealed everything imaginable and reinstalled the ladder. A few storms and bingo,the leak would be back, I have been a boater for fifty years and I am quite good at solving leaks. It's a necessity when you have a large,moored sailboat. Camper roofs are flimsy by comparison to boat hulls. They are not intended to bear the weight,sustain the vibration or withstand the sudden shocks incurred when carrying bikes. Additionally, carrying the bikes in the way you suggest only increases those forces.
I'm sure that some people will disagree and say that they've carried their bikes on there ladders over lunar landscapes with no ill affects. Good for them! I,however,know what it's like to suffer those ill affects! Best to avoid them. (Also,easier to load and unload on a horizontal rack).

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
yup

standard thule bike tray. and footers that clamp on factory suv roof rails and a 50" cross bar cut in half to make to 25" cross bars
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Here is just one Stromberg Carlson 2 Bike Carrier for RVs - Ladder Mount - Aluminum

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
I think the answer is yes they do.. I have seen many carried that way.

ggadwa
Explorer
Explorer
I think I didn't make my inquiry clear. I am looking for Cycle Rack that mounts by the Front Forks and the rear tire. This would make the Bikes stick out from the ladder not lay down along the back of the Camper. My Ladder on the Eagle Cap does not have room for Bikes to lay flat against the Camper ladder.

Gary

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Carrying bikes on ladders is done quite often.
Ladder Bike rack

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
They make a ladder mounted rack that can be used for that depending on what type of bikes you have. Do a search for RV ladder mount bike rack.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT