cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black water tank health concerns and questions

OregonMan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, something I've completely avoided doing in my travel trailer since buying it in 2018 is using my tanks - neither the fresh water, grey water or black water tanks have been used once in any way. Part of the reason is because I want to avoid the hassle of dumping and cleaning the tanks, carrying the extra weight etc. But the biggest part of my concern are health issues that could be caused by carrying around a tank full of my waste underneath where I eat and sleep. It's no secret that human waste can create a lot of bad bacteria and parasites and sometimes mold. I am concerned that if I start using my tanks, the black water tank especially, that harmful bacteria/mold could form that would find its way into the air of my trailer and that it might lead to health problems.

Are these concerns unfounded? Are waste and water tanks on newer travel trailers designed well enough where it truly keeps all of the bacteria and bad stuff sealed off from the rest of the trailer? Maybe I'm spoiled from having real plumbing most of my life, but the idea of having a tank full of bacteria, parasites and potentially harmful mold sitting right underneath my living area sounds like a surefire way to get health problems.

Thanks for any feedback or sharing your experiences with this. As I get older it becomes harder for me to walk or drive to facilities to use the bathroom and I'm considering finally starting to use the tanks in my trailer but the health concerns are a sticking point for sure.
39 REPLIES 39

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
OregonMan wrote:
Hi guys, something I've completely avoided doing in my travel trailer since buying it in 2018 is using my tanks - neither the fresh water, grey water or black water tanks have been used once in any way. Part of the reason is because I want to avoid the hassle of dumping and cleaning the tanks, carrying the extra weight etc. But the biggest part of my concern are health issues that could be caused by carrying around a tank full of my waste underneath where I eat and sleep. It's no secret that human waste can create a lot of bad bacteria and parasites and sometimes mold. I am concerned that if I start using my tanks, the black water tank especially, that harmful bacteria/mold could form that would find its way into the air of my trailer and that it might lead to health problems.

Are these concerns unfounded? Are waste and water tanks on newer travel trailers designed well enough where it truly keeps all of the bacteria and bad stuff sealed off from the rest of the trailer? Maybe I'm spoiled from having real plumbing most of my life, but the idea of having a tank full of bacteria, parasites and potentially harmful mold sitting right underneath my living area sounds like a surefire way to get health problems.

Thanks for any feedback or sharing your experiences with this. As I get older it becomes harder for me to walk or drive to facilities to use the bathroom and I'm considering finally starting to use the tanks in my trailer but the health concerns are a sticking point for sure.

If the health concerns were real we would have been dead decades ago
1) we drink the water from the fresh tank!!
2) we travel with full fresh tanks ALL the time, to avoid issues with campgrounds w/o water for whatever reason and the ability to pull in, roll out the awing and enjoy the evening w/o having to worry about water
3) we use the toilet, often going a week or more w/o filling the tank
4) unless we are at a site with a full hookup or need to go more than 200 mile or so home, go home with full tanks, back into the driveway and a day or so later dump into my home sewer system.
5) our family including, kids, grandkids etc. have been doing this for decades, 60-120 days/year and never had an issue.
6) we even use the trailer shower.
Heck one of the reasons for a trailer is to be able to use these conviences.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

dedmiston
Lwiddis wrote:
Have an experienced RVer show you how to dump cleanly for you and the dump station. Rubber gloves, hand sanitizer, a small bucket or dishpan, safety glasses, maybe a stool. First rule is โ€œhookupโ€ securely the hose to the dump hole before you go near your trailerโ€™s dump connection.

As a counterpoint, most of us donโ€™t do most of those things.

Just think of it as if youโ€™re using the bathroom but with more accessories. Do what you need to do and then wash your hands afterwards. Done deal.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Must be a function of the woke carp.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
QCMan wrote:
Sarcasm seems to be unrecognizable these days.

It certainly is on these boards, as is sense of humor.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never had a problem from using black water or grey water tank. Took extra care tho. It was no hassle for me to carry jugs of water from my home for drinking and cooking. I used the fresh water tank water for showers and other uses.

I refilled my jugs at the campground. An RVer once told me he caught someone trying to drop cigarette butts in his fresh water intake. I have heard others seen folks pouring something into another RVer's fresh water tank. Different strokes for different folks. Never been sick while camping for many years only bug bites. Just saying.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The plumbing is virtually same as at home. It is all just pipes. Take reasonable precautions same as you do at home and there are no issues.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like I think was mentioned earlier, no 'health issues' with using the tanks and having "stuff" in them and being in the living space in general.. Yes, you do still have to have them intact and have functioning plumbing in general... (ie: proper ventilation, no leaks, etc.)

But, you then do have to DUMP the grey and black tanks.. That's where you are going to be the closest to the nasty stuff..

Your fresh water tank is just that.. Fresh water, so depending on the source of your water and if you sanitize it or if you even elect to 'drink' from it, that's really up to you..

Since the OP mentions some physical limitations to even going to the parks facilities, I'd have to wonder about the ability to go thru a dump process??

You still need to basically have some physical ability to do the routine things that make up setting up and breaking down a campsite.. Be that a full hookup site, or some primitive site..

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

OregonMan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone who provided serious replies. Always kind of followed the rule of "don't sh*t where you eat" and since my trailer is a pretty small trailer meant for 1 maybe 2 people, it was always kind of a health/sanitation concern. Another thing I worried about was too much moisture getting involved with the trailer since moisture/water can really erode/damage stuff over time. I've seen tips about using chlorine in your fresh water tank but should you not do that in your black water tank? I'm not exactly a germaphobe but maybe adding a little dish washing detergent on a regular basis to the black tank as Gdetrailer suggested would help keep the bad bacteria at bay. You guys helped ease my mind about this. Thinking about doing another cross country road trip and if I do probably will end up finally using the tanks. Gotten along fine without them for this long but age is starting to catch up with me. Thanks again guys.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You are no more at risk of these tanks than you are from the sewer plumbing under your house.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sarcasm seems to be unrecognizable these days.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
PButler96 wrote:
I have belonged to different forums at different times going back to when Al invented the internet. I have never seen one as bizarre as RV.net.

Folks have a lot of "fears", some founded and some unfounded, some rooted in hysteria from the Internet, TV, Radio and other sources, some from general concerns that something might be harmful but doesn't understand..

It isn't nice to make fun of folks that are concerned about potential health issues.

All it takes is some understanding, patience, empathy and a good explanation why their fears/concerns are not founded.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
The same germs and bacteria that you fear in your RV are just on the otherside of your P trap in your toilets and sinks.
Those germs are just as close to you in your house as they are in your RV.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
I have belonged to different forums at different times going back to when Al invented the internet. I have never seen one as bizarre as RV.net.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure why OP is so afraid of his/her own doodoo.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
valhalla360 wrote:
Don't drink out of your gray or black tanks and you should be fine.

Campgrounds have their water tested by the local jurisdiction, so even if it smells or tastes less than ideal, it should be safe.

I'm drinking some water out of the tank as I type this.

First part, I agree with.
Second part is basically saying something as fact that you have no idea if it is and likely isnโ€™t.

However not nearly as inane as the OPs paranoia.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold