cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boat hauling

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone want to post what boat your hauling? I will be hauling a 19ft Montauk. How many are using backup cameras? Guess im looking for a confidence boost before hauling first time. Cant get my camera to work its a Camos wireless,the camera came with a Lance 2011 it used to work.Im sure others pull some bigger boats than mine.Be happy when I have some hours under my belt towing,any tips or suggestions on what you keep in mind for avoiding problems? Gas stations campgrounds ect.Now if I could see the boat ,towing with no camper I would haul a 25ft 28ft boat and not be hesitant.
44 REPLIES 44

clinthull
Explorer
Explorer

on our way to the river.

Prominion
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
prominion...you sure like to get cozy with that fire pit...be careful...

The balance between being close enough to the fire and staying under the awning in pissy weather is tough to get just right...I generally err on the side of caution, haven't had a rig go up yet ๐Ÿ™‚
Professional Minion & Sweetie

Prominion
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Probably because the ball mount is mounted the wrong way and he can't get the trailer jack down. I beat that with a 4" drop hitch that I mounted upside down.

Drop hitch is the way to go.

Prominion
Explorer
Explorer
~DJ~ wrote:
Why are your front tires up on blocks?

The way the site was sloped I couldn't get my jack wheel down! Much better now that I replaced the single axle with a tandem axle trailer....now I raise my jack and the trailer doesn't move and I say wtf? :B

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
~DJ~ wrote:

Prominion wrote:

Probably because the ball mount is mounted the wrong way and he can't get the trailer jack down. I beat that with a 4" drop hitch that I mounted upside down.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

TheHardWay9
Explorer
Explorer
No pictures with the camper on, but I tow a 23' Malibu wakeboard boat. Not exactly a light boat, but the truck handles it just fine with the 10' camper and a Super Hitch/Super Truss.
'13 Camp Lite 10.0
'07 SRW Ram 3500 5.9 EFI Live tuned Cummins, 6" on 37s, PacBrake EB and bags

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II

Prominion wrote:

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
prominion...you sure like to get cozy with that fire pit...be careful...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Prominion
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 21 foot Thunderjet weighing just over 3000lb. We use it year round with the camper and put a lot of miles on the trailer in bad road conditions (Roger's Pass in January can be interesting).
I hate not seeing the trailer, it was not bad with the Hallmark but I can't see it at all with the Lance 830. I will be installing a good wireless camera, have not decided on a brand, recommendations gladly accepted.
I launch from a lot of sketchy locations and often with the camper on, however I do it confidently and safely as I have a front mounted class 3 hitch...I would absolutely recommend this to anyone who needs to maneuver any type of trailer in tight conditions, you will not believe how easy it is to precisely guide the trailer into the toughest spots.

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Specularius wrote:

So my word of advice is to check your trailer very well.

This is one reason why I never did switch to one of those break-away tongues. I really like the idea though and I know many who have one.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
I'll let him know.

*** end of high-jack***
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
WVbassmistress wrote:
Specularius, that is exactly why my husband is so against the hitch extension. Maybe over time he will come around and I get get a bigger TC.

FYI, the tongue failure has nothing to do with the extension. The extension makes the hitch the weak point, not the trailer tongue. So, tell your husband that this is in fact a testimonial for the hitch extension system. :B
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
They are only as fast as needed. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I called the trailer manufacturer and found that they had a week design to start with and even though the trailer was 9 years old, they sent me the new designed swing away tongue free of charge. Stand up job from the guys at BoatMate trailers.
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
Specularius, that is exactly why my husband is so against the hitch extension. Maybe over time he will come around and I get get a bigger TC.

BTW, fished out of a Bullet at the WV State Championship...that is one fast-A#$ boat!!!!!!!!!
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon