cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boondocking help

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I don't generally boondock. However, because of the busy Labor Day weekend we could only get a primitive site. No water/no problem. No sewer/no problem. No electric/hhhmmmmm......... We are currently in the northern portion of the lower peninsula of Michigan so no A/C/no problem. Propane tanks are full so hot water and cooking is no problem. We have lanterns so lighting is no problem. Here's the problem! I only have one 12 volt battery and it has to last 48hrs to run the control panels and alarms. Will I make it? What can I "do" to make this work? Thanks for the help!
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC
28 REPLIES 28

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Swap out for a couple of 6V golf cart batteries and you'll get through two days easy, even with the furnace. And a generator can help you extend and/or use AC if necessary on future trips. Being able to go primitive opens up a ton more (and generally much better) camping options.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Boondocking = primitive = remote = off grid = no hookups = a dozen other regional expressions one hears.

Boondocking seems to encompasses almost any situation without hookups, be it remote wilderness or the infield of a NASCAR race.

Of course it does not matter what you call it. Everyone should try it.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
48 hours is nothing.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once you train the family, the power lasts a lot longer. Get a second battery.
Add some LED lights. Minimize use of the furnace. You will be fine.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
If you run just the control panels, using the lanterns for lights, I'd expect the single 12V to last for 48 hours if it's in decent shape. Use the jumper cables if needed. If you have a slide that needs to be opened, use the jumper cables while operating it so the battery will last through everything else.

Use the water pump minimally for the toilets - use the camp ground toilets.

Bill
The water pump actually is one of the lower total power draws. How so? It is limited by the water supply! When the water is gone, the draw stops. At 3 GPM, a typical tank will only require 12-13 minutes of pump run time. Leaving a light or two on by mistake can draw far more power total as it keeps on draining the battery until it is dead!
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

englercr
Explorer
Explorer
Hope it's working out for you. Enjoy the weekend. Cheers!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are careful you might be able to do it on one battery but, I agree with the suggestions to use jumper cables. Rather then running the battery down to far just plan a time each day to hook up the jumper cables and keep everything topped off. Maybe each morning after breakfast type thing ?

You still have time to buy a few LED bulbs for your most used light sockets too. That way you don't have to use flashlights all weekend long.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Use a cooler and shut the refrigerator completely off for the weekend. Shut off the antenna amplifier. Do not run the furnace as they really kill a battery."

Or leave the RV at home and use a tent.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Renee, Renee, Renee. Let the evolving definitions of the words "boondocking" and "dry camping" go on. You can't stop it. Now, "dispersed camping," I'll fight right along with you on that one!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The DW and I can usually make 2 1/2 days on the battery then the water pump cannot draw enough power to shut itself off. As suggested I just took a set of jumpers and ran the TV for 15 to 25 minutes to recharge the battery. Now I just bring a second battery and switch it out.

The DW is getting to like the boon docking experience because it opens up more camping spaces in the MI and WI, especially in the UP.

Cell phone and TV reception were nonexistent on our recent trip, so except for my whining about no microwave, there is not much difference without electricity. My frig and water heater switch to LP. The furnace will draw down the battery rather quickly but we rarely have needed it.

So give it a try, three or four days should give you a good feel for boon docking. We were very fortunate because there were very few mosquito when we were up there so it was quite pleasant until dusk.

I suspect the phantom loads will be you biggest draw.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
A common Shurflo 4008 will draw about 3.2 A and pump about 2.2 GPM at 10 psi (pretty low pressure, like when a faucet is open). Pumping a full 33 gallon tank would take about 33/2.2=15 minutes, and use about 0.8 Ah.

A common group 27 marine "deep cycle" battery is around 90 Ah, so a water pump isn't a significant drain.

Common 921 incandescent bulbs, on the other hand, use about 1.25 A each, and dual fixtures are pretty common. So, just having a couple of lights on for 4 hours might consume 4x1.25x4= 20 Ah. Replacing with LEDs can cut that by 80%.

A Dometic refrigerator running on propane will still draw about .35 A constantly, more if there are fans. That's 8.4 Ah per day.

A MaxxFan 4500K on low draws about .35 A. But, a cheap Ventline vent-fan can draw 1.5 A.

A Suburban NT-20SEQ furnace will draw about 2.5 A when actually running.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming you're within driving distance of a store, go buy another battery.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
water pump does not draw much power and only runs for a short burst.
Even if you pump out the entire fresh water tank, the drain on the battery will not amount to much.

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
buy a small generator or borrow one?
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside