cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brake problem after a blow out

stevepk
Explorer
Explorer
Had a blow out Friday on a trip. First indication was on the trucks info center. Trailer wiring fault. Changed the tire and completed the trip with no trailer brakes. The truck (2018 F-250) indicates “trailer connected” but when I press the pedal there is no indication that the brake are being applied. Also when I adjust the gain it says “no trailer connected “.
Today I jacked it up expecting to find the wires shredded but that was not the case. Everything looks fine on all 4 corners. Pulled the dead man switch and that brake locked up (still jacked up).
Read on here to ohm out the brake and ground pins and that should be under 1 ohm and it is.
I also jumped the 12 volt to brake pins and the brake locks up.
Finally I checked the truck fuse and it’s not blown,

Help please
Thanks in advance
2018 F-250
2017 Prime Time Avenger ATI 27RKS
6 REPLIES 6

stevepk
Explorer
Explorer
SOLVED. If I held the wires just right on the hub that had blow out the whole system worked. Apparently the wire broke inside insulation but the break is not visible. Will rewire the rear axle to avoid future issues.
2018 F-250
2017 Prime Time Avenger ATI 27RKS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I found a similar problem with my older F-250. The controller would display "NC" when connected to the trailer. All wires appeared sound.

What I found was that a rock had impacted the 7 pin wiring connector on the truck and parted a wire within its sheath. This was unobservable by looking at the wire bundle. Try the lowest wire going into your connector, wiggle it and push it about to see if you have lost the copper connection within the wire. If you have an assistant, monitor the controller messaging. If you can wiggle out a good connection, the monitor display will change to "connected" or a voltage value.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
try taking a wire (even jumper cables work for this) and make a temporary ground between the trailer frame and the tow vehicle. see if the brake fault goes away.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
May still have a wiring problem, perhaps at the plug. The truck provides little braking below 11 MPH, so keep that in mind when testing.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If beyond your expertise....is mine....it’s time for a pro repair.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Strange, first seems there is no power going to brakes. But if emergency (deadman) works then power is going to brakes. I would check the plug connection on tow vehicle to see if all terminals are working as they should.