cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Broken Awning Brackets

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Well a 5:00AM storm caught us off guard and the rain pooled up and caused two brackets on the right side of the awning to sheer off and snap. Called the dealer, at least $1,000 to fix more than likely. Looks like parts alone are north of $500.

It's a Carefree awning. So much for being carefree ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'm soooo upset because I know better, but it was early and wasn't thinking clearly.

At least we were able to close it. Bringing to dealer Monday morning. I'm sure it'll take 2 weeks or more, but I'll likely use it anyways waiting for parts to arrive and an open time slot.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10
8 REPLIES 8

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Perhaps this link to Carefree products will help you. Find your awning and click on it. That should take you to the manual for your awning.

Here is another possibility to help you out. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

rclifton
Explorer
Explorer
SouthpawHD wrote:
Well a 5:00AM storm caught us off guard and the rain pooled up and caused two brackets on the right side of the awning to sheer off and snap. Called the dealer, at least $1,000 to fix more than likely. Looks like parts alone are north of $500.

It's a Carefree awning. So much for being carefree ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'm soooo upset because I know better, but it was early and wasn't thinking clearly.

At least we were able to close it. Bringing to dealer Monday morning. I'm sure it'll take 2 weeks or more, but I'll likely use it anyways waiting for parts to arrive and an open time slot.

Try some place else, that price seems very high. Especially the labor. I lost my awning earlier this year to a sudden downpour and had to have the entire unit replaced, it was a 22' carefree awning and cost me $1670 including labor to have it installed.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"I'm soooo upset because I know better, but..."

You aren't alone in the club of RV goofups.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
EBAY is your friend
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Same happened to my son-in-law last year. It was bent so bad they could not get it to retract. A repair guy got it to retract the next day, but it is kinked up very badly.

Dealer said "not repairable". After a lot of research last year, I did find a complete arm assembly but with shipping it was going to be more than 50% of a complete new awning.

I am trying to talk my son-in-law in to trying a MacGyver job. The biggest problem is the whole thing is held together with long rivets. We will have to cut the heads off and push them out. The plan would be to straighten and reinforce the kinked area with 0.080" thick 5052 aluminum bonded with 3M 5200. Less than $30.

If he decide to do the job, I will try and get picture.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Shop around for the parts, try PPL Motorhomes parts sales too...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I'll call Carefree Monday morning and ask about parts and how to install. Problem is I don't have a manual to help me determine how the the thing comes apart.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Why not buy the parts from the internet and fix it yourself? It's not rocket science.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad