cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bunk Seal, removing old residue

fulldec
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to replace the bunk seals on an '04 Aerolite Cub. Does anyone know what I can use to remove the old thin foam tape used to adhere the seal? I don't want to scrape it with a razorblade and leave a scratched surface for the the new seal.

Iโ€™ve tried a heat gun, vinegar, mineral spirits, acetone, alcohol, WD-40, Goo Gone, Goof off, lighter fluid. Using Goof Off, Iโ€™ve managed to clean off about 3โ€™ in 2 hours! Got to be a better way. The Goof Off slowly softens the remaining foam into a gooey mess. Scraping and scrubbing eventually gets the down to the glue. More Goof off eventually cleans that off.

My google search skills have failed me. Please, ill someone who has successfully done this share? Thanks in advance,

Don
2 REPLIES 2

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
My thought would be if you tried all that and it is still sticking why not adhere the new seal over that little that is remaining? Other thought would be a plastic scraper or wire wheel and new paint. I would vote for my first thought
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

gwh1bass
Explorer
Explorer
I feel your pain. I've tried many of your removal attempts. Ended up using a bronze wire wheel in a drill after a quick scrape on a goo gone soaked tape residue. My bunk end frame on the trailer is aluminum painted white, therefore the wire wheel also removed the paint, but the new seal mostly hid the bare aluminum where the wire wheel hit outside the seal channel. My RV is a 2006 KZ hybrid.