Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bunkhouse TT Suggestions

RVdreaming2020
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All!

My family and I are looking into getting started with a travel trailer. Im 33 my wife is 35 and our two boys are 3 and 6. We are struggling to find exactly the right TT. I was hoping you guys might be able to point us toward some good options.

About us. I'm 6'4" and 300 lbs. So we need at least a queen sized bed. We want bunks for the kids and would prefer a u shaped slide out dinette. Other than that we want something in the sub 7,000lbs LOADED weight range if possible. We are having to purchased a new TV as well and we aren't sure that we will be able to spring for the HD F250 etc.

Are there any decent small bunkhouse trailers that would fit these needs? And have enough length in the master bed for me? Thanks a lot! Can't wait to see you guys on the road.

I found the Jayco Jayfeather X213 and thought it was perfect. Bunks and even had a King bed! But the wife feels like the interior common space in the dinette/kitchen is too cramped.
13 REPLIES 13

RVdreaming2020
Explorer
Explorer
We went on Sunday and looked around and ended up finding the Coleman 2455 BH and we really like it. Here it is. Let me know what you guys think of the Dutchman brand. We also looked at an Alpha Wolf with the same floor plan. It was super nice and seemed more premium but was also a solid $7k more expensive. Not sure if that is worth the diff to us or not. The coleman has things like power stabilizers etc and the alpha wolf doesnt.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2020-dutchmen-coleman-light-travel-trailer-floorplan-2455bh-tr45603

camparound
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2018 Palomino Solaire 240 BHS. It sounds like it fits all of the requirements you mentioned. I am 6' 1" and sleep comfortably in the queen bed and have no issues with space when walking around in the trailer. Beware - I owned an 2010 F150 with the 4.8 L engine when I purchased. The 1st time I pulled it home I knew we would need a bigger tow vehicle. Even though that truck was rated for way more than the camper weight those numbers are flat ground perfect conditions based. I ended up purchasing a 2016 F250 with the 6.2 gas engine and it does a fantastic job pulling it.
2016 F250 XL 6.2 4x4
2018Palomino SolAire 240BHS

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we started looking at trailers we were looking at a travel trailer due to budget. I was surprised how poorly built they were. We then looked at some used Fifth Wheel trailers and they seem to be built much sturdier. We wanted a bunk house and like that on a 5th wheel the master is typically in the front and the bunk house in the back. There is a lot of space between noisy kids and parents that want some piece and quiet. It's still a trailer, but we are happy with our decision and found some great units for what we thought was a great price. I sure don't think we paid more for a 5th wheel over a travel trailer, but we got more trailer for the money. If you have or want toys, then the toy hauler is a great option and great with kids. I wish I would have purchased a 1 ton truck and not the 3/4 ton, they are basically the same price. Actually, if you are looking at gas, all full size trucks run about the same. I was looking at a F150 Limited - $70K, then a Silverado 3500, just over $70K for a Diesel. Those were just stickers on the window. I know your budget is $30K for a truck, but find one a few years old and you should have no trouble staying in your budget. I wouldn't be afraid to buy used on either side. Lots of people buy trucks and trailers and barely use them, then sell them cheap. Just keep looking.

264SRinPA
Explorer
Explorer
All Grand Designs have full size queen beds.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the lighter weight RVs have rather low roofs. Step into the shower one time. If your head isn't touching the ceiling I bet it's up inside a skylight like you're wearing a space helmet. This is the test I do when looking at trailers and I'm only 6'. The TTs with higher ceilings are not in the light weight class.
Will you dry camp much? The lightweight trailers also typically have smaller fresh water and sewer tanks. For my family of 5 that likes to camp off grid part of the time that's a deal breaker. Lightweight and sized to fit a tall person, in my experience, don't go together.
While you may not NEED a 2500 series truck to tow a 7,000 pound RV you will like the experience better. Gas powered 2500 series trucks don't really cost that much more than 1500 series trucks. If you start looking at diesel 2500s then yes, the price is much higher. You definitely don't need a diesel and I wouldn't recommend one for your use. A GM 2009 or newer 2500 with the 6.0L gas engine would be a great truck. They are plentiful and not very expensive. The Ford 6.2L and 6.8L V10 also seem to be good gas engines.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
You sure don't need a F250 to pull a 7,000 lbs GVW trailer.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design Imagine 2400BH or 2800BH meet your needs. The GVWRs are higher than 7k but you don’t have to load them that much. Like most RVs I believe they are short queen beds but there is room to extend and put a full mattress but you may lose walk-around ability.

Coworker has the 2800 with his family of 4. Tows it easily with a half ton Ram crew cab.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

RVdreaming2020
Explorer
Explorer
the e-man wrote:
Grand Design Transcend Xplor 265BH

Oh man that's neat. It is a little big. But it's a cool floorplan. I'll have to see if I can find one to go look at.

I found this one too that looks pretty cool:

Surveyor Legend 240BHLE

Not sure what to think about the murphey bed. Not having a spot all of the time to lay down and relax.

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
the e-man wrote:
With younger kids, we really enjoyed our Jayco Jayflight 26BH. used it for nine years and only recently changed to something larger. Only thing from your criteria is that the bed is a camper Queen, a bit shorter than a regular Queen. The nice thing is that it doesn’t have a wall at the end of the bed like some.

You mention wanting a u-shaped dinette. Have you tried one? I’m not large but find them to be very tight. We prefer a traditional dinette.

Just a bit more to add to my prior post. I remember seeing a fairly innovative camper at this year's RV shows. Not sure if it is too large or heavy for you but it does have the u-shaped dinette and bunks you mentioned. Grand Design Transcend Xplor 265BH. It gives an interesting mix of bunks, a couch and dinette, and it has a full-sized Queen. I don't think I have seen this floorplan from any other manufacturers.

We have a Transcend 28MKS which is way bigger than our prior camper. After a year and a half really like it. It is built at least as well as the Jayco we had and has a great floorplan.
2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
With younger kids, we really enjoyed our Jayco Jayflight 26BH. used it for nine years and only recently changed to something larger. Only thing from your criteria is that the bed is a camper Queen, a bit shorter than a regular Queen. The nice thing is that it doesn’t have a wall at the end of the bed like some.

You mention wanting a u-shaped dinette. Have you tried one? I’m not large but find them to be very tight. We prefer a traditional dinette.
2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Remember the rule, buy or select the trailer first then match a tow vehicle to it. Your kids will only get bigger and the amount of bikes and toys they will want to take will only get heavier. In your situation a 3/4 ton may be more than just desirable for the necessary payload.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RVdreaming2020
Explorer
Explorer
Camper8251 wrote:
Check starcraft,all the mfgs make a bunk house BUT I am about the sameMaybe this? KODIAK ULTRA-LITE 248BHSL

That one is pretty cool. I need to look more into the weight of it. I really would like a 3/4 ton truck I'm just not sure I can push my budget that far yet. I spent a few hours looking around and I haven't really seen anything yet in my price range.

Camper8251
Explorer
Explorer
Check starcraft,all the mfgs make a bunk house BUT I am about the same size as you 6'4.... MANY only have short queens and a lot dont tell you that on their website.....

Maybe this? KODIAK ULTRA-LITE 248BHSL
At you weight requirements you may have a hard time finding something not cramped.....

Get A 3/4 ton truck it will open up your options as others have stated in your other thread... You will be happy you did, and now is a good time to buy.....
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
2008 Arctic Fox 811 - SOLD
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970