cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a Winterized Trailer

zron73
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, looking to buy my first trailer. One I have my eye on is winterized. What are the drawbacks in purchasing a winterized trailer? My first thought is I won’t be able to test the water systems (pumps, pipes, etc.). Is there anything else I’m missing?
Ron
26 REPLIES 26

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
#1nobby wrote:
I bought a "winterized" trailer that had also been vandalized...propane tanks and battery...GONE.

I couldn't test anything. I did the best inspection possible and got it for $3,500 less than asking.

No big surprises, really, except the water pump was pooched and the cold water, steel braided water line to the kitchen tap was blown.

That cost me a complete tap set as that line was made of unobtainium.

Tap set $250
Pump $180
Battery set up $350
Propane tanks $80

I think I came out ok.

Sounds to me like your'best inspection' was not the best...lol:S

What?
What part of "$3500.00 off the asking price" didn't you understand?

LOL indeed.

zron73
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I appreciate all of the feedback!!!!

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
To check it out it would be worth de-winterizing; that is going ahead and test the plumbing system, then re-winterize. It's not a big deal. Maybe $15 worth of RV anti-freeze and follow the manual's directions. It usually just involves finding the water heater by-pass valve and a valve to allow sucking anti-freeze out of the jug using the water pump until pink runs out of all faucets, toilet, shower, etc.
Jayco-noslide

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
If its brand new and just going to sit all winter, wait till spring to buy.

Conversely, buy it now and leave it on the dealer's lot until spring. Sold units aren't subject to floor plan tax. Exactly what I did. Bought in the fall. left at the dealer until spring...

Thats fine as long as the warranty doesn't start until its actually delivered.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
Let the dealer store it for you for the winter and check it out in the spring. Final payment due upon acceptable PDI and testing systems.

Probably won't work because a tentatively sold unit is subject to floor plan taxes. Sold units are not.

Bought mine and left it sit at the dealer's over the winter.
Floor Plan Tax was just something the dealer made up to get you to pay for your RV before it was delivered.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Bought ours from Camping World Oklahoma City last December and it was winterized. They would not unwinterize but gave me a verbal that if anything was wrong come spring they would honor a fix. Well... we found the hot water heater was toast, and had to fight with them for 3 months before we got a replacement on their dime. Then I find out this fall they dismantled the rear gas furnace venting to fix the hot water heater. Had to fix that myself. I am still fighting since March to get a slide topper issue repaired also, hope to finally have the parts in November. What fun!!
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
Let the dealer store it for you for the winter and check it out in the spring. Final payment due upon acceptable PDI and testing systems.

Probably won't work because a tentatively sold unit is subject to floor plan taxes. Sold units are not.

Bought mine and left it sit at the dealer's over the winter.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:

Conversely, buy it now and leave it on the dealer's lot until spring. Sold units aren't subject to floor plan tax. Exactly what I did. Bought in the fall. left at the dealer until spring...
2015 Backpack SS1500

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
#1nobby wrote:
I bought a "winterized" trailer that had also been vandalized...propane tanks and battery...GONE.

I couldn't test anything. I did the best inspection possible and got it for $3,500 less than asking.

No big surprises, really, except the water pump was pooched and the cold water, steel braided water line to the kitchen tap was blown.

That cost me a complete tap set as that line was made of unobtainium.

Tap set $250
Pump $180
Battery set up $350
Propane tanks $80

I think I came out ok.

Sounds to me like your'best inspection' was not the best...lol:S
2015 Backpack SS1500

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
If this is the trailer you 100% want, they will de-winterize it for you to check all systems. Camping season in most areas is almost over. RV companies want to make sales before winter sets in.

If you are kicking tires, not a chance
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

jonmad
Explorer
Explorer
We bought ours in November. It was winterized. Come spring I could not get it to draw water from the fresh water tank. It would draw from antifreeze jug on bypass but not from water tank. Turned out that from the factory the suction side of the pump was hooked to the black tank flush instead of the fresh water tank. Dealer was great. Dropped the cover under the TT and did a very professional job of hooking the plumbing up correctly. Also gave us a gift certificate for our trouble of having to bring it back. So yes, you could have an issue come spring but not likely. Good luck with your decision.

Vinman02
Explorer
Explorer
If it’s a new unit I would try and give a deposit to hold it until next camping season starts. That way you get to not only test the water system out before buying but the warranty will also not start until you take delivery.
2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO Cummins
2016 Arctic Fox 25Y
Honda EU3000i

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
It takes so very little to winterize an RV, it should be moot to the seller if they really want to make the deal. Insist on them de-winterizing, and YOU watch them do it so you'll know how to do it next year yourself. Test the systems with fresh and pressurized water, via city water hook-up and via water in the fresh water tank and pump. Make sure water heater works on both gas and electric if it has both. YOU can purchase 3 gallons of RV Antifreeze from WallMart and have it ready. After you are satisfied with the water system, have them winterize the camper again, and you watch how how it's done so you can do it again next year too.

Water isn't going to freeze in the camper for the 30 minutes it takes to test all this out. AND you will learn how to winterize and unwinterize, saving yourself a lot of questions next year.

If THEY REALLY want the sale... they will do this. YOU BUY new antifreeze. 3 gallons is probably more than you'll need, but what you don't use, you can keep for next year too. If you buy the new antifreeze, they have NO excuse for not doing this.

IF THEY REFUSE ... run! There is something wrong with the camper they are hiding.