cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Calculating true payload capacity

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
So we all know that a trucks payload capacity isn't the only thing to consider when determining if a truck is within spec of what you plan on towing but it does have importance. So this got me wondering about when does a manufacturer determine what the payload capacity is and are all trucks put on a scale and weighed when they come off the assembly line and then the sticker gets placed on the door jamb after subtracting that number from the GVWR or does one truck get weighed and that payload number goes on stickers of all like vehicles being made? What about if there are factory installed options like a sprayed in bed liner for instance or factory supplied floor mats or maybe you order a bigger alternator or whatever? Does that make that number incorrect or is weighing it the last thing that gets done? Obviously anything a dealer installs lowers the payload number on any sticker and the only true way of knowing is to weigh the truck on a certified scale and subtract that amount from the GVWR. People state in the forums all the time about how the payload is on the sticker on the door jamb and you can't use the brochure advertised number. Well, I don't think you can use that sticker number either. Add a bed liner, tonneau cover, undercoating, running boards, floor mats, hitch and any number of other things and the real number is quite a bit different from what the sticker says. Now try to explain all this and the importance of RAWR and GCWR and tire load ratings etc. to a sales person. Suddenly you realize they have no idea what they're talking about, just like RV sales people! They just want to make a sale.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
5 REPLIES 5

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd be willing to bet the sticker is more accurate than taking it to the scales, as it rolls off the end of the line. (This presumes any assumptions like fuel and driver weight are consistent with manufacturer's assumptions).

Once the dealer starts adding things...they won't change the sticker.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Now try to explain all this and the importance of RAWR and GCWR and tire load ratings etc. to a sales person. Suddenly you realize they have no idea what they're talking about, just like RV sales people! They just want to make a sale.

Pretty typical of regular vehicle sales folks.
I've put several trucks in commercial service and always deal with a dealer ships commercial sales person(s). The ones I've delt with know if the customer is going to use the truck to pull a 15k or 25k GN trailer then the truck has to have enough rawr/tire load capacity to carry hitch loads safely/legally....and enough engine to do the job and the right drive train to last.

That payload sticker is a GVWR based payload number. Most new folks to the trailering world may use that number to figure a weight for a truck camper or a GN/5th wheel hitch load which may overload the trucks RAWR (the lessor of a wheel/tire/rear spring pack/axle assy).
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
In the case of Ford there are published spec sheets listing the weight of every option, I suspect the others have it also
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

blt2ski
The door sticker payload number for every truck I've owned, asdumi g I get to a scale before adding post factory options, has been with in a scale unit wieght of that number. Ie 20 lbs.
Per a former GM empkiyee, his option list wieght figures had to be with in 10 lbs iirc if what it really was at the end when on a scale.
Now brochure wieghts.....those are stripped rigs, unless they point out how said rig pictured is optioned. Which might be, usually less than bare max weight.
My C2509 in sig is within 60 lbs iirc of base brochure wieghts. I do have an auto vs stick, hitch, trim rings and cloth vs vinyl seat. It wieghs around 4800 lbs. It normally sits at around 5300 with a steel rack, mesh sides, Line-X Berliner and other after market gear in cab, ie fire extinguisher, first aid kit etc.
That payload figure is using manufactured warranty gross wieght figure. Not legal payload figure. Going with what is legal per an leo/cveo......that gets really fun to figure out. Other than my legal max payload for C2500 is 600 lbs less than warranty figure, as my paid for tonnage is 8000 lbs. Not the next higher I can buy of 10,000 lbs. I would be legal to that number. 1409 lbs more than door sticker too.
More than one way to figure out payload at the end of the day.

Msrty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I guarantee every item including the air in the tires on each and every vehicle is known and calculated on the build sheet.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu