cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camper Battery doesnt charge while going down the road

desertratt1
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious why my house battery would not charge while driving. I have 2001 Dodge Cummins. Anyone know anything about this and is there a way to have it charging. I just assumed it would charge thru the 7 pin. Also we had check light on our frig i ordered a new dinosaur board put it in didnt change a thing. Would only give check light while driving down the road we constantly have to recent frig would be fine than do it again.

Appreciate any input.

Thanks
36 REPLIES 36

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
It may be best to add a DC to DC charger.

I second that !

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
srschang wrote:
You're not going to get much charging through the factory 7 pin plug. The wire from the alternator to the 7 pin plug is too small.

Right -- need a dedicated high capacity wire from an engine charge point to the camper battery(s), protected with fuses, and solenoid (or equiv) activated.
My simple circuit .
Cal

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
You're not going to get much charging through the factory 7 pin plug. The wire from the alternator to the 7 pin plug is too small.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
1. Have you Confirmed it's not charging at all? (IE Have you checked that you have 12V at the trailer plug?) Dodges don't need an extra fuse.
2. Confirm that current is getting to the battery?

-There is a high likelihood that it IS charging, but your vehicle 12V hot pin is not capable of carrying high amps.
- When your battery gets low, the fridge shuts off, whether on LP or DC.
How quickly depends on which mode you're running. LP only draws a few amps, DC mode = maybe 4hours out of 1 fully charged typ 12V battery, tops.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
It may be best to add a dc to DC charger.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

desertratt1
Explorer
Explorer
ok i had no clue about that i will take a look.

thank you

Can't offer about your Dodge, but on my GM I had to put a fuse in to a spot where there was a blank filler pin in order to get +12V at my 7 pin.

Perhaps yours has the same thing. Mines a 2007
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com