cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camper title and registration.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my used Lance camper back in July 2019.

I spent about one month fixing things that needed fixing and replacing a lot of things to just make it a lot nicer.

Aug 22nd I went to the DMV and turned in the paperwork required to apply for a title and to register the camper.

The title application was three pages long plus they wanted pictures from all four sides, two of the interior plus I needed to have a LEO verify the vin # and sign one of the forms.

I was told they had to send it to Salt Lake City to the main office and as soon as they issued me a title I could register the camper. They told me 2-3 weeks to get the title.

About forty five days later I was told that I needed to file a complaint with the DMV Enforcement division against the dealer I purchased it from for not providing me with a title. :M

So I called the DMV and asked how could the dealer have supplied me with a title when they never had one and the previous owner never had one because Lance never issued the original owner a title campers just started getting titled in 2015. There never has been a title and that's why I applied for one. :h

To shorten the story after multiple phone conversations with the DMV and the investigator, who was on my side the title finally arrived yesterday. It only took them 147 days to get me my title.

So finally, today I went to the local DMV and paid my $10 annual registration fee to register my camper and get my 2020 camper registration and sticker.

So this little 3" X 3" sticker is what goes on the back of my camper for proof of registration and not a license plate.

I am now a happy camper. :B

Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.
23 REPLIES 23

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
This has to be a first for Ontario Canada. Although my TC has a 17 digit V.I.N., when I went to our Registration Office, they told me it was not necessary to register a TC in Ontario, therefore no fees and no taxes payable on the transaction. Now for us ... that is a first!
2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs

stumper92
Explorer
Explorer
In my state they wouldn't even know where to begin with titling a truck camper. All I received from the dealer was a bill of sale. We pay no registration fees or property taxes on a truck camper. It is simply considered to be cargo.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Just a sticker for mine and the plate stays on the truck.
Kenny

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my camper in Montana where know title is required...All I had was the bill of sale to take to the Idaho dmv...They did a Vin check right outside the building and issued a title for the first time for this truck camper..

In Idaho truck campers never had to have a title prior to 2009 then after everything had to be titled..The prior to 2009 truck campers were grandfathered in not needing a title until you sell it then the new owner has to title it..They just want there sales tax which Montana doesn't do...

No plates,just an RV sticker..Truck plates go on the rear of the truck camper if the camper hangs over covering the plates..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

specta
Explorer
Explorer
ryoung wrote:

Had I not had the original certificate I would have had to go through the same fiasco that you did.

ryoung

We need a like button.

I live in Utah and the camper was originally sold in Texas.

When the ran the serial number nothing came up so it never had been titled or licensed.

I got my title so now I'm happy. :B

I just feel sorry for the next guy.
Kenny

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
As I understand it, a manufacturers Certificate of Origin is a document used to obtain the first title for a TC. Manufacturers of TC's do not assign a VIN. Instead they assign a unique serial number and attach it to the unit. This number is included on the certificate of origin that is given to the selling dealer.

If the dealer sells it to someone who lives in a state that requires a title, (there are only 8 states), the dealer will use the certificate of origin to apply for the title.

If a buyer lives in a state that does not require a title, the dealer will (should) pass the certificate of origin on to the buyer, reminding him that is should be kept as proof of purchase. This can then be substituted as a title if later sold.

As an example in 2004 I bought, a TC when I lived in Indiana, which does not require titling or registration. Ten years later I took the camper to Oregon and put it on consignment with a dealer.
Luckily I had kept the original Certificate of Origin as it was accepted by the dealer as proof of ownership just like a title.

Had I not had the original certificate I would have had to go through the same fiasco that you did.

ryoung
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

specta
Explorer
Explorer
ryoung wrote:
Did you buy the camper from a private seller? I'm curious as to why the seller could not supply you with a title or a Certificate of Origin?

ryoung

I bought it from a dealer. I have no idea how many times its changed hands.

The selling dealer nor the DMV ever mentioned a certificate or origin.

This thread is the first time I have ever heard of one.
Kenny

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
Did you buy the camper from a private seller? I'm curious as to why the seller could not supply you with a title or a Certificate of Origin?

ryoung
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

specta
Explorer
Explorer
srschang wrote:
What's the advantage of having your truck camper titled? Or is it just another revenue stream for the state? If that's it, I'm amazed New York hasn't required it yet.

I like having proof of ownership. Its not required and there was no cost involved in getting one.
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
S Davis wrote:
Washington will not do anything without a MSO, I just bought a new truck in Idaho and waited for my paperwork to arrive. After three weeks I went down to DMV to get the registration done and they said no paperand had arrived, I called the dealer and was informed that UPS had a delivery exception.
The UPS truck had crashed the trailer burned and the paperwork had been destroyed, it took them two months to figure out how to get a replacement MSO from the manufacturer. I had a temporary in the window for three months before I got my plates.

That sounds like a nightmare.

What are the odds of that UPS truck crashing and burning up?
Kenny

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
srschang wrote:
What's the advantage of having your truck camper titled? Or is it just another revenue stream for the state? If that's it, I'm amazed New York hasn't required it yet.

That is only because there are so few in NYS that the State cannot make enough money to bother with.

srschang
Nomad
Nomad

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Washington will not do anything without a MSO, I just bought a new truck in Idaho and waited for my paperwork to arrive. After three weeks I went down to DMV to get the registration done and they said no paperand had arrived, I called the dealer and was informed that UPS had a delivery exception.
The UPS truck had crashed the trailer burned and the paperwork had been destroyed, it took them two months to figure out how to get a replacement MSO from the manufacturer. I had a temporary in the window for three months before I got my plates.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Reminds me the procedure I had in CA for getting CDL while using pickup for towing heavy trailer.
Even such CDL is clearly listed in books, took me 4 months of calling CHP headquarters till they found me DMV office in different county who would perform behind the wheel exam.
Than they put endorsement on my CDL that no officer could understand.