cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campsite Squatters

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
Have any of you noticed people leaving their trailers in great campsites on BLM and USFS land during the week and then showing up on the weekends to camp?
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel
121 REPLIES 121

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:

You should be so proud. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I am. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
when thousand trails and outdoor world resorts were separate companies People would own both memberships. $500 membership got you 2 weeks in system with 1 week out of the system.

So you would have friends who are in outdoor world site for 2 weeks while your in TTN site.
When its time to switch you send the wives ahead in the toads to hold site. When your friends wife shows up, you pull out in you RV and head to other campground and she pulls into site to hold it until XO shows up with the RV.

You can full time your whole Winter in Florida for the price of 2 memberships. If you have enough of you doing this you could have other switching every other week and you could spend 1/2 the time with all your friends. Each membership ran $500 year so if you stay in FLA for 9 months it comes to $3.75 per day including electric.

Than there was the couples that were not married, and each had Thousand trail memberships. you could use your membership in a campground for 2 weeks, than the XO could use here membership for 2 weeks, than back and forth, without even moving.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
specta wrote:

You should be so proud. ๐Ÿ˜‰

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kenny

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
ticki2 wrote:
You continue to compare Apple's and oranges . I could explain it further but I think your mind is made up . Fyi , I was a licensed septic designer and installer for almost 50 years . We are also way off topic at this point .

You are the one that brought up septic systems even though you knew the comparison was invalid.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Geewizard wrote:
specta wrote:

I'll dig a hole at least 12" deep and slowly drain my gray water into it and fill the hole back in when I'm done.

No one will ever know I was there.

That's the way to do it!

Way to go
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:

Of course, perc tests have to happen before a septic system is approved. Are you saying youโ€™d do a perc test before you dumped your grey water out camping? Maybe, but probably not. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Also, if you know how septic systems work, not all that goes in is treated the same way, you still have to have them pumped out. The liquids donโ€™t go on top of the ground. Are you saying youโ€™d go back and pump out what you left? Maybe, but probably not. ๐Ÿ˜‰

You continue to compare Apple's and oranges . I could explain it further but I think your mind is made up . Fyi , I was a licensed septic designer and installer for almost 50 years . We are also way off topic at this point .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:

I'll dig a hole at least 12" deep and slowly drain my gray water into it and fill the hole back in when I'm done.

That's the way to do it!
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
jimh425 wrote:
This article is pretty comprehensive on why not to dump grey water including where it is specifically illegal including Montana.

https://carcampingtips.com/is-it-okay-to-dump-grey-water-on-the-ground/

That has to be one of the most painful and badly written 'article's' I've read. They could have shaved it to 100 words and come up with the same 'possibly a chance that it could have an effect'.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
ticki2 wrote:
Think of all the rural subdivisions where there are a 1000 homes on as many acres , all with on lot septic systems . A conservative design criterion is 100 gals/person/day . That includes toilet , dishwasher , bathing , laundry and consumption . Now compare that to 30 gals of grey water on a 100 or more acres in the wild . Also , no one suggested dumping anything on the ground in an established campground .

Of course, perc tests have to happen before a septic system is approved. Are you saying youโ€™d do a perc test before you dumped your grey water out camping? Maybe, but probably not. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Also, if you know how septic systems work, not all that goes in is treated the same way, you still have to have them pumped out. The liquids donโ€™t go on top of the ground. Are you saying youโ€™d go back and pump out what you left? Maybe, but probably not. ๐Ÿ˜‰

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:

I thought you were for dumping any where. Whatโ€™s the issue? ๐Ÿ˜‰

You are the only one who has mentioned that , typical internet exaggeration to support a point of view . Think of all the rural subdivisions where there are a 1000 homes on as many acres , all with on lot septic systems . A conservative design criterion is 100 gals/person/day . That includes toilet , dishwasher , bathing , laundry and consumption . Now compare that to 30 gals of grey water on a 100 or more acres in the wild . Also , no one suggested dumping anything on the ground in an established campground .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:

I got a chuckle out of this. Thanks for the morning smile Jim. ๐Ÿ™‚

I've drained my gray water from my camper once and I have no doubt that I'll do it again. Especially on extended boondocking trips.

I'm headed out Thursday and I'll be taking 70 gallons of fresh water with me. I doubt that my 22 gallon FW tank will hold all of it.

Its just me in the camper and the 26 gallon black tank has always been plenty even as full of **** that I am. :B

I'll be spending the days exploring old ghost towns on my ATV with 4 other friends, its dry and dust here so I'll be taking a shower every night. Yes, Navy showers to conserve water. I have no doubt my 22 gallon gray tank is going to fill up.

This was my first RV, a 1969 Excel TT. It didn't even have a gray tank so every single drop of gray water went into a hole.

I bought it back in 2002 and sold it in about 2010.

What are outside showers for?
Maybe I should wash my dirty dishes outside in a pan and toss the water into the bushes?

I'm usually only camping for a few nights at a time so overfilling my gray tank isn't an issue. But on extended trips I really don't have any other choice.

Too bad its not a perfect world.
Kenny

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
specta wrote:
I saw a guy with a TC dumping his black tank into a cattle guard so because you own a TC you must do it too.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
jaycocreek wrote:

Because everyone with an ATV tears chit up
LOL

I agree with this statement.

bumpy

I love it...Isn't the internet great..

Lance 9.6