cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Captains chairs

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
How many here remember Ford offering Captain's chairs w/ dual armrests for their Econoline vans and pick ups? We had a '88 F250 Supercab w/ them and we thought they were great and at least for us, positioned our hands in a very comfy way. So on way home from work, I got to thinking of this as now we have the front bucket seats w/ center console on our 350 and find that it really needs some extra something to go on top of the door armrests and center console to place elbows on and again position hands on steering wheel w/o spreading arms/elbows out widely. Hope I explained this right. This all being said, anyone know of any aftermarket items that would work to achieve the same effect as the "old" twin armrests? Boy am I dating myself!!!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
8 REPLIES 8

Joppy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1995 Ford XL that has them.
1995,F350,DRW,Diesel,Banks Power Pack,exhaust brake,smart loc. Gauges, Hayden tranny cooler
1995 Alfa Gold

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
I was two and a half in 1888.

WOW you are OLD LOL

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I was two and a half in 1888.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
I remember that.

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
I know people do things every day that aren’t supposed to be done with their vehicles (get more than groceries with a Suburban with a 3.08 axle, put 265 or even 285 tires on wheels designed for a max of 245, etc).

However, I would think about all of the safety features your vehicle has and think for just a moment if you want to add these aftermarket items. With all of the airbags (your vehicle may not have them, but some do have them between the front seats) occupant sensors, intrusion sensors, etc) adding something like this could affect the performance of your safety features or event prevent them from doing the proper job.

I only bring this up because I still too often see people riding with their feet up on the passenger side of the instrument panel. They are either oblivious to what a deploying airbag will do to their feet/legs or they don’t mind taking that risk if they were to be in an accident.

And yes, I remember the day when there was an armrest on each side of the seat. Then on some vehicles they went to only on one side and have now gotten rid of both sides. Cost was probably the main driving factor, but I am sure the addition of airbags integrated into the seats drove the removal as you can’t have an armrest moving because of the deploying airbag.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
ACZL wrote:
How many here remember Ford offering Captain's chairs w/ dual armrests for their Econoline vans and pick ups? Boy am I dating myself!!!

Nope...looks like no one on this forum, is old enough to remember, or possibly so old, can't remember yesterday??

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, your all heart. LOL 🙂

I like the 2 links above and will show the DW .
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
ACZL wrote:
How many here remember Ford offering Captain's chairs w/ dual armrests for their Econoline vans and pick ups? Boy am I dating myself!!!

Nope...looks like no one on this forum, is old enough to remember, or possibly so old, can't remember yesterday??

Jerry

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about something like This

Or something like This one

There seems to be a few styles.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C