cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carbon Monoxide and Propane Gas Alarms

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
Well its that time - another five years and $120 bones to replace both the 12V sealed Carbon Monoxide and Propane Alarms.

Has anyone just gone with removable battery alarms (a third the price) vs the 12V Alarms that are installed on these campers? I'd rather replace AA batteries vs entire module changes every 5 years at $120? What am I missing here? If you check the operation (Press the Test Button) before every use and replace the disposable batteries on a frequent calendar basis I'm thinking I've done about as much as I can to ensure propane gas and carbon monoxide alert and safety inside the camper.

What have you all done? Buhler.....Buhler
2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.
11 REPLIES 11

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I think there is safety code that require those sensors to be hardwired in RV.
Just like for years new houses can't have battery-operated smoke detectors and even those hardwired in some jurisdictions have to be interconnected.
One more time- the freestanding CO detector I bought has 10 years battery. Once the battery dies- it goes to garbage. I tell you exactly in about 8 years how it works.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
News Flash: whether the CO/propane alarms are 12 volt hard wired or AA/9 volt battery units, you still have to replace them every 5-7 years because what dies is the detector, not the battery.

But I hear ya, the battery units are cheaper. RV manufacturers put in the more expensive units in spite* of the cost for two reasons: (1) they are more reliable, and (2) because they are more reliable, they are mandated by law. Not that the latter applies to YOU when you go to replace them.

*You know they use every trick in the book to make the RV the cheapest way possible, right?

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I replaced our no longer made CCI lp detector with an MTI Industries unit thats pretty close match (mounts in cut wall):$47
amazon link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D32OK0

non replacable battery...5 year life span

Replaced old Atwood carbon monoxide alarm with a Kidde KN-COPP-B-LPN unit with digital display, replaceable batteries: about $20.
A lot smaller than the Atwood but covered screw holes
Amazon link...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y6V5CI

Our smoke alarm failed and here in CA can no longer buy simple units with replaceable battery, so had one shipped to friend out of state...
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Be sure to mark the install date on the back of the detector.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like having my propane sensor wired in. I bought mine on Amazon for about $50. According to the link, itโ€™s $49.60 now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AMBHG4/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_tau_5KR2EbECWSA6E

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
As of today you have probably a million options.
For propane, I bought USB-powered sensor per other member recommendation. I remember it being in $20 range and doing more than propane.
For CO I bought stand alone sensor, with 10 years batteries build-in and I use it at home or in RV depends where I spend my time. I keep it in cupholder in my TC and it went off once when my wife was frying bacon without turning hood fan on. It also shows temperature. AVAILABLE AT WALMART. You still might want cheap smoke detector regardless.
IMHO we should have CO2 and combustion gases detectors in our RV, but seems you can't buy them. About 25 years ago I could buy 1 who was cigarette lighter plug-in. When I can't vote for its efficiency, it had about 5 sensors on it and is MIA as of today.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
This is what have..Top is smoke alsrm and the bottom is the Carbon monoxide detector..

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
My class C came with a Carbon Monoxide alarm with a 9v battery, the propane alarm is wired, I replaced them both at different times, now i'll admit that at my age, my memory isn't what it was, but i know both of them together wasn't any where near what you're talking about.
I could go out and look it up, IF I felt like going out in this pouring rain. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just checked. The replacement unit I bought a couple of years ago currently costs $35. I have an additional battery powered CO detector that cost in the range of $15-20.

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
I hear you, I replaced both of mine last spring with direct 12v replacement units that pretty much matched the factory detectors.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my propane alarm a couple years ago, I thought it was around $50. My Carbon Monoxide detector has a ten year battery in it.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.