cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chalet TS116

stickyeye
Explorer
Explorer
Was just on a TC dealer sight looking at the Chalet TS116 and it has a msrp of almost 63k :o!! I love truck campers and all but at what point is it too much money to make sense. Between the truck (40-60k) and camper price you can get a fully equipped class c and have a 4wd kit done on it for about 12-15k and still be at or below the TC setup cost. I know TC have certain advantages over class c units but the same is true in the reverse. Plus for some if you where to finance, the class c may be eligible to interest tax deductions. Granted the Chalet model I listed is one of the most expensive out there but no greater equipped than most class c's. Just talking out loud :C

🙂
35 REPLIES 35

carmichael
Explorer
Explorer
Stickyeye asked for opinions if you look back at his post. Not sure why you are blasting trailgranny50 other than an ego issue. Their post certainly acknowledges that we all must make our own decisions. There are many of us that can afford almost anything we desire but many of us probably are in this situation because we have made wise decisions throughout life to achieve this. And, if you are in that spot it doesn't always make a lot of sense to spend more than necessary, especially if we can enjoy the trip no matter what RV we might be traveling in.

I agree with trailgranny50 yet we have been extremely blessed with finances. But, I feel being blessed is so that we might be a blessing to others. Therefore, I would choose to spend less for my own pleasure and be able to help someone less fortunate in some way, whether family or stranger. Fortunately for each and every one of us Rvers, the greatest thing about Rving, nature, a sky full of stars and new friendships are available to us all no matter what we may be traveling in.....

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
After thinking about this over night I decided that this was not needed so removed it.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe it's just me but after spending our entire lifetime paying out the nose for trucks that even yet continue to rise to unbelievable heights in price that actually had a job and went to work and helped us earn a living, blowing such a chunk of change that would buy a house isn't very palatable....to us. We're just regular working folks who have always been sole proprietors, raised a big family and just can't imagine having the amount of disposable income it takes to buy some if the set ups we see on this forum! I'm sure there are more folks on here that have the money to spend than those of us who don't but that doesn't mean we enjoy our old, used, cheapies any less. It all comes down to what one can afford, wants to afford, need to feel good, and you are comfortable with. For us it's real comforting having cash to travel with more places and a unit that didn't cost three lifetimes to buy. We all have our level of comfort. Personally I think it's obscene the prices placed on both trucks and campers, especially truck campers by the manufacturers and retailers. Guess as long as people will pay those prices they'll just keep getting more ridiculous.
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
stickyeye wrote:
Was just on a TC dealer sight looking at the Chalet TS116 and it has a msrp of almost 63k :o!!

I just did a search on the 'ole interweb and see new 2015's in the high 40's, and also quickly found a 2013 truck/camper combo in the 70's.

I know you want new, but if you're looking at swallowing $120k for truck and camper new, I myself would certainly entertain looking at 1-ish year old if was saving almost half.

Also worth noting - I have a Eagle Cap double slide, floor plan on their triple slide is pretty much identical to the Chalet you're looking at.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like it would be cheaper to have a 2nd truck for "other uses". Tow a jeep for off roading from the camp site.
I haul the RZR behind the camper for exploring, most of the places we go RZR can run on the paved roads too.
120 large for a camper/pickup that requires Urea too? Not for me. Getting out in the back woods with these new fangled diesels, just the place for a break down.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Roundtowner, Where was the water leak and what caused it? I looked at a chalet TS 116 and was impressed. Really like washer/dryer...

Roundtowner
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2012 Chalet Ts116 and I love it. I've also had some major issues. I've just completed a restoration of the bottom because of a water leak. But, I like the size, the layout, and the versatility of having a unit that I can leave behind and use the truck for other things. Before I purchased this Chalet, I had a 5th wheel, that I kept for over a year to make sure we liked the TC better. We looked at a lot of different MHs, both As and Cs. But again I like having a truck for other uses and thus we bought the Chalet because we thought it fit our needs better.
Now with my repairs done, I'm leaving Saturday and traveling out to Quartzite, Az and will enjoy driving my 4 wheel drive truck, even if the weather is bad. It's -4 with wind chills below 30 here today and I wish that I had left a week ago. It's my first time to Quartzite and I'm looking forward to discovering that area of the country. I'll also enjoy the milder weather.

Bedlam
Missed that on my phone without zooming in. So how much for a 4wd conversion on an E450 cut away? I'm guessing more than smaller axle E250 or E350.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

cigar_100
Explorer
Explorer
large chunck of change indeed, but if you commit to using your rig, its well worth it.

stickyeye
Explorer
Explorer
Sell price is 85k before haggling
🙂

Bedlam
I will guess that uses the standard rear RV extension off the vehicle frame limiting you to 5000 lbs or less towing. As stated earlier, even if you add 4wd, it will be longer and lower than a comparable truck and TC combination. At $131K, I figure 30% off if you can haggle and dealer is willing to play.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

stickyeye
Explorer
Explorer
Considering something like this with 4wd kit. I'm sure this would void the warranty, at least the power train.

Concord
🙂

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are some weight and price deductions to consider. On the forum, I'm seeing the use of a generator if required to be portable and not built in. The Onan 2.5 kw generator is @ $4,000 if ordered.
If this helps you can consider it this way. I'm guessing the average price per pound on campers is 'roughly" $9.00. Being in construction we're bound to unit pricing (ie. $ per sq. ft.). A lot are in this range and they don't ship them filled with rocks.
My wife and I left the 5th wheel scene because of our move being more remote. We couldn't get it home to load or clean and that killed the spontaneity of heading out at any given time. With 3 slides and a dry bath, generator, 150w solar panel, sat dish, it's still in the $9's.
I'll deflect questions about weight and price but I fit the profile. The Chalet looks to be a nice camper. Good luck-
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
We to faced that dilemma when we started looking at upgrading from our pop up. Besides what others mentioned about advantageous of Truck Campers I would note that the ability to separate the two unites allows:

- You have the use of a truck. We keep our camper on most of the time but once in a while we want to haul something and it sure is nice.
- easy service of either unit. The truck at truck places and the camper at RV dealers
- The ability to upgrade either unit separately or to switch to something else. For example, maybe down the road we will want to switch to a 5th wheel. Easy to do in our case.

Other things we might note:
- As others have noted, ground clearance is a big deal.
- Tank capacity. Many of the C's with the same length are pretty limited.
- Crew cab seating capacity. Yes, you can sit more people in the "body" of the C but safety is limited.

Your choice may be different but we spent amounts in your range to get our truck and camper and we couldn't be happier.

KansasKen
Explorer
Explorer
My highly customized Host Everest which cost in that range, doesn't require a tag thus there is no property tax or annual tag renewal fees to pay for a third vehicle. Plus I have my second vehicle available any time I need it. Particularly if I need the use of a pickup to haul stuff or when I want to take the boat to the lake for a day of fishing or boating with the grandkids. Not to mention, with higher clearance and 4x4 capability being able to access some places that the other RV's can't, and lastly just because I want to be different and can afford to do so.
2011 Host Everest Triple & F350 Crew DRW 4x4 Diesel (both loaded see profile)