Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chevrolet exits all ICE production by 2035

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy exits ICE engines

Hopefully the other manufacturers won't follow suit.

Being from Texas and starting to thaw out from our latest freeze of the century, I don't see how our current power grid can support all the new EV planned for in the future, but I don't recall anything ever being addressed on this subject.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation
164 REPLIES 164

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Green hydrogen will replace a lot of oil and gas applications.

The largest green hydrogen plant in North America announced producing 45 tons/day.

https://tech2.org/plug-power-to-build-north-americas-largest-green-hydrogen-production-plant-in-west...

Here is a giant mining truck powered by hydrogen:
https://im-mining.com/2020/09/17/anglo-americans-hydrogen-mining-truck-back-track-h1-2021-first-moti...

Hydrogen can certainly power a pickup pulling a trailer.

Europe will replace all diesel semi-trucks with batteries and hydrogen by 2040, just 19 years from now:

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Europes-Top-Truck-Makers-Vow-To-Stop-Diesel-Vehic...

Hydrogen is much more common around the world. Few companies in the US.
Plug Power, Chevron, 3M, GM, Baker Hughes out of 109+ companies.https://hydrogencouncil.com/en/newmemberannouncement2021-1/

200+ hydrogen projects worth $300 billion+ worldwide:
https://hydrogencouncil.com/en/hydrogen-deployment-accelerating-with-more-than-300-billion-in-projec...
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, this thread's "deja vu all over again".
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
EV's are not the issue
Fuel not consumed by ICE being utilized for electric generation is not the issue

TRANSMISSION of energy IS the MAIN Issue

That and NIMBY

Cant transmit power when youre not conected ! Lookin at you Texas

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/massive-power-failure-could-finally-cause-texas-to-connec...

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
wildtoad wrote:
I wonder how earthmovers, or other very large construction machines will be adapted to work on battery, how many hours will the operate and just as important how long will it take to recharge them, especially out in the middle of Nebraska. EVs are the future for personal transportation, but the need for ICE’s is here for a long time.

Electric construction equipment is being developed as we speak
Electric Construction equipment

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
RobWNY wrote:
Reisender wrote:
If power companies can't make and provide power at competitive prices people will just put up their own solar systems and make their own.JMHO

If I did that here in the Northeast, I would be without power 8 months of the year. Today and part of yesterday was the first time I've seen the sun in weeks!

Sure. But there are lots of places in the world where it works fine. Either way, if power companies get stupid about it they will lose LOTS of customers. Kinda hard to make your own gasoline. Pretty easy to make your own power.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
If power companies can't make and provide power at competitive prices people will just put up their own solar systems and make their own.JMHO

If I did that here in the Northeast, I would be without power 8 months of the year. Today and part of yesterday was the first time I've seen the sun in weeks!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Meh. That is 14 years away. In the last 10 years EV's have gone from having 120 kilometers of range to having 650 Kilometers of range. Average charge stop times have dropped from hours to 20 minutes. In 14 years they will have changed a lot more.

In 2035 no one is going to want a clunky, gutless, noisy, stinky, high maintenance gasser car or light truck. Anybody still making them will be catering to an ever smaller market.

If power companies can't make and provide power at competitive prices people will just put up their own solar systems and make their own. I'm willing to bet those who have recently suffered a major outage are already looking into it.

JMHO

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
Has anyone's life gone exactly as you imagined it would?
No, but it's gone somewhat as I imagined it. That doesn't mean people don't plan.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with looking into the future and whether a vehicles power plant will be electric or something else by 2035, is we are all assuming things will be like we anticipate them being. Has anyone's life gone exactly as you imagined it would? There's always twists, turns and abandoned hopes and dreams that get replaced by other hopes and dreams. Government administrations come and go, new technology happens at an unbelievable pace. All electric vehicles by 2035 might be abandoned for some new thing that's right around the corner. There could be another pandemic 100X worse than this one and half the worlds population could be wiped out for all we know. A lot can happen to society and planet Earth before 2035 gets here.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
I can't think of a more appropriate use for an electric vehicle than mail delivery.
x2

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
Chevy exits ICE engines

Hopefully the other manufacturers won't follow suit.

This doesn't mean that RV's and heavy duty tow vehicles will be electric, this is only for light-duty vehicles:

this marks the first time the largest Detroit automaker has set a hard target for completely phasing out gas and diesel engines for all light-duty vehicles, including pickups and SUVs.

As for your other comment:

Being from Texas and starting to thaw out from our latest freeze of the century, I don't see how our current power grid can support all the new EV planned for in the future, but I don't recall anything ever being addressed on this subject.

The problems in Texas had nothing to do with grid capacity. But if this is something that worries you, talk to your elected representatives and make sure they are engineering the grid for reliability and increased demand.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
301TBS wrote:
At one time we were told the V8 engine would be out of production soon.
Maybe sooner than you think.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
poorboy wrote:
that will give the post office ANOTHER reason the mail is slow, the battery died.

On average, the current LLV vehicles the USPS uses travels around 20 miles per day. Which is well within range of any EV, which excel at stop and go driving.

In rural areas I'm sure they travel much farther, my parent's mailbox is over a mile from the nearest neighbor... but their postman drives a Subaru, not a mail truck.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
So the Post Office just signed a 10 year contract for new vehicles and apparently most of them will be ICE. I can't think of a more appropriate use for an electric vehicle than mail delivery. I don't know what the breakdown of the vehicles ordered is but this order really surprises me, especially under the new administration.

It remains to be seen how many end up being electric since the platform supports both. DeJoy said only 10% of the fleet would be, but that's at odds with Biden's new electrification order

poorboy
Explorer
Explorer
that will give the post office ANOTHER reason the mail is slow, the battery died.
2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life