cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chicago to Cedar City, UT - route 70 or 80?

USMCTruckerE5
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to make a trip from Chicago to Cedar City, UT. Looking at the maps, can come across and stay on 70 through Denver or split off onto 80 and go north around through Salt Lake City-

Thoughts? Which is flatter? Mile diff only about 80 mile, time about 1 hour, but looking for thoughts on the drive.
Tow Veh- 2004 3/4 Suburban LT 8.1 w/ 3.73
'05 Yamaha SX230- Cobra, GPS, KeelGuard, PPF, Dual batt.
http://www.mariscalcrew.com/boat/
11 REPLIES 11

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
My experience on I 80 going west... semi's nose to tail going 80 MPH.
HTML

USMCTruckerE5
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks for the info!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Highest point on I-80 is between Cheyenne and Laramie WY, at ~9600 feet and going westbound the climb is barely noticeable, it's that gradual. There's a decline into Laramie for about 7 miles, but it is not difficult at all. This is the highest point on the entire length of I-80.

I-70 gives you 3 climbs. The first is a long climb out of Denver up and over Floyd Hill and an impressive decline into Idaho Springs area. The 2nd is the climb from Silver Plume to the Johnson-Eisenhower Tunnels which tops out at over 11,000 feet and then a long downhill into Silverthorne. And then there is the climb up and over Vail Pass which also tops out at over 11,000 feet. These are the highest points on the entire length of I-70.

For easiest crossing, I-80 wins. For stunning views and vistas, can't beat I-70.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
USMCTruckerE5 wrote:
Looking to make a trip from Chicago to Cedar City, UT. Looking at the maps, can come across and stay on 70 through Denver or split off onto 80 and go north around through Salt Lake City-

Thoughts? Which is flatter? Mile diff only about 80 mile, time about 1 hour, but looking for thoughts on the drive.

I-80 across WY to Park City, UT, then south to Heber City, Provo Canyon through Provo to join I-15. Phillips RV park in Evanston, WY, is an okay overnight, Cedar City the next day. Drive through Provo after 9 AM.

Happy Trails!
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
flattestroute.com is a good tool.
Puma 30RKSS

USMCTruckerE5
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all!

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I can't seem to find mine but Mountain Directory West may be helpful.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I80 is an easy drive. In fact a bit boring until you get into the mountains. I recall only one really long but not steep grade.

Just east of Salt Lake City. Off of I80 is Jordanelle State Park. A nice scenic park with boating & fishing. From there to Cedar City via I15 out of Salt Lake City is less than a dayโ€™s drive.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
First....I-26 from 80 down to 70 is a miserable, bumpy road.

Second...Check out a topographical map.
I-70 goes up and over. I-80 runs above the major peaks. This means the grades are steeper on 70. Whereas 80 tends to have longer, gradual climbs.

Once you hit Utah. 15 is a nice ride through the valley.

Either way.....watch the winds.

It snowed my last time...80 was closed and Denver got snow for graduation....yeah MAY.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Eisenhower tunnel out of Denver is 11,000' if that's a concern.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might want to try again on destination. As for flat, I 80 wins. Think Nebraska highway is in better shape.
If you prefer to take a different route coming and going, I avoid east bound Kansas.