cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CHMSL

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
In DOT-speak, that stands for Center High-Mounted Stop Light, ie the 3rd brake light. Has anyone added one to the back of their camper? As far as I know there are no laws requiring one, but the safety data says it's probably a good idea.
13 REPLIES 13

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have never been to Spokane so I haven't seen your trailer . I suppose others have added one also . Do you know of any manufacturer that has installed one . I don't know of the legality one way or the other .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
ticki2 wrote:
I have never seen a box truck or enclosed trailers with one . It might interfere with the 3 center marker lights .

I added this one to my enclosed trailer.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
It's not part of the normal 7 pin harness normally used for a TC. You have left and right stop and turns, but no stop by itself.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen new cab/chassis trucks with a new custom haulers bed/feed bed/work bed types with LED stop/turn at the normal location at the bottom/rear of the bed and another set at the top at each corner of the headache rack. Damz things were too bright.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
If people behind you can't see an 8'x 10' box on the back of your truck.....you've got bigger problems.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
The CHMSL fuse in some rigs powers the anti-lock system.

Driving Mercedes, I know they have double brake light switches and 3rd light is powered from the 2nd circuit, so when main switch fails, the center light will still work.
But that doesn't apply to campers. My Ford senses burned light bulbs on trailer, what in this case is camper. Can't say how sensitive it is, but at least I am getting notification that truck senses the plug in, or out. For that reason I keep old bulbs on camper tail as LED usually fool the system.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I guess that explains why they don't put them on at the factory. Thanks guys!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The CHMSL fuse in some rigs powers the anti-lock system.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Never seen one, you could be the first!
It would definitely put the "H" in CHMSL!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
My TC has double set of taillights.
So my concern would be rather blinding the guy behind with my stop lights, than having him not seeing the discotheque .

^^This.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
My TC has double set of taillights.
So my concern would be rather blinding the guy behind with my stop lights, than having him not seeing the discotheque .

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
I have never seen a box truck or enclosed trailers with one . It might interfere with the 3 center marker lights . Usually the brake lights on a camper or truck are higher than cars with 3rd brake light . Interesting
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
DOT probably gonna' go with the FMVSS 571 vehicle safety regs .

Check out FMVSS 571.108 S14.9.3.11.12.2 then just below in table 1-A and in next table 1-b and 1-c it talks about stop light locations.
2 Red....

On the rear, at the same height, symmetrically about the vertical centerline, as far apart as practicable....

Not less than 15 inches, nor more than 72 inches.

I didn't search too hard for a aux single center mounted brake light.

I would drop by your local state troop hdqtrs and ask that question to a certified size and weights officer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides