cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coachmen Freedom Express Travel Trailers

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Are these trailers good, okay, or to be run from?

I found a floor plan that I really like, a used 2018 204RD or a new 2021 20SE which is the same as the 204RD except it has some items stripped out in order to lower the price point.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch
18 REPLIES 18

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I noticed a little bit of rust under my TT after 1 year. I sanded the area down and repainted. I inspect my frame at least twice a year and sand/repaint any spots of rust that I find. I crawl under the entire TT looking for problem areas. So far, the rust that I have found has been very small spots.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer

It's actually not. I personally know two people with lippert frames that had serious rust issues, and both also were missing welds. One is Coachman, the other Grand Design. The Grand Design trailer was considered by a different dealer, scrap material. Both were repaired by Lippert.

In one year? We build farm trailer frames from scrap, never paint them and they last longer than that! That's insane that it's even possible to rust through in a year without exposure to some caustic substance. I'm amazed!
1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71
2021 Coachmen Apex 253RLS

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
lwbfl wrote:
psdx wrote:
lwbfl wrote:
psdx wrote:
I had a 2017 279RLDS Liberty Edition for 2 years. The frame rusted enough after one year so that when I prepped it for restoration, there were a number of areas where thin layers of metal peeled away. That was year one. Six months later the springs on the slide side failed and the tires were rubbing on the underside of the wheel well when traveling. Forest River acted real interested, but they never did anything. The gutter on the curb side had a persistent leak, and I had two screws pop up on the roof. The rest of it was great, but that was enough to make me vote with my feet. I traded it out immediately after I replaced the springs.

Was the frame exposed to salt (coast or snow areas)?

Canโ€™t say about delivery from the factory, but not while I owned it.

How very odd then!

It's actually not. I personally know two people with lippert frames that had serious rust issues, and both also were missing welds. One is Coachman, the other Grand Design. The Grand Design trailer was considered by a different dealer, scrap material. Both were repaired by Lippert.

gmbetz
Explorer
Explorer
We just sold a 2018 Freedom Express 24RKS. It for three years. In that time traveled within a triangle out of KY to Wisconsin to Atlanta to New Mexico. No problems. Would have bought another Freedom Express but they did not have the right floorplan. 30 amps so just about every time we put something in the microwave with the TV, AC, toaster and or electric griddle going it threw a breaker.

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer
psdx wrote:
lwbfl wrote:
psdx wrote:
I had a 2017 279RLDS Liberty Edition for 2 years. The frame rusted enough after one year so that when I prepped it for restoration, there were a number of areas where thin layers of metal peeled away. That was year one. Six months later the springs on the slide side failed and the tires were rubbing on the underside of the wheel well when traveling. Forest River acted real interested, but they never did anything. The gutter on the curb side had a persistent leak, and I had two screws pop up on the roof. The rest of it was great, but that was enough to make me vote with my feet. I traded it out immediately after I replaced the springs.

How very odd then!
1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71

psdx
Explorer
Explorer
lwbfl wrote:
psdx wrote:

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer
psdx wrote:

1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71

psdx
Explorer
Explorer

Draggo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 279RLDS and have been very happy with it. We were looking at several trailers when we bought it and kept coming back to it because of the fit and finish on it. Any issues I've had have been minor and similar to any other brand of trailer. When the time comes I would definitely buy another FE if it fit what we were looking for.
Mike & Company
2021 GMC Sierra SLE (6.6L V-8, 3.73 rear gear)
2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 279RLDS
Reese W/D & HP DC

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
What are the irritating items?

philh wrote:
It's an Elkhart built trailer. I have a 2018 FE. Haven't run into any major issues, but several irritating items requiring repair.

Biggest one criticism I have, china bomb tires, and I just put GY Endurance on mine... only to be sold this summer/fall
Erroll, Mary
Equal-i-zer Hitch

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's an Elkhart built trailer. I have a 2018 FE. Haven't run into any major issues, but several irritating items requiring repair.

Biggest one criticism I have, china bomb tires, and I just put GY Endurance on mine... only to be sold this summer/fall

BC4277
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2017 had Castle Rocks (China Bombs), but they were 75mph rated. We put over 10,000 miles on them without any problems. This included our trip to Fairbanks, AK.
2017 Freedom Express 192RBS
Fastway E2 Trunion Hitch
2003 Tundra 4.7

Where ever I am,
is where I'm supposed to be

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I guess that will just be another negotiating point. I want GY Endurance tires. At least Coachmen puts D rated tired on their Freedom Express trailers, rather than C rated ones.
Erroll, Mary
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Director_Marc
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
What tires is Coachmen putting on its trailers now? Goodyear Endurance?

lwbfl wrote:
I researched all the manufactures and decided on a Coachmen because of the aluminum framing, Azdel and construction methods. I then looked at the different models until I found one that met my weight, length and price requirements. Everyone I know that owns a Coachmen is satisfied with the quality of the construction. Of course there are issues with various other things but at least I'll be able to replace those things. Its hard to replace the actual structure!

Castle Rock