cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold weather, water, what to do..

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're out camping at a KOA. It's supposed to be 25-26 degrees in the morning. The campground sent out a text saying disconnect the hose and leave their water bib dripping or, let the water drip in the RV. My plan is to disconnect the hose and let their faucet drip and use the on-board tank for water till things warm back up. My question is, if I let my faucet drip will it not fill up the grey tank and then over-fill it? I'd prefer to leave the hose connected and let my faucet drip. But, having a crisis in the wee hours does not appeal to me whatsoever.
17 REPLIES 17

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Disconnect the water hose. Leave it off. If it’s not a frost free spigot, not your problem. Makes no sense to leave the hydrant dripping.
It could be his problem.
If the spigot at his site is damaged due to his not following the CG directions... Then at the very least he may have to deal with the result for the rest of his stay.
Likely be a small flood, followed by no water at that site.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
If the CG wants you to let their faucets drip. Then let them drip otherwise their hose bibs may freeze and break, which will eventually cause campers grief.
I fully agree. Just saying if the campground has this recommendation what are we even talking about.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
NO Hoses laying about...connected or disconnected.
My strategy also. When I actually am in an RV park I dump, close everything and disconnect.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use my fresh water tank/pump exclusively Hot/Warm/Cold Temps
Fill tank...stow hose
Repeat as needed

Same with sewer hose
Connect ---dump...stow
Repeat as needed

NO Hoses laying about...connected or disconnected.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I can imagine the icy watery mess the next day if everyone drips the CG spigots. I'd make sure you have plenty of water on board in case there's problems with the system. Also disconnect your sewer hose and drain it. In cold weather I'd be using my tank and pump exclusively.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Hint disconnecting the hose and letting it lay on the ground will still freeze the hose I bring mine in an put it in the shower
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Assuming you are on a sewer site, drain the waste tanks and leave them open for the night. Unless you use a lot of water, no real concerns with an ice dam (I'm assuming a short term over night cold snap followed by above freezing daytime temps. For long term freezing weather, ice dams are a concern.)

A far as the freshwater side, just disconnect and work off the pump. Do use the furnace rather than a space heater, as most are set up to dump a little heat into the underbelly slowing or stopping freezing of the tanks.

As far as the spigot, do what they asked...if it fails, it's the campgrounds problem if you did what they recommended.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
This thread is full of erroneous advice. Lots of it from people in warm weather climates that really don't understand the scenario. Or have not regularly experienced cold weather.
If the CG wants you to let their faucets drip. Then let them drip otherwise their hose bibs may freeze and break, which will eventually cause campers grief.
Disconnect from the CG hose bib and use water from the RV fresh tank. Be sure to store RV hose inside where it won't freeze vs. leaving it outside to freeze.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just disconnected the hose and let their bibb drip. We used the pressure demand pump and no problems at all. By 10am things were thawing out. What I usually do is just not pay attention to the weather forecast and wake up at 4am to no water.

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
I lived in my 3 season trailer here in southeast Va for 5 years. All you have to do is disconnect the fresh water hose when temps will be below freezing and use the onboard fresh water tank and pump. Leave the campground faucet dripping since they told you to, but be careful not to bust your butox on the ice when reconnecting the water hose.

If you do stay connected, open your grey water valve and leave the stinky slinky connected. The small trickle isn't going to freeze solid in the hose before warmer temps in the morning.

X's 2

Guy

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in my 3 season trailer here in southeast Va for 5 years. All you have to do is disconnect the fresh water hose when temps will be below freezing and use the onboard fresh water tank and pump. Leave the campground faucet dripping since they told you to, but be careful not to bust your butox on the ice when reconnecting the water hose.

If you do stay connected, open your grey water valve and leave the stinky slinky connected. The small trickle isn't going to freeze solid in the hose before warmer temps in the morning.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Think about it logically.
Put some water in your tank if you want water without hooking up in the morning. Disconnect the water hose. Leave it off. If it’s not a frost free spigot, not your problem. Makes no sense to leave the hydrant dripping.
Leave your gray valve closed. Presuming it’s hooked up.
Don’t worry unless it’s not getting above freezing tomorrow.
Merry Christmas.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We've done this many times. I disconnect the hose and blow the water out of it. Then I switch over to onboard water until the park's faucet supplies water again. I have about 160 gallons so water isn't an issue. We have electric heaters for the trailer but I still use the propane heater to keep the tanks and water lines from freezing.

FYI there are heated water lines on the market that make all of the above moot.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II