cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comments on GM’s latest truck pictures

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Today’s WSJ has a picture of a radical change to the bed of the Chevy newest truck models. Looks like tool storage all along the inside almost to the tailgate. TC mfg are going to have to make radical changes to their designs, plus resale is going to be hurt for existing campers. COMMENTS?
10 REPLIES 10

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
MORSNOW wrote:
The 2019's pictured are 1500 series.

Yes, I agree, and expect the 2500HD has in the past and will in the future look quite a bit different than the 1500 GM products.

GM for a while build a 2500 series, with the 1500 body and a beefed up frame, brakes, and suspension. It looked just like a 1500, but carried more weight - we owned a 2003 and put 214,000 miles on it carrying TC ... until we bought 2500HD we now own. Very different.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
The 2019's pictured are 1500 series.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The video shows the boxes still leaving full space between the wheel wells, what should be about 52" and they end several inches before tailgate, so even if you have the camper wider at the end, it should fit or in worse case scenario you add couple inches spacer in front.
Don't looks like those boxes are usable with camper, unless for back-up supplies.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Plastic, not part of the bed. Video at 2018 Detroit Auto Show preview shows in a bit of detail. Kinda hard to comment on something most haven't seen...
https://youtu.be/AhIh8lLYzLo?t=69
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Like Rambox, won’t work with all campers.
Pretty certain it will be an option. Too many trucks used as trucks, not soccer mobiles that need all their bed.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

realter
Explorer
Explorer
An article and picture in the 2nd section of today’s Wall Street Journal. I was reading the print version. The picture shows storage box all around the wheel in the bed, extending almost to the tailgate. I’m thinking that would interfere with the bottom of my shower. It appears the width between the wheel would still be at least 48” and these storage boxes don’t extend above the bed rails.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I'm more interested in the specifications for the 2019s, not the sheet metal.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our camper is 4x8 on the bottom as I suspect many basement models are. Seems like the surest way to guarantee it should fit in any pickup box (except for maybe sidewall height, which can be easily corrected).

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Will all Chevy trucks have the tool storage or is it an option?

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Can you link to the pictures you are talking about?
I went and googled the 2019 Silverado, and what I saw looked "normal" to me. Actually I was pleased to see that the rounded corner at the lower edge that caused a lot of issues with campers seems to be gone.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow