cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comments people make

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Our A Liner gets some attention from other campers. Usually I offer to let them look inside & they’re surprised how much room we actually have - but I keep it minimal so it looks neater that way.
Often they say “how do you like that LITTLE camper” ? I’m tempted to say “how do you like your HUGE camper” ?
One guy asked if it LEAKS. He caught me off guard with that one but if someone asks that again, I’m going to say “No, does yours” ?
17 REPLIES 17

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Yes, a Daimler product, built in France. Too bad they killed them in the US. Much like the A-liner, they serve a purpose in the marketplace.

They didn't kill them...they just never sold very well. They are still available and being updated for Europe.

As you say, they serve a purpose but that purpose largely doesn't exist in the USA. Their primary purpose is to be able to park in a tiny spot.

Following the 2019 model run, they totally exited the US market.

Yes...because they didn't sell.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Yes, a Daimler product, built in France. Too bad they killed them in the US. Much like the A-liner, they serve a purpose in the marketplace.

They didn't kill them...they just never sold very well. They are still available and being updated for Europe.

As you say, they serve a purpose but that purpose largely doesn't exist in the USA. Their primary purpose is to be able to park in a tiny spot.

Following the 2019 model run, they totally exited the US market.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
Who cares what anyone else says about anything?
It's my world and as long as I am happy the rest don't matter!

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
I was asked by a friend recently if I ever considered going to a bigger trailer or a fifth wheel. I said no because we can fit just about anywhere, have enough room for the two of us and it can run through gas stations with no issues. At under 27 feet tip to tip it is fine. After a moment of silence he said that it might be worth giving up some room (his trailer is 35') to fit into the COE camps that he likes without having to go crazy trying to get into spots. Bigger is not always better.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
I hear from popup and folding trailer owners that they often feel like second class citizens and think that owners of bigger rigs look down their noses at them. At the same time, if they move on to a TT or such, they call it an "upgrade".

I have a small folding trailer. I don't feel like a second class citizen. It works for me and that's all that matters. None of my camper buys have been an upgrade - they've just been what worked at the time.

If someone calls it little? Well it is. If someone calls it cozy? Well it is. Why take offense at the truth?

We moved from a tent to that 2nd class in '04. And we still use it.
Setting up for a month as campground host, another host asked if we would stay in that little thing. I explained that when working I would spend couple weeks at a time in a 5X8 camper, the 7X24 was no issue.
But OTOH, we camp. Most of our time on the site is outside.

I do think that campground/park choice has a lot to do with it. I camp for the most part. And most always dry camp. I don't see people paying much attention to me or my camper because they are busy doing their own thing and wanting to enjoy the outdoors and not socializing with strangers.

At RV parks, I think there is much more socialization and "people watching" so you are more likely to get people commenting on different camper choices.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
I hear from popup and folding trailer owners that they often feel like second class citizens and think that owners of bigger rigs look down their noses at them. At the same time, if they move on to a TT or such, they call it an "upgrade".

I have a small folding trailer. I don't feel like a second class citizen. It works for me and that's all that matters. None of my camper buys have been an upgrade - they've just been what worked at the time.

If someone calls it little? Well it is. If someone calls it cozy? Well it is. Why take offense at the truth?

We moved from a tent to that 2nd class in '04. And we still use it.
Setting up for a month as campground host, another host asked if we would stay in that little thing. I explained that when working I would spend couple weeks at a time in a 5X8 camper, the 7X24 was no issue.
But OTOH, we camp. Most of our time on the site is outside.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our first RV was an Aliner. Often when I would pop it up folks would wander over and ask "Can you do that again?" I always laughed and said sure, lowering and then reraising it in under a minute much to their amazement.

We kept it for a year as my mission to addict my bride to camping was easily accomplished in that time. We loved the Aliner and used it often during that year. With it being so light we could easily just spin it around and or push it into the best location in our site. The seller was selling it for his parents due to a change in their employment/living situation. He was 6' 7" and told me he had plenty of head room but could not be comfortable on the bed or he would have kept it.

They do have a reputation for leaks but ours never did and that included a lot of Arizona summer Monsoon camping. After a year I easily sold it for what we had paid to a buyer sight unseen. His buddy looked at it and assured him that if he didn't buy it { the buddy} would. Nice clean Aliners are very hard to find and hold their value well especially with the significant price increases their entire line has been subject to.

In search of a few more amenities {a larger galley and a full bath} we purchased a nice, lightly used 22' Fleetwood Pioneer Spirit TT that we enjoyed for the next 4.5 years before moving on up to our current 24' Class C. Lots of great memories from our "little" Aliner.

Here is a shot from 2007:

:B

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
hokeypokey wrote:

Often they say “how do you like that LITTLE camper” ?

Maybe... just maybe... they are considering downsizing to something that would get them better fuel mileage and still provide enough comfort to travel around the country in. And they would like input from people with smaller campers.

Just because you are little doesn't mean everybody looks down on you.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Kind of like some of the questions we get about our Smart car, it IS a small Mercedes believe it or not.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Did you get the "cozy" comment yet?

I have tent camped on a motorcycle, used a popup for years and now a travel trailer and heard plenty. You should feel sorry for those that are trapped in their self imposed world.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kind of like some of the questions we get about our Smart car, it IS a small Mercedes believe it or not.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unless there is more to the story that you haven't shared, I think you are simply being oversensitive.

Compared to even a modest house, a big 40ft RV is a small living space, so one less than a quarter that size is legitimately tiny.

As far as leaks...you have an origami roof. It's a logical question regarding how how it keeps the water out.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'