cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

BudnLiz
Explorer
Explorer
ScottandCathy: Check out Tweety'sfor the conversion kit. It's $82.13 there.
Bud
2004 Carriage Compass
2009 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab 6.7 CTD
TruControl, B&W Companion
Schnauzer- Sir Winston

z_i_m
Explorer
Explorer
im not sure i would want a gas fireplace in unit for safety reasons....also i can heat with the power supplied from campsite and save on my propane heat for when i dont have access to power......just for your info......the 24'' arrowflame that i have will heat up to 750 sq. feet........and has 2 heat settings.......so more than enough heat....it is only 8'' deep.....and there is absolutely no heat build up in cabinet and had one of the best flame imagery i have ever seen...wish i had a video of it in motion....

Very nice work! I've been looking in to doing something like this. I have about a 36" area to work with so I should be able to have some choices. Just curious...why did you go with electric? Do you always have hookups?

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
You can't use gas unless you have MOST EXCELLENT venting so I imagine electric is the only other way to go. No?
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

My Home - 2002 Glendale Titanium, 32/37DS with a basement slide.
Our Home's Leader - Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually

Our Leaders - Sam(Bird), Chirp(Bird), Nellie(FAT cat), Lucy(Kitten), Willie(Dog) & Daisy(Dog)

fncampn
Explorer
Explorer
z_i_m wrote:
i wanted a way to heat our TT without having to use gas if possible and i love the fireplace setting............so, i purchaced the smallest arrowflame with 2 heat settings and realistick flame just plugs into outlet and is under the ampridge........i removed the door and shelf that i was not using and framed up around it.......also made a cutout as to get to all wiring and fabricated a speaker grill held in place with velcro.......this was done on a jayco 29n.....it also has a remote for heating and i can set flame hieght (low to high).....this is a 24'' fireplace insert, so would work in any area opening.....one more thing........i built the TV shelf to house the home theater and the 27'' sharp on it.....so i killed 2 birds with 1 stone......electric heat and the joy of just looking at a fireplace setting.....we even use it in the summer without the heat on.......sorry on the blurry photos...had wrong setting on cam at the time

Very nice work! I've been looking in to doing something like this. I have about a 36" area to work with so I should be able to have some choices. Just curious...why did you go with electric? Do you always have hookups?
2017 Ford F250 XLT CCLB 4x4 3.73 6.2 Auto
2018 Rockwood Signature Ultralight 8324BH
Reese SteadyFlex weight distributing hitch - 1,400/14000

Spoiledb71
Explorer
Explorer
More mods on our Dakota. This will feature Shelves I have added or modified.

This was just a unused space next to the wardrobe in the bathroom and was deep enough to reuse some oak trim I saved from an old medicine cabinet.

This shelf I picked up at a yard sale for $2! Gave me instant shelves in the wardrobe.

Added this shelf above where the tv sits just inside the door, handy for cell phones and sun glasses.

This is under where the tv sits so we have a place for DVD and PS2.

Hanging shelf in the top of the pantry.

Wire shelves to expand pantry storage.

Small shelf added for dry goods in bottom of pantry.

I guess this qualifies as a shelf since I did have to add wood to create a bottom in the unused space under the oven. I do remove the contents when the oven is being used, which is not very often.
Bob & Shelly Bella & Missy (Pitbull mix, Maine Coon
2016 North Point 341RLTS
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 CC LB DRW
2006 Terry Dakota (traded)

4HPYCMPRS
Explorer
Explorer
dougsee3 wrote:
My Equal-i-zer storage

Two 2.5" square U-bolts and some nylon hose and some drilled holes and nuts.

dougsee3, Great mod! Great idea! I too needed somewhere to put the Equal-i-zer bars. I chose to put them a little more "out of sight".

Mark.
'08 Chevy Avalanche LT3 6.0L (366hp) 4.10's
'12 Rockwood Signature 8312SS. Equalizer/P3
'06 Honda EU3000iS TomTom ONE 130-S GPS.
Me :h ('71), DW :R ('70), DD :)('01), DD :E ('04).
A wiseman once said "GIT-R-DONE" :?
'13 nights camped- 55

CAMPING PICS & MODS

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
Roadxyz,
The faucet doesn't extend tho I wish it did.It's an Utopia Hi-Rise. We got it from Coast a few years ago. You have to be in the RV or boat repair business to buy from them. We're in the boat end. Your RV dealer may do business with them and can order one for you. I really love it, I can wash the pot's and pan's without fighting the faucet!

cal47
Explorer
Explorer
Changed my cord over last year. I left a foot of cord coming out of the motorhome, cut it and installed a male end on it. Needed to plug into box to complete circuit for generator. I took the end I cut off and installed a female end, the length of the cord is about 23 ft. I also carry a 50ft 30amp cord. total cost, not counting other cord was about 20-25$ add another 25$ for 50 ft cord. Works great and haven't had any problems.
Cal & Donna
Starr (our Lab mix)
2000 FourWinds Chateau 31S
Rickson 17.5 Wheels and Toyo tires
Sani-Con Sewer Solution
Pressure Pro System
1996 Grand Cherokee Toad W/Ready Brake System
Rand McNally RVND 5510
Bigfoot Levelers

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
ScottandCathy wrote:
I will be converting my electrical cord to a detachable style.(Conversion kit) For those of you that have done this conversion, anything tricky I should be aware of??

Wow. 109.00!!!
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

ScottandCathy
Explorer
Explorer
I will be converting my electrical cord to a detachable style.(Conversion kit) For those of you that have done this conversion, anything tricky I should be aware of??
06 Dodge Ram 2500HD MegaCab 4x4, Cummins I6 5.9 CIT, 3.73 gears
Prodigy brake controller, Reese dual cam sway/WD
08 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS

z_i_m
Explorer
Explorer
opps

z_i_m
Explorer
Explorer
i wanted a way to heat our TT without having to use gas if possible and i love the fireplace setting............so, i purchaced the smallest arrowflame with 2 heat settings and realistick flame just plugs into outlet and is under the ampridge........i removed the door and shelf that i was not using and framed up around it.......also made a cutout as to get to all wiring and fabricated a speaker grill held in place with velcro.......this was done on a jayco 29n.....it also has a remote for heating and i can set flame hieght (low to high).....this is a 24'' fireplace insert, so would work in any area opening.....one more thing........i built the TV shelf to house the home theater and the 27'' sharp on it.....so i killed 2 birds with 1 stone......electric heat and the joy of just looking at a fireplace setting.....we even use it in the summer without the heat on.......sorry on the blurry photos...had wrong setting on cam at the time

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
KLO : you posted pics of your mods .. what is the kitchen faucet .. it looks like it extends like I would like my "dream" faucet to be.
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)

DarylSue
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly............
Daryl/Sue, part time kids and 2 GC

2013 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE
2012 Chevy Silverado CC 4x4
w/HD tow pkg.
Voyager BC
Reese Dual Cam/WD