cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

sonicsix
Explorer
Explorer
sdavis622 wrote:
Well, first I am no electrician! I saw this done on another forum, or by another member, can't recall. Basically I just figured it to be a hard mounted extension cord. Most electrical posts at campgrounds have breaker on the 20a plug so I figured that would cover it. Maybe I should add a GFCI... never thought about that! Thanks for the insight. Like I said I am no electrician, and this seemed simple enough.

I did this mod a while back, and I used 14 AWG wire. This outlet is used for a toaster oven, a griddle or a hair dryer. Always one at a time, so overloading the wire is not a worry. The cords on the appliances are much thinner than the 14 AWG wire I used to wire the outlet.

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
sdavis622 wrote:
Well, first I am no electrician! I saw this done on another forum, or by another member, can't recall. Basically I just figured it to be a hard mounted extension cord. Most electrical posts at campgrounds have breaker on the 20a plug so I figured that would cover it. Maybe I should add a GFCI... never thought about that! Thanks for the insight. Like I said I am no electrician, and this seemed simple enough.

I would pull the proper 12 AWG wire rated 20 Amp and add a GFCI to the first outlet in the run. Easy fix to make it right. If that 15 AMP wire was ever overloaded on a 20 amp circuit the result could be very bad and result in a fire. The 20 Amp breaker on the pole does not prevent electrocution only a GFCI can do that. The breaker only prevents the overloading of a circuit. Good Luck.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
sdavis622 wrote:

What you have is a potential hazard your 15 amp wire could heat up before the 20 amp breaker trips. Beware! A GFI outlet would also be nice but using the wrong wire is more of a danger than omitting the GFI.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

jwbagm
Explorer
Explorer
added the ultra fab 3502 electric jack today and started mounting the stabilizer bars to the front scissor jacks today and will work on some more mods tommorrow before heading out for our last trip of the year.

sdavis622
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi
2020 Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
sdavis622 wrote:
Added extension cord wired to two different outlets. To power DW's hair dryer or ceramic heater when at parks. Seperate from trailers existing power source. 3" hole saw, measure twice, check for studs and electrical, drill pilot hole to check location, cut once!

One outlet at end of kitchen counter for heater, etc.

One in bathroom for hair dryer and flat iron!

Comes in underneath kitchen sink, built wood surround for cord to roll up in. 45' 14awg wire.

I like the mod but why not just add a breaker? Is your panel maxed with breakers and no room to add? If so, you could have used a tandem breaker to give you the expansion room in the box. With another breaker you would not have to plug in another cord. Then again, even if not maxed with breakers a 30 AMP connection is still limited at times. The only thing you did not note is if you used a GFCI outlet on the first outlet wired in? Since it is wired to the bathroom one would be needed if you did not.

Also, I noticed you used 14 AWG wire (15 AMP) not 12 AWG (20 AMP) 12 wire would have given you the full 20 AMP capability from the pole you plug into. Those are usually rated 20 AMP at most campgrounds.

Mic_bug
Explorer
Explorer
I'd agree...ceiling there is pretty wavey

2001 CC/SB...& 5 wheels

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
We had a few things to repair when we got the trailer. One of which was track down some leaks. Gotta love it. I am happy with the way the shower rod turned out and hope to try it out yet this year.
Dave
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you have fixed what appears to be some fairly serious leakage in the roof area in those pics from the wavy ceiling panels. That doesn't bode well down the road.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,
We are pretty new to the TT world as we have tent camped for over 20 years after getting out of pop up.(never going to do that again)
We did our first mod to the 2002 Flagstaff 23'. Had to have more room in the shower so we picked up a curved hotel shower rod which we cut down to fit and a support bracket for the center. The way our shower is at the rear corner of the trailer it has the curve of the roof in it so we took the shower rod to the side wall where it is flat. Real happy with the way it turned out although we have not used it yet. Here are a few pics of the finished product. Each end of the rod was pre bent. I used the bent end of the smaller tube to make the bend to go to the side wall and just cut the pipe to length and drilled a new hole for the mount. The support bracket was found in the curtain rod isle at Lowes. I drilled a hole where the two tubes went together and installed a SS #10 srew and nut and capped it with a rubber cap to act as a stop for the curtain rings. I tried to bend the tube with a conduit bender and all it did was kink, this was before I used the end already bent buy the manufacturer.

Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

In_The_Dawghous
Explorer
Explorer
I decided we needed a breakfast bar, so I moved the couch and put one in. This is a rough fitting in the picture. I stil have some finish work to do to it but I think it will work out pretty good. I even had room left when I was done for my recliner.

Gordon, Susie, Diane, Catie, Susan, Shawn, Annie, Jessi, Keith, Selena.(Yes, 8 kids)
1 Dog Bonnie.
96 Rexhall Aerbus Class A (The Dawghouse II)

Castaway Campers site

Our Photos

Sunshineinal
Explorer
Explorer
JeffBett wrote:
In the last couple of weeks, I have done so many mods they would fill a page. I decided to just put them on my family website for all to see.

My Mods

Most my mods are for storage optimization. After doing so many and getting into almost ever inch of my new TT I feel I really know it better and will be able to maintain it better now. One thing I learned is that they don't know what a vacuum is at the factory. I bet I sucked out more then 2 lbs of sawdust, cutout scraps, trim, and extra screws, etc. from the areas they figure we will never see.

Jeff, I'm a bit late to this party but I just saw your mods and had to tell you how impressed I am at all the extra space you found in your TT. I saw several that I plan to use when I get my RV. I also think your "bouncing Baby Boy" is adorable.

toprudder
Explorer
Explorer
Wow!! Glad I found this thread, lots of good ideas (some I can't wait to do myself).

My new camper has a rather small shower, so I thought about installing a curved shower rod to give a little more elbow room. However, while I was surfing I found this. My shower was only 32" wide, however, and was too small for the shower rod as designed, but I was able to trim some length from the pieces to make it work. Much more room now!
Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
Finally finished the much talked about 30 Amp receptacle to get rid of mouse hole and free up more inside storage. With receptacle parts total project cost under $25.00 for flanged receptical and new connector for cut end of power cord.

Added inside handle to screen door slider.

Cut 4" DWV PVC in half lengthwise for cheap stinky hose support rack.

Used one piece from above to line bottom of rear bumper hose storage. Now hose slides in and out with ease and no worries about rusty inside damaging hose.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
Scissor jack slip cover. Next trip will be lots of rain and some dirt roads. Wondering how to clean threads before operating and it occurred to to me "why get them dirty?" With jack almost all the way up I cut pieces of foam pipe insulation (with slit down side) and slipped over threads and left with slit pointing to rear. Bingo disposable thread protectors.
Back-up idea. With jacks fully retracted simply cover front with a strip of duct tape.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike