cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cool truck camper from Switzerland

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
I saw this in the Salt Lake City REI parking lot the other day. A 4wd truck camper without the weight or space imitations of the bed. Is anything like this available in the US? I know people use flatbeds for similar applications, but they add weight, cost and height.

10 REPLIES 10

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info about the French website. Impressive stuff.

Thanks for the link to the Phoenix chassis mount campers. I'll give them a call.

Kayteg1 wrote:
Oh, come'on
It is refrigeration truck. 😉

It does look like that. I guess that is why I spent the rest of the day wanting an ice cream sandwich.

gbopp wrote:
Is that the entry door beside the bird mural?

Yes and the the roof pops up also.

Bedlam wrote:
That looks more like a Class C with no way to remove the camper from the truck when camping.

You are right it is kinda like a DIY class C. I don't need a pickup, but I would like a 4wd camper. This isn't for someone that wants/needs a pickup. Adding 4wd to a class B or class C is expensive.

I've been looking at truck campers and it looks like you need a pretty big truck to have enough payload. Doing it this way means you aren't hauling around the pickup bed and the weight associated with it. I don't know how much the bed weighs, but I bet it is over 500 pounds. If you knocked 500 pounds off a F150 you could add a lot of camper and not need to jump to a 250/350. Not having to fit the camper in the bed also means the camper can have a lot more floor space and better outside storage.

flaxi wrote:
Tiger: http://www.tigervehicles.com/tiger-models/

Thanks for the link. The Tiger is really nice and is out my price range.

flaxi
Explorer
Explorer

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I didn't know about Phoenix, but what a horrible website. I'm amazed how "creative" some website designers are and are capable of making an even fast internet connections slow. 🙂 Still, pretty cool that their family were the original owners of FWC.

The OP's camper is http://globe-camper.com/ They have some interesting designs as well, and some even have doors. 🙂

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both Northstar and FWC make flatbed only models.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Is that the entry door beside the bird mural?

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Just checked them out on their French website. They manufacture fully customized camper shells; some quite sophisticated. They have pop-up roofs; one could have a roof pop-up on any side, or full 4 corner pop-up.

They have a digital CAD/CAM cutting machine where they feed the roof, and walls through to cut out for appliances. The camper shell itself appears to be removable (the customer can have any removal system installed they wanted).

Their gallery shows many units installed on Land Rover Defender pick-up (cutaway) trucks.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Bedlam
That looks more like a Class C with no way to remove the camper from the truck when camping.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Made by a French company, could contact them about imports. Might be cheaper to have a custom fiberglass sleeper cab built (or buy a used one) and put it on a chassis cab 3500.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, come'on
It is refrigeration truck. 😉