cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cost of accessories new camper

Spikeman
Explorer
Explorer
I have never purchase a truck camper before do you find these installed prices to be average and reasonable:

4 Torklift Brackets W/4 Happijac Turnbuckles & Chain
includes Qwik Release Handles ($150.00) N/C $1,095.00

Torklift Expandable 4 Step (GlowStep) $ 328.00

2 Group 24 12V AGM Batteries of average quality $590.00

2nd Solar Panel 100watt $475.00

Thanks in advance
25 REPLIES 25

Spikeman
Explorer
Explorer
I have decided not to get extra battery and 2nd solar panel will install my own. Went with the tie downs for extra safety when off road Have Bilstein shocks off road tires hill decent electric transfer case 12in ground clearance Sumo super springs

Spikeman
Explorer
Explorer
(This is not my actual camper but similar model to mine)Good call on the solar I thought it to be totally substandard this unit came from the factory that way. Is it the dealers responsibility to correct this before delivery or will I get a wait for warranty claim runaround excuse

kirkl
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what kind of truck you have but i bought the torklift tie downs for my 2017 ram 2500 and installed them myself off of amazon for $600. It was actually pretty easy and bought the happy jack quick release for like $250 off amazon.
2017 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4 LB
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
2014 Adventurer 80RB

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spikeman wrote:
I have never purchase a truck camper before do you find these installed prices to be average and reasonable:

Thanks in advance

Check Craigslist for the quick release FastGuns by Torklift.
You will probably also want to upgrade the truck's factory shock absorbers to something like Rancho 9000's or Bilstiens.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Youngm3571
Explorer
Explorer
If it was me:
Skip the quick release handles (doesnโ€™t save much time)
A new camper should come w/batteries if not Iโ€™d buy (2) $80 Costco batteries
Skip the extra solar panel until you need it
Buy the Tork Lifts but pay a local mechanic to install them

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
toddb wrote:
Spikeman wrote:
Existing panel not too neat Thanks

is that a big glob of sealant on the panel upper left corner? That'll kill the string.

Most amusing glob/river of sealant.

You still need to do more work. Yes, get the glob off the solar cells, it should not be covering the cells, especially if "professionally" installed.

The blister where the wire goes into the roof is sideways. The aero part should be facing forward, and the wires to the back. The whole idea is to keep water out.

The wires from the panel to the blister need to be covered with wire loom. They will get brittle and crack from UV rays otherwise over time. And do your best to have them lay flat on the roof, not poke straight up.

toddb
Explorer
Explorer
Spikeman wrote:
Existing panel not too neat Thanks

is that a big glob of sealant on the panel upper left corner? That'll kill the string.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Stable-Lift on dually will make wide-body setup, what will put even more limits where you can go.
I was thinking about buying 1, but why spend money on something I already have working well?
I'd rather spend the money to replace dark brown granite counter-tops in our kitchen with lighter color granite.
DW will be much happier.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
You must not understand the Stable-Lift.

I don't...It just seems by pictures the bottom bar running from the front to back would limit where you can go...Where you can pick a path to keep the rocks from beating up the axles,that bottom bar would limit more places just like adding running boards..

It certainly seems like the most stable system for a truck camper by far..I guess I'll have to take a closer look at them..These corner Jack's are a disaster waiting to happen...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
burningman wrote:
Wow... I hadnโ€™t thought about it this way, but the money you guys are spending just to tie down your campers would seriously offset the cost of getting a Stable-Lift instead!
Not only does it work WAY better than corner jacks, it eliminates having tiedowns.

When you factor that in, it costs LESS than electric corner jacks.

I agree..The only problem with the Stable-Lift is the ground clearance..I don't understand why they have not addressed that with something like a release that let's you take the bottom half off for going in rougher terrain...

Except for that,the system is hard to beat..

You must not understand the Stable-Lift.
You CAN un-pin the bottom of it if you want to. Itโ€™s easy.
However, thatโ€™s what clamps the camper down to the truck.
Ground clearance is fine, itโ€™s not as low as your axles already are.
If you do bang something, itโ€™s generally no big deal. Itโ€™s really hard to damage a Stable-Lift. If you bang something with a corner jack, they rip right out.
And in general, anywhere you canโ€™t go because of a Stable-Lift is somewhere youโ€™re not going with a big cabover camper anyway.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Spikeman wrote:

Thanks in advance

And there are cheaper alternatives than Torklift,like Happi-jack stuff or flooded(normal) batteries and portable solar panels..Torklift is flat out spendy stuff..I own none of it...But it is quality stuff,I guess..

There are people out there that still use Brophy tie downs(less than $100) on smaller TC's like this guy..

Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Wow... I hadnโ€™t thought about it this way, but the money you guys are spending just to tie down your campers would seriously offset the cost of getting a Stable-Lift instead!
Not only does it work WAY better than corner jacks, it eliminates having tiedowns.

I agree..The only problem with the Stable-Lift is the ground clearance..I don't understand why they have not addressed that with something like a release that let's you take the bottom half off for going in rougher terrain...

Except for that,the system is hard to beat..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

burningman
Explorer
Explorer

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spikeman wrote:

Thanks in advance

I could not find anyone near me to install the Torklift brackets on my new truck. It was a lot of work and required a couple of phone calls and some slight modifications of the predrilled Torklift bolt holes.

AGM batteries can be expensive. I replaced mine last year. The best price I could find for 2 150 AH Lifelines was close to $1000.

I think I paid about the same to have a second solar panel installed. The costs included the panel and the time knowledge and expertise of the installer. I have done a lot of my own repairs and modifications but I would not be interested in wrestling a heavy solar panel onto the roof and installing the brackets.