cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

crank up antenna won't crank up

poorboy
Explorer
Explorer
stayed at a campground this past week that had no cable, so I tried to use the crank up antenna. It was not cranking and not going up. What I would really like to know is, has anybody changed there's from a crank up to a fixed antenna like the ones you see on airstreams. Not interested in dishes or very expensive satellite systems (nothing that good on TV to spend that kind of money). Thanks in advance.
2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life
12 REPLIES 12

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I take mine partially apart a couple of times a year and lube it with silicone spray. It's a maintenance item.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
it is made of aluminum which can get a oxidation on it and make the gears really hard to move. lubing it might help. I do not know about rubber roofs and lube...

Worst case, go to a junkyard and find an old RV with a working one. It will be cheap.

I had a boomerang on my first on. Like what you would see on an old limosuine. It kinda worked, so I had to get a signal booster to increase the signal.

The crank up is the best as you can turn/aim it, and it raises above your AC unit so nothing blocks it.
Though I have never tried a dome one. sounds expensive...

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I don't know why anyone would call a Winegard Batwing mediocre. I can pull in more with that sitting in front of my home and get more than 80 stations. I can now with the sensor pro get more than with the house rooftop antenna.

The batwing is the best of all RV antenna

I would certainly hope so,you are about 10 miles from the transmitters :B

While sitting in my driveway at 26 miles from the same transmitters I get 174

With My Jack Antenna

:B:B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know why anyone would call a Winegard Batwing mediocre. I can pull in more with that sitting in front of my home and get more than 80 stations. I can now with the sensor pro get more than with the house rooftop antenna.

The batwing is the best of all RV antennas.

There used to be a member on here that test all of the antennas he could get to test and the best was a Winegard Batwing. By the way his handle was Santa Clarita Jeff, a very nice person.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

poorboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all with great info, it is a great help, with the weather being good, I will tackle this with alot more knowledge, thanks.
2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful of what you spray around your roof. Silicone is probably the safest thing.
Here's a video that might help and as others have said...You have the best antenna out there. Fix it or replace it with the same. A Batwing addition helps a lot.
mantainence
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
mchero wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
Iโ€™d try to find out why the crank up wouldnโ€™t crank. If itโ€™s a Winegard itโ€™s the absolute best of a mediocre bunch. Have you lubed it lately? There is an annual maintenance procedure that should be followed.

Absolutely correct! Apparently it's not properly maintained. Those crank up's are the best as long as the head is good and the transformer is sending power to the head.
If you look at the top plate there is a small hole that you can put some lube in. I just use WD-40 and stick the red tube in the hole and spray. It is the cheapest solution especially when there is not much worth watching on TV.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got a new Wineguard for $122.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Iโ€™d try to find out why the crank up wouldnโ€™t crank. If itโ€™s a Winegard itโ€™s the absolute best of a mediocre bunch. Have you lubed it lately? There is an annual maintenance procedure that should be followed.

Absolutely correct! Apparently it's not properly maintained. Those crank up's are the best as long as the head is good and the transformer is sending power to the head.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
poorboy wrote:
stayed at a campground this past week that had no cable, so I tried to use the crank up antenna. It was not cranking and not going up. What I would really like to know is, has anybody changed there's from a crank up to a fixed antenna like the ones you see on airstreams. Not interested in dishes or very expensive satellite systems (nothing that good on TV to spend that kind of money). Thanks in advance.

Throw away the crank up antenna. Replace it with an antenna that has a little dome receiver that covers the old hole. It is only about 3 inches high. it will automatically search and find TV stations.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I helped my Son In Law to do just that, he put on the Jack Antenna and to cover the hole left from the crank up antenna you will need This mounting Plate

Worked out nicely. If you scroll down to the pictures you will see what it looks like mounted. It gets great reception.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C