cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cruise Controls

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
OK, technically this probably isn't a TV issue but it has been bugging me so I thought I'd post and see what responses I get.

I used to own a couple of different Chev TV's. Both were D/A's and now I am on my second Dodge. What is driving me nuts is the "resume" behavior of the cruise control.

In the Chev's, if I had my cruise set for 100 kph and had to stop, upon resuming - even from a very low speed like 30 kph - the cruise would accelerate my truck back up to speed at a very rational, realistic acceleration rate. In my Dodge, not so much. Hit resume at a speed that is even a few kph or mph below the set speed and it goes into drag race mode. RPM jumps to 3000 and the truck takes off like there is no tomorrow. It is ridiculous.

What experience do others have? Am I dreaming about how my Chev used to behave? Marty, you have basically the same truck I used to have. How does your cruise behave if you hit resume when you are 10 or more mph below the set speed? Is this behavior configurable on the Chevs? What about Fords?

Thanks

Bert
15 REPLIES 15

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I won't say my 2011 D/A goes into Drag Race mode, but depending on what speed you're doing when you hit Resume, it may drop several gears. So, as some others, I generally get back close to speed before hitting resume. And just for info, used cruise alot on our recent 17,000 mile trip.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
:h

Trying to recall, since I recently had a Ford F-350 and now the new Ram 3500.

The Ram DOES want to drag race when hitting resume. Now it is a good acceleration, it just does not strike me to be that much of a huge difference between this vehicle and my previous Ford.

I just don't recall exactly how the Ford behaved under the same circumstances.

Sorry!
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
My GMs have all tried to regain speed at a rapid rate. My Ford seems a little more laid back about it, but usually, I don't hit 'resume' until I've accelerated back to the set speed.

Good luck!
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
I've owned 4 Chevy's from '01 thru '07. None had any adjustment to the cruise control behavior. I think your are remembering something that didn't exist.
I've driven Dodge, Ford and Chevy trucks and use the cruise a lot. The Chevy design is by far the most civilized in how it accelerates. It also hold the speed a lot closer. I rarely see more than a 1 or 2 MPH fluctuation with the Chevy if unloaded. The Dodge and Fords I've driven would fluctuate as much as 10 MPH when unloaded. The Dodge would, as you say, take off like a drag racer when hitting resume. The Fords I drive have quite the opposite effect. They seem to take several minutes to even notice I hit the button and very very gradually get back up to speed.

Thanks for the input. I guess when the time comes to replace my current truck, I will be either going back to GM or over to Ford. I use my cruise control far too much to put up with the nonsense Dodge has in theirs.

Bert

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned 4 Chevy's from '01 thru '07. None had any adjustment to the cruise control behavior. I think your are remembering something that didn't exist.
I've driven Dodge, Ford and Chevy trucks and use the cruise a lot. The Chevy design is by far the most civilized in how it accelerates. It also hold the speed a lot closer. I rarely see more than a 1 or 2 MPH fluctuation with the Chevy if unloaded. The Dodge and Fords I've driven would fluctuate as much as 10 MPH when unloaded. The Dodge would, as you say, take off like a drag racer when hitting resume. The Fords I drive have quite the opposite effect. They seem to take several minutes to even notice I hit the button and very very gradually get back up to speed.

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
like you I have had many cars and trucks and one of them was the same way you are talking about. I didn't like that feature either but I just gave it gas via the foot petal.

And I suspect that I will have to throw in the towel as well. :R I was just kinda hoping that maybe someone knew something about these things that I don't know 🙂

Bert

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
My F-350 accelerates at a reasonable pace. But I have had vehicles in the past that used the drag racer mode. Seems like my 96 Burb did that.

Do yo know if that is unique to your vehicle or is it a common trait across Fords?

Bert

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
No, at least not directly. It would take some serious automotive programming skills. My Suzuki does the same thing when going up moderate hills. Drops at least one gear then RPM jumps 2000 or more RPM. I have learned to just cancel and drive up the hills.
BTW when towing my Dodge Cummins does not have the problem. Hummm?
What I have learned to do is just use the throttle to get close then hit resume

I was thinking more along the lines of the configuration being done via the DIC. There probably are some after market hacks you can do - and, at this point, I am open to any of them - but I was hoping that there was a supported way of doing it.

I know that my Chev's cruise control behaved quite differently in tow/haul mode than when it wasn't in tow/haul. I haven't towed enough with the Dodges to make any kind of comparison, though, so I'm not sure.

Yeah, I pretty well gave up on hitting resume as well. I just asked because I decided to try it again the other day (new truck) to see if there was a difference. Unfortunately, my 2014 behaves exactly the same as my 2010 did 😞

Bert

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
like you I have had many cars and trucks and one of them was the same way you are talking about. I didn't like that feature either but I just gave it gas via the foot petal.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
BertP wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Transmission programming, crusie control programming, engine torque all play into the equasion

OK, so are any of those factors under your direct control? For some reason, I have in the back of my mind that I could change the programming of my Chev to specify how aggressive I wanted it to accelerate but I'm not 100% sure on that. But, both of my Dodge's would put you in the back seat if you hit resume and weren't prepared for it. My dealer says that it can't be changed 😞

Bert

No, at least not directly. It would take some serious automotive programming skills. My Suzuki does the same thing when going up moderate hills. Drops at least one gear then RPM jumps 2000 or more RPM. I have learned to just cancel and drive up the hills.
BTW when towing my Dodge Cummins does not have the problem. Hummm?
What I have learned to do is just use the throttle to get close then hit resume

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I've never used the resume. Guess I'll have to try it sometime.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Transmission programming, crusie control programming, engine torque all play into the equasion

OK, so are any of those factors under your direct control? For some reason, I have in the back of my mind that I could change the programming of my Chev to specify how aggressive I wanted it to accelerate but I'm not 100% sure on that. But, both of my Dodge's would put you in the back seat if you hit resume and weren't prepared for it. My dealer says that it can't be changed 😞

Bert

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:

A very correct answer. ^^^^^^
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
My F-350 accelerates at a reasonable pace. But I have had vehicles in the past that used the drag racer mode. Seems like my 96 Burb did that.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper