cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cummins grid heater spiking voltage?

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is lightly used and I have already had to replace the LED brake and running lights. Today, I replaced all my amber LED marker lights which were obviously smoked. I have an 04 Ram and am wondering if the truck is sending an over-voltage to my running lights.

When I cold start the truck the grid heater will cycle causing the headlights to dim and the fan motor to slow. In a minute they will speed up and brighten. This is from the outset even with new batteries. Would this voltage fluctuation have an impact on my trailer lights?

Any ideas to protect my trailer running lights? Should I wait for the engine to warm before turning on the lights? Do they make voltage regulators I could dedicate to my running lights circuit?

All of my truck lighting has no issues but is incandescent.
7 REPLIES 7

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:

When I cold start the truck the grid heater will cycle causing the headlights to dim and the fan motor to slow. In a minute they will speed up and brighten. This is from the outset even with new batteries. Would this voltage fluctuation have an impact on my trailer lights?

When it's very cold outside, my truck's alternator can apparently crank the voltage up over 15V. Our car went over 15.3V this winter. This is measured at the cig lighter inside.

Perhaps the original LED lamps can't handle that high a voltage, if it is appearing on the trailer wiring?
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go with the idea that I had cheap marker lights and hope my replacements are of higher quality.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Had my '04 Dodge for over 14 years and the flux never bothered mt trailer lights one bit.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Many current LED packages are not real tolerant to voltage changes. I recently had to replace all of my cheap interior LED bulbs because some LED segments would intermittently start to flash/blink due to voltage fluctuation. The new series I bought are rated for 12 to 24 VDC and have internal voltage regulation. And yes cost more....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
jmtandem wrote:
My trailer is lightly used and I have already had to replace the LED brake and running lights. Today, I replaced all my amber LED marker lights which were obviously smoked. I have an 04 Ram and am wondering if the truck is sending an over-voltage to my running lights.

Any ideas to protect my trailer running lights? Should I wait for the engine to warm before turning on the lights? Do they make voltage regulators I could dedicate to my running lights circuit?

All you are experiencing with the truck is perfectly normal. And, no, it is not taking out your trailer lights. You have another issue somewhere.

Totally agree.
You are not seeing "spikes", your seeing the voltage sag and then come back to normal. It is not affecting your running lights at all other than their supply voltage is dropped down to around 12 volts for a couple of seconds.
Nothing to worry about.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Elec wise these folks pretty sharp at least on 2nd gen's. I'm about ready to disconnect my (180 amp) grid heaters.
I would ask here:
https://mopar1973man.com/forum/19-3rd-generation-dodge-powertrain/
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II

All you are experiencing with the truck is perfectly normal. And, no, it is not taking out your trailer lights. You have another issue somewhere.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.