cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cure for squeaky turnbuckles

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
I have the TL Fastguns and when driving with the window down the squeaky turnbuckle is annoying.
I plan to try some WD 40 or silicone spray down the rod and hope it seeps into the inside.
Are they able to be disassembled and greased or any better way to lube them?
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
6 REPLIES 6

bcbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
I took mine apart approx. 6 years ago and used copper Neversieze, no problem ever since.
2002 Dodge 3500 2wd dually, cummins, 4.10 gears, 10500gvwr, Rancho 9000's shocks
2005 Bigfoot 259.6E, 80watt solar, eu2000 Honda gen., 2x group 31 AGM bats., 7100 btu aircond, electric rear step.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wouldn't use graphite that didn't absolutely require it due to the mess. I'd try Lithium Grease or Lithium Grease Spray.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
I got sold on the graphite from the kid's pinewood derby days. I also put a few drops of 3 in 1 oil in each jack either at loading time or upon return home.

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
I'm SO glad you posted this. I was having the same annoying problem and was about to try to deal with it. I'll try the graphite upside down thing:)

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
You don't have to disassemble them. Flip them upside down and you can lubricate them around the threaded nut where the rod screws in and out to adjust the length. (If they're still made the same as those made several years back)

I give mine a shot of silicone spray, let it run down inside, and then wipe them down. I haven't noticed the silicone attracting dirt any more than without the spray. In fact it makes them shine and they seem to clean up quite easy.
Joe & Evelyn

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
WD-40 is not a lubricant. It is a solvent It will, however, cause dust and dirt to stick making things worse.

I used graphite on mine and they got quiet. No disassembly required. (but you may have to wash your hands after you apply it if you are as sloppy as I am)
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site