cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debating another tow vehicle

gmcman
Explorer
Explorer
While looking further into a boat purchase, I've always been trying for a good 8.1 Burb w/ 4:10, but might look into a Ram 2500 6.4. The reason for the 6.4 is the higher price to purchase the diesel, and I'm looking to pull between 10K-12K, might even have to go almost to 13K.

Granted the 8.1 can get me 12K, but a triple axle trailer will eat 2200 lbs of that.
The reason for the RAM, the rear seats recline and I can use this for road trips as well. I won't need a 5th wheel so a Mega Cab can work with the shorter bed. I also like the fact the crew cabs have reclining rear seats.

So my questions are, what years should I avoid with the 2500 RAM? I would like to get the 6.4 if I go gas.

If by chance I did use a 5th wheel down the road, would this not be recommended in a 6.5' bed with the Mega Cab?

Are these trucks legal with 12K without a WD hitch?

My budget is under 30K if possible, also, any real-world MPG stats with the 6.4 that people could share without a trailer and a 65 MPH cruise?

All input and criticism welcomed.
7 REPLIES 7

blt2ski
I was legal with a 12K total equipment trailer, 1500 lbs of hitch wt with my 8 lug single wheel trucks. Thats going back to my 88, 96 and 2000 trucks. Not to mention my 05 DW 3500, and my 82 IHC class 6.

WD systems have no requirement in laws, at least here where I am in Wa st. Same with sway control. Altho having a trailer that goes IIRC 12 if not 18" side to side will net you a moving violation, along with getting red tagged so You can not move the rig until you show the trailer with not go sideways uncontrolled. If that takes a sway bar, great. If you can do it shifting weight etc with in the trailer, great. If not, you can find a low boy or tilt deck to get the trailer off the road!

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
To address your question about a WD hitch, a WD hitch has no bearing on legality at all. Most boats are fairly tongue light compared with travel trailers anyway. A 2500 series truck should handle the tongue weight of a 12K boat trailer easily.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

gmcman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips on the 6 speed. I don't think the Allison is avail in the Suburban, and I agree the fuel economy is not remotely pleasant, albeit the 6.4 prob fares slightly better.

The 2019+ 2500 Laramie Mega Cab is a sweet truck, have to pay to play though.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I wouldn’t get a 6.4 with a 6 speed or a 8.1 without an Alli behind it.
And neither of them will get much for mpg. If you have to ask, you’re not going to like pulling up to the pump with either one.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Stay away from the 6.4 6sp with those weights. Go 2019+ 8sp. You'll thank me down the road.

gmcman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info.

In regards to the 5th wheel, that's actually a stretch but would only consider it if I had the RAM, but not in the plans as of now.

I have found a few 8.1's, but you're right, the good ones are usually at a distance.

I thought they figured out the lifter issue but maybe not.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some criticism:
- Finding a decent 8.1 Burb is going to be a hard find and you will need to be prepared to travel to look at one. Will most likely perform worse than the 6.4 Hemi and you mention a 5th wheel could be in your future so that won't happen behind a Burb.
- The Hemi's still appear to have lifter failures and eat the cam lobes and from what I hear the 6.4 may have a slightly higher failure rate over the 5.7. I would avoid prolonged idle time. Stay away from the 6.4 with the 68 transmission.

Good luck and report what you landed with.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"